Washer Fluid Issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-24, 05:15 AM
FatBuoy
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Washer Fluid Issues

Hi all-

My windshield washer fluid has not worked since I bought my car. The headlight washers did, however.

I just sold the car, and promised to have it fixed as part of the deal. (Yes, bummed about selling, but thinning the herd) He's already taken it home, but I'm going to go over there this weekend to try to fix it. I DO NOT want to take it to the dealer and pay them to fix it, but will as a last resort. We agreed to hold back $1,000 of the payment until I fix it. (My suggestion to make him feel comfortable)

Yesterday, right when he was picking it up, the headlight washers stopped working as well. The pump is still working, but now the fluid is coming out from under the car.

Where would you guys start? Sounds like multiple issues maybe?

Here's what I'm thinking, but please let me know if you agree. The washer nozzles, or tubing, for the windshield is clogged, and now something popped off for the headlight washers?

Is the tubing hard to get to to inspect?

Just preparing myself, and formulating a plan, before heading over there.

Thanks!
Old 02-23-24, 05:34 AM
FlopTop04
Advanced

Received 213 Likes on 104 Posts

I have heard of some brands of WW fluids that can clog the nozzle's, so you are probably correct on the windshield. If you hear the pump motor and nothing comes out or leaks under the car, the nozzles are you first option.

If you see it leaking under the car with the headlights, a hose is probably the issue. You might have to pull the front bumper cover to see and repair the leak.

When I bought my SC the actual WW fluid reservoir was cracked and would leak if filled more than half way. The dealer had to remove the front bumper cover to replace it.
Old 02-24-24, 05:36 AM
SGB4570
Advanced

Received 74 Likes on 62 Posts

I had the same type of thing happen on my dodge truck, pump running but no fluid getting to the windshield. one of my nozzles was clogged and split the tubing. Try raising the hood , unplugging the nozzle from the tubing , and see if you get fluid out of the tubing. I ended up using some compressed air to blow the lines out but had to replace the nozzles as well. I know its not an SC but the system works the same.
Old 02-24-24, 05:37 AM
SGB4570
Advanced

Received 74 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by FlopTop04
I have heard of some brands of WW fluids that can clog the nozzle's, so you are probably correct on the windshield. If you hear the pump motor and nothing comes out or leaks under the car, the nozzles are you first option.

If you see it leaking under the car with the headlights, a hose is probably the issue. You might have to pull the front bumper cover to see and repair the leak.

When I bought my SC the actual WW fluid reservoir was cracked and would leak if filled more than half way. The dealer had to remove the front bumper cover to replace it.
Hey Floptop, I see you have the remote start and the top control, how do you like it.. any problems with it?
Old 02-26-24, 01:05 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 489 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by FatBuoy
Hi all-

My windshield washer fluid has not worked since I bought my car. The headlight washers did, however.

I just sold the car, and promised to have it fixed as part of the deal. (Yes, bummed about selling, but thinning the herd) He's already taken it home, but I'm going to go over there this weekend to try to fix it. I DO NOT want to take it to the dealer and pay them to fix it, but will as a last resort. We agreed to hold back $1,000 of the payment until I fix it. (My suggestion to make him feel comfortable)

Yesterday, right when he was picking it up, the headlight washers stopped working as well. The pump is still working, but now the fluid is coming out from under the car.

Where would you guys start? Sounds like multiple issues maybe?

Here's what I'm thinking, but please let me know if you agree. The washer nozzles, or tubing, for the windshield is clogged, and now something popped off for the headlight washers?

Is the tubing hard to get to to inspect?

Just preparing myself, and formulating a plan, before heading over there.

Thanks!
my guess is it is the tubing. First there was a break between the windshield and the pump, and now their is a break between the pump and the headlight wipers. It seems like an inexpensive, but annoying problem to fix because of the length of the run.

Unfortunately the parts diagrams show the parts but not the tubing run. Based on the parts list, my guess is you have 2 bad elbows somewhere. The tube doesn't usually break unless a rodent chews through it.