SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Disconnecting the power to the antenna

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-24, 12:33 PM
mcgene
Pit Crew

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Disconnecting the power to the antenna

I recently replaced the power antenna with a small fixed one. Radio works fine with it (even though I seldom listen to the radio). The power to the antenna is still operative.
Is there a fuse I can pull that will stop the antenna motor? I know I can tear up the trunk and pull the power to the motor -- but it would be so much easier if there was a fuse that would do the same job.
Thanks for your thoughts.
-gene
Old 01-29-24, 12:52 PM
Tanker
Pit Crew

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

19 DOME 7.5 Interior light, Personal lights, Vanity lights, Foot lights, engine switch light, Trunk light, Antenna, Garage door opener system, Audio system

I think you will want to disconnect it at the motor.
Old 01-29-24, 01:37 PM
mcgene
Pit Crew

Thanks, Tanker. You gave me what I really needed -- all the other things connected to a single fuse.
You are so right -- disconnect at the motor!!!
Old 01-30-24, 09:55 AM
mcgene
Pit Crew

After watching a YouTube video on all that is needed to get to the antenna motor -- I'm gonna let the sucker run. I can't see it harming anything and the effort to remove the panel to get to the antenna motor is simply more than I care to undertake for the minor benefit.
Below is the video I found:
Replacing the antenna is in 3 parts -- this first part is how to get to the motor.
Enjoy!!!
Old 01-30-24, 08:18 PM
Counselor1
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking Cutting power to the antenna

I know that there is a very simple way to cut power to the antenna because In watching the installation of an updated radio on utube the installer just clipped one wire behind the radio and installed an on/off toggle switch which he ran over to the glove box.Piece of cake if you know which wire to clip. Anyone out there with the correct info to share with the rest of us technically challenged owners. You will be a hero if you share !!
Old 01-31-24, 05:51 AM
Tanker
Pit Crew

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Honestly it's not that hard of job to do. I've done it on my car.

Watch the video, then start on the car pausing the video as you need.

I took the motor out completely. got the broken plastic gear cable out. Cleaned and regreased the gears. Re installed the motor and fed a new factory antenna in. About 2 hours in total.

I did disassemble the motor on a table and that made it easier to work on. I'd honestly tell you the hardest part of the entire job was re connecting the antenna cable for the radio itself.
The following users liked this post:
TopSCdown (01-31-24)
Old 02-01-24, 05:35 AM
mcgene
Pit Crew

Thanks, guys. Since I installed a little stubby antenna, I don't need to replace the power antenna any longer. If I knew which wire to clip behind the radio, I might take that route. I'm probably making a mountain out of a mole hill. Really, the antenna motor is not "bothering" me. Frankly, I only hear it run when I turn off the car.
One thing I have noticed, is there aren't many after-market things for the SC -- at least not many in my budget. I'm not interested in replacing the exhaust system, etc.