SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Stand alone CarPlay Unit

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-24, 09:38 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 904 Likes on 725 Posts

Originally Posted by mcgene
Thank you, SGB4570! I appreciate your clarification on the name game as well as your help with the backup camera. I'm such a visual learner that a video would be most helpful.

Below are the pics of the Velcro placement of the CarPlay unit. Again, please remember...my NAV door does not open. I used 4 small, thin strips so I would not block the two speakers on the back of the unit. In fact, I had to turn down the volume since the speakers are so close to the NAV door as compared to the windshield mount.

I ensured that the vents are still easily accessible and are not obstructed in any way. It's also, very stable and at a better sight level than on the dashboard.
So far, I'm very pleased.
I got the “you can call me (ray, jay but you doesn’t have to call me Johnson)” reference from the old Miller Lite commercials…i was a kid, 1970s.

you can power the camera using the backup light circuit without splicing/cutting any wires. See this thread when i ran the power and video cables for the backup camera.
Let me know if you have any questions…it was easy to do.
BTW, i really like the placement of the new screen using the inop nav door. Well Done sir.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...ml#post9074215

Old 02-10-24, 12:37 PM
SGB4570
Advanced

Received 74 Likes on 62 Posts

I just need to figure out how to get my nav door working again!!
Old 02-10-24, 12:47 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 904 Likes on 725 Posts

Originally Posted by SGB4570
I just need to figure out how to get my nav door working again!!
wish you were closer, we would have it figured out by now
Old 02-10-24, 02:04 PM
SGB4570
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bgw70
wish you were closer, we would have it figured out by now
Yeah, me too. The whole radio installation done before I got the car scares me, everything works and I don't want to screw it up!
Here's a couple pics of all the stuff and connections under the console/radio.. not even sure what I'm looking for.

Attached Thumbnails Stand alone CarPlay Unit-img_0823.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_0824.MOV (14.77 MB, 9 views)
Old 02-11-24, 08:01 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 500 Likes on 418 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Wilson2000
You can call him Dashing, you can call him Daryl, you can call him DeeDee, or, you can call him Double-D, but you doesn't have to call him Darly! (You might have to be 60 or older to get this reference)

That's Hilarious!
Old 02-20-24, 10:12 AM
mcgene
Pit Crew

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Just a quick update on my Apple CarPlay unit.
As I get more experience, I find it a very welcome addition.
  • I use Waze maps (even when I don't need it) and it alerts me to any stalled vehicles or even potholes. It also responds to voice commands using Siri for locations. Asked it to take me to the nearest Taco Bell -- love the hands-free interface.
  • Also, decided to try a voice command phone call. Again, just ask Siri to place the call -- worked well with plenty of volume (which can be easily adjusted).
  • Added the backup camera (not tied to my reverse gear -- I activate it manually).
All in all, a really nice and useful upgrade to the old NAV system.
Old 02-20-24, 10:41 AM
SGB4570
Advanced

[QUOTE=mcgene;11672357]Just a quick update on my Apple CarPlay unit.
As I get more experience, I find it a very welcome addition.
  • I use Waze maps (even when I don't need it) and it alerts me to any stalled vehicles or even potholes. It also responds to voice commands using Siri for locations. Asked it to take me to the nearest Taco Bell -- love the hands-free interface.
  • Also, decided to try a voice command phone call. Again, just ask Siri to place the call -- worked well with plenty of volume (which can be easily adjusted).
  • Added the backup camera (not tied to my reverse gear -- I activate it manually).
All in all, a really nice and useful upgrade to the old NAV system.[/QUOTE
Nice!! Well other than the Taco Bell thing!
Old 02-20-24, 10:59 AM
mcgene
Pit Crew

Thanks, SGB4570!
Hey, around here ya gotta go with the flow -- however, things are beginning to look up for food selections....sooooo much construction going on
Old 03-31-24, 06:57 PM
gleeson
Pit Crew

Received 54 Likes on 30 Posts

gene, any update? are you still enjoying your carplay unit? did you ever hook up the backup camera?

you inspired me to buy one of these for my 2002, though mine is smaller, about the same size as stock nav screen.

yesterday, i got a chance to test-drive my unit as i was invited to a pre-easter brunch in petaluma, about an hour north of SF. here it is in action going to brunch…

the unit and my mount worked well with no problems. not wanting to put adhesive/velcro on my dash or wood, instead i fashioned a box from cardboard. i covered the top and sides of the box with black leather from the fabric store to match my dash. the box fits snugly in the opening of the nav unit. i put the velcro strips on the box and the carplay unit. it proved quite stable and sturdy during my test drive.

still working well on the way home….

my only regret so far is that i did not get one with a backup camera but i guess i can always get one later.

i routed the 12v power plug to the accessory jack in the armrest instead of to the cigarette lighter which i like better closed. my plug came with plenty of wire, so much in fact that the excess is coiled and strapped hidden behind the carplay unit and in front of the old nav unit. it was easy to route and hide the wire leading to the center console.

my car already had a pioneer receiver and beatsonic adapter installed by the previous owner. it was one of the reasons i bought this particular car. easy connectivity to phone via BT or aux jack, no fm-transmitter required. i’ve also disconnected my antenna motor because i didn’t need it and it was always going up every time i turned the key on.

Last edited by gleeson; 03-31-24 at 10:05 PM.
Old 04-01-24, 07:33 AM
mcgene
Pit Crew

Hey Gleeson!

Thanks for checking in and sharing. First, your setup looks so much better than mine. I think going with a slightly smaller unit looks much better and original. I also like your idea of routing the 12V into the arm rest, which I think I'll try as well. Oh, BTW, I like your choice in music!!!!

I can't claim any sexy wiring on my backup camera. It is tucked away nicely --- but, I did not connect it to the gear shift, i.e. it does not activate when I put the car in reverse. I do it manually and frankly, I like having the control myself -- which means I can engage the rear camera while driving or at any time I choose. Frankly, I seldom do
Old 04-01-24, 10:02 AM
gleeson
Pit Crew

Received 54 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by mcgene
Hey Gleeson!

I like your choice in music!!!!

I can engage the rear camera while driving or at any time I choose. Frankly, I seldom do
gene, i’m glad you like the music.
i listen to a lot of different
music and these came up after i shuffled the playlist.

interesting perspective on the backup cam and i would probably be like you and not use it much.

thanks for the update!