SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Stand alone CarPlay Unit

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-24, 08:35 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 904 Likes on 725 Posts

Originally Posted by mcgene
First step of the installation process went very smoothly. I'm using the window mount -- the dash mount is too tall. The slope of the windshield interferes with the dash mount.
Connected to my iPhone via Bluetooth instantly.
Routed the power wire into the cigarette socket and did a so-so job of tucking the wire in with the excess rolled up in the ashtray (which I removed).
It came with a backup camera -- that's for another day.
I'll keep you guys in the loop as I get more experience.
-gene
looks really good Gene, much better than i invisioned.
Daryl suggested using the suction cup on the nav door. Did ya try that, How does it look?

also, you mentioned a Pioneer radio, did you mean the OEM pioneer or aftermarket Pioneer radio?

Last edited by Bgw70; 02-06-24 at 08:48 AM.
Old 02-06-24, 09:01 AM
SGB4570
Advanced

Received 74 Likes on 62 Posts

First step of the installation process went very smoothly. I'm using the window mount -- the dash mount is too tall. The slope of the windshield interferes with the dash mount.
Connected to my iPhone via Bluetooth instantly.
Routed the power wire into the cigarette socket and did a so-so job of tucking the wire in with the excess rolled up in the ashtray (which I removed).
It came with a backup camera -- that's for another day.
I'll keep you guys in the loop as I get more experience.
-gene

What's the little box to the left? Part of the system or something different?
Old 02-06-24, 09:03 AM
SGB4570
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bgw70
looks really good Gene, much better than i invisioned.
Daryl suggested using the suction cup on the nav door. Did ya try that, How does it look?

also, you mentioned a Pioneer radio, did you mean the OEM pioneer or aftermarket Pioneer radio?
Did some of these come with a pioneer radio? I thought they were all the "ML" radios.
Old 02-06-24, 09:26 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SGB4570
Did some of these come with a pioneer radio? I thought they were all the "ML" radios.
as far as i know, they were all Pioneer head units.
ML is a system name and it includes the head unit, amp and speakers.

attached is the pioneer manual.
Attached Files
Old 02-06-24, 09:34 AM
mcgene
Pit Crew

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

My Pioneer radio is an aftermarket unit. It was installed by the previous owner. The ML system stills sounds marvelous!
I have not tried the suction cup on the NAV door. The arm the cup is on is designed for window mount and seems too big for a flush NAV door mount.
The little box next to the CarPlay display is my TPMS. Some of you may recall, I removed the TPMS sensors from my tires when I bought the new wheels. One of the sensors was bad, so the shop that mounted my tires and wheels just took them all out. So, I looked into an aftermarket approach -- and this little unit looked promising. It has a solar charger built in so I don't need a wire for power. So far it seems to be working well enough. I don't need to know the EXACT tire pressure. I just want to be sure I monitor any significantly changes.
Old 02-06-24, 09:41 AM
mcgene
Pit Crew

Thought I would share the link to the unit I purchased. As you'll notice, it's much less expensive than many -- but gets excellent reviews. And, again, the return policy at Wal-Mart is exceptional -- so, I figured I wasn't risking much -- if anything at all.
TOGUARD Wireless Car Stereo Apple Carplay with 1080P Rear Camera,9.26" Portable Touchscreen Car Play Screen for Car, Car Radio Receiver with Android Auto,GPS Navigation,Bluetooth,AirPlay, FM,Si - Walmart.com
Old 02-06-24, 12:20 PM
nigel821
Racer

Received 778 Likes on 482 Posts

These work really well. I have I think 12 of them so far from being a Vine reviewer on Amazon. Some are really awesome, while some are annoying and I don't care much for... They can range all in price from $75 up to a few hundred. Thus far the ones I like the best have been right at around $150. The super expensive one I have you can't turn off an annoying menu beep. So ANY time anything is adjusted you constantly hear a "beep" confirmation. The little one that I have that was around $90 is a workhorse.

The one you posted I have a few of them. All slightly different but the wide screen makes the ACP and AA super easy to use. I much prefer the units that I can hook up via Bluetooth for music so all the sound both maps/music.etc. All come out of the car speakers rather than being transmitted via built in FM0-transmitter.

Plus, since they are portable you can take them in and out of each car. I bought a grom type of unit for my CT200h since it integrates everything. However, for our Mercedes it's not worth it at all to try and replace the Comand headunit and fiberoptic lines in the car... so I use one very similar posted by Gene and it works wonderfully.

I'm all for integration with as much as possible to give a clean install/look/interface but with how stuff is anymore it's way easier to go this route depending on the make/model of the car. I'm actually really surprised that Pioneer/Sony/JVC or any big-name brand doesn't actually try and capitalize on this market. I'd much prefer a Pioneer unit if they made something portable like this. It would more than likely be awesome quality, decent interface and be trusted in the field.. Most of these Chinese units all have a slightly different rom/interface and or things that you'd like to change you can't, while silly options that you'd not want to change you can easily do so...

-Nigel
Old 02-06-24, 01:22 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

My Pioneer radio is an aftermarket unit. It was installed by the previous owner. The ML system stills sounds marvelous!
I have not tried the suction cup on the NAV door. The arm the cup is on is designed for window mount and seems too big for a flush NAV door mount.
The little box next to the CarPlay display is my TPMS. Some of you may recall, I removed the TPMS sensors from my tires when I bought the new wheels. One of the sensors was bad, so the shop that mounted my tires and wheels just took them all out. So, I looked into an aftermarket approach -- and this little unit looked promising. It has a solar charger built in so I don't need a wire for power. So far it seems to be working well enough. I don't need to know the EXACT tire pressure. I just want to be sure I monitor any significantly changes.
Gene, i just noticed the device you purchased has an AUX Audio Output,
  • AUX output means the car radio AUX input can output product sound to your original car radio
which means you can use RCA jacks to connect the new device to your aux in on the pioneer head unit in your car.
the sound should be soooo much better than using the FM transmitter.
The following users liked this post:
nigel821 (02-07-24)
Old 02-06-24, 02:05 PM
mcgene
Pit Crew

Hey Nigel!
That was an awesome post. My daughter is also a Vine reviewer -- too bad I didn't ask her if she could get me one to test.
I did a lot of research before trying this one.
As noted, installation of the main unit is a breeze -- I think adding the backup camera may be a different story.
Anyway, thanks for sharing.
Old 02-06-24, 02:11 PM
mcgene
Pit Crew

Bgw70 is correct that the main unit has an AUX port.
My problem is finding the same port on my Pioneer. It's probably in the back which means I would have to take the unit out. Nah, not for me.
I think I can still use my ML system as is and not use this unit for music.
I need to take a ride soon and try out the Maps (which comes from my iPhone) and see how that functions.
BTW, Apple Maps is much better than Google Maps, (IMHO). Apple Maps talks to you turn by turn -- not sure Google does that. Anyone know if Waze gives audible directions?
Man, I love this forum -- all you guys have been so helpful.
-gene
Old 02-06-24, 02:21 PM
SGB4570
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bgw70
as far as i know, they were all Pioneer head units.
ML is a system name and it includes the head unit, amp and speakers.

attached is the pioneer manual.
Ok, did not know this.
Old 02-07-24, 08:38 AM
nigel821
Racer

Received 778 Likes on 482 Posts
Arrow

Hey Nigel!
That was an awesome post. My daughter is also a Vine reviewer -- too bad I didn't ask her if she could get me one to test.
I did a lot of research before trying this one.
As noted, installation of the main unit is a breeze -- I think adding the backup camera may be a different story.
Anyway, thanks for sharing.

Yep, definitely have her get a couple for you to try out and play around with. I'm looking now and there are at least 3 or so on there via the Vine program..
Yep install is super easy with these it makes it great to be able to move them in and out of different vehicles! Back up camera isn't too bad honestly. Considering the SC is a smaller car it shouldn't be a bad install at all running the wires. You cna do the camera a couple different ways. Tap the reverse power line for the camera's power and then when you put it in reverse the camera gets power. Run the remaining wie through the cabin normally by the side sill and up into the middle console area or up to the A-pillar (again this all depends on where one wants to keep the ACP/AA device), then there is normally a mini rca jack input for camera on the unit. As soon as you put it in reverse the display changes to the back up camera, when power is off from the camera the display goes back to what it was showing. Hardest part of the whole thing is probably routing the camera wiring from the trunk lid. The rest isn't bad.

I've installed camera now on every car we've had that didn't come with one from the factory and by far all the convertibles that we've had have been the easiest because you have room to move around the car. Definitely not needed but once you have it makes you wonder why ya didn't do it sooner.

Looks good though! Glad you are enjoying it. As noted above use the Aux port for the audio out and you'll have a much better sound quality experience.

-Nigel
Old 02-07-24, 09:42 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 500 Likes on 418 Posts

If we get a 7 inch version, think it will fit behind the nav door?
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Portable-...e&athbdg=L1600
Old 02-07-24, 10:55 AM
mcgene
Pit Crew

Hey Darly!
Good question regarding the NAV placement. I'm thinking of not using any of the provided mounts (dashboard or windshield) and trying a bit of Velcro on the NAV door (closed, of course). My NAV no longer works so I have no need to open the door.
I need to take some measurements to ensure that it doesn't obstruct any AC vents, etc. If it works out, I'll post some pics.
Old 02-07-24, 10:58 AM
mcgene
Pit Crew

Nigel, my man!
As always, great post with excellent suggestions/recommendations. Too bad you're not a tad closer to help me with the backup camera installation.
In the above post, I mentioned my interest in using Velcro to mount the unit on my NAV door. I'll let you know if that works.
I've ordered an AUX to USB adapter to make the connection you guys have recommended. Should be here in a day or two.
Checking with my daughter on what's available via Vine.
Keep the lights on!

Quick Reply: Stand alone CarPlay Unit