SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

How do you install a new radio using the OEM radio's circuit board so Sat Nav works ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-24, 09:05 AM
GregMN
Pit Crew

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

This is the circuit board with the sockets installed in it's original position.

This is with the back cover installed and the cable with the 4 plugs with the cable holder and cover. To do this, the other end of the cable was unmounted so it was free to be moved so the plugs could be installed. After you have the cage rotated back into place, the cable end can be mounted to the chassis again.

There are still issues with my install. I can have the GPS door work or I can have steering wheel controls for the radio work. But not both. I will investigate and report back.

So, don't try this at home... yet.

Last edited by GregMN; 03-31-24 at 03:07 PM.
The following users liked this post:
SGB4570 (03-30-24)
Old 03-30-24, 10:51 AM
GregMN
Pit Crew

In the photo below, in the lower right, there are 2 sockets that each have a pink and blue wire and the wires are joined together before they go to the axxess SWC (Steering Wheel Controls) box. It came that way from axxess. The instructions from axxess for an SC430 2001-2005, are to only use the smaller socket and leave the larger one unplugged.

The other socket and plug: white socket, upper left gets the chassis plug that goes to the OEM radio. The black plug, middle left, goes to the new radio.

That doesn't sound as clear as it could be:
There are 3 plugs in the back of the OEM radio. Those 3 plugs plug into the 3 white sockets in the axxess wiring harness.
Plug #1 is the one upper left with many wires for the audio.
Plug #2 is the smaller of the 2 lower right with pink and blue wires
Plug #3 is the larger of the 2 lower right with pink and blue wires

After I installed the OEM sat nav circuit board

If I follow the axxess instructions, plug in socekt #2 and leave socket #3 unplugged, the steering wheel controls work. The GPS door does not.
If I plug in socket #3, the steering wheel controls do not work. The GPS door works.
If I plug in socket #3 and unplug socket #2, neither the SWC or the GPS door work.

The tilts does not work with the button no matter what. I think that issue is peculiar to my car. The tilt works both ways if I hot wire it.

I do not know if my issues are related to:
my car
all early SC430's
the Axxess adapters for either or both the SWC and audio
or the quality, or lack there of, of the installation of any or all of it

Old 03-30-24, 05:01 PM
SGB4570
Advanced

Received 74 Likes on 62 Posts

So the picture above with the circuit board attached... it that the original radio? I too have that Axxess adapter in my car (2004, installed before I bought it) you can see in my pic. I have a pioneer head unit, with all the goodies, carplay, back up cam, etc, My steering controls do work, not as stock though I don't think. Up and down volume work, then the set button just seems to be a radio mute button. Mode will scroll through the different things on my head unit.. BT, Ipod, phone, whatever and the up down arrows on top will move it past a song on the playlist I'm listening to. Not real sure what they are intended to do. None of the buttons on the top of my climate control seem to do anything.. just dead.
I don't believe I have the skill set to do what you are doing, I've done a little of this kind of thing but it has been a while and I'm not sure I am comfortable doing it but I may, you never know. So I am intently watching what you are going through.
Seems my rats nest of wires back there may be worse than yours (you can kind of see in the picture, but I like the way toy cleaned yours up and might try the same.
Do you have the instructions that came with your access adapter, if so I'd love to have a copy.

Old 03-30-24, 05:20 PM
GregMN
Pit Crew

The axxess adapters came installed on the car when I got it.
Link for SWC installation manual
Another link for SWC installation manual

My steering wheel controls work the same as yours: Volume up, down, the Set is for mute. The Mode changes the source. Those up and down will switch between pre-set channels on a quick push, and seek the next channel it finds on a longer push (hold till beep).

Can you find the 2 white sockets that come out of the smaller adapter box for the SWC ? They will both be attached to the pink and blue wires coming out of the plug in that box.
Are they both plugged in ? or just the smaller one ?

Old 03-30-24, 05:51 PM
SGB4570
Advanced

Originally Posted by GregMN
The axxess adapters came installed on the car when I got it.
Link for SWC installation manual
Another link for SWC installation manual

My steering wheel controls work the same as yours: Volume up, down, the Set is for mute. The Mode changes the source. Those up and down will switch between pre-set channels on a quick push, and seek the next channel it finds on a longer push (hold till beep).

Can you find the 2 white sockets that come out of the smaller adapter box for the SWC ? They will both be attached to the pink and blue wires coming out of the plug in that box.
Are they both plugged in ? or just the smaller one ?
First off, thanks for the links! And the steering controls info. I never really use my radio as there are very channels around here I get, I'm going to check the presets movement as you describe. I've mostly been using Amazon music and they will just skip a song but I'm interested to play with the radio controls as well.
I do not know which is plugged in, I'll have to pull my console cover again to check, I'll try to get time this week to do that, and I'll let you know.
Oh, and thanks for the help, I'm a bit technically challenged!
Old 03-31-24, 03:19 PM
GregMN
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by SGB4570
I never really use my radio as there are very few channels around here I get,
I bet that the reason you do not get many channels is that the windshield antenna is not plugged in. There is no place for it to plug into the new pioneer head unit. You need to get a "Y" splitter and an adapter from normal size antenna plug to the smaller size that comes from the windshield antenna. Before I did that, I got about 6 stations on only my rear, stubby, antenna. After that, I can tune in about 20.
Antenna splitter Antenna splitter
Antenna adapter Antenna adapter
Old 03-31-24, 03:41 PM
SGB4570
Advanced

I bet that the reason you do not get many channels is that the windshield antenna is not plugged in. There is no place for it to plug into the new pioneer head unit. You need to get a "Y" splitter and an adapter from normal size antenna plug to the smaller size that comes from the windshield antenna. Before I did that, I got about 6 stations on only my rear, stubby, antenna. After that, I can tune in about 20.
Antenna splitter
Antenna adapter
I have a windshield antenna??
Old 03-31-24, 04:23 PM
GregMN
Pit Crew

I have a windshield antenna??
If you have an OEM windshield: Two wires about 1" apart running from the base of the windshield up to behind the rear view mirror.
Old 03-31-24, 04:35 PM
GregMN
Pit Crew

So the picture above with the circuit board attached... it that the original radio?
Not the radio. That is the sat nav circuit board attached to the back of the sat nav cage with the new Garmin mounted in front. See the last photo in post #12. That is all of the OEM sat nav circuit boards and screen removed from the mounting cage. You will see that circuit board, with the 4 sockets, there.
SGB4570 (03-31-24)
Old 03-31-24, 04:38 PM
SGB4570
Advanced

If you have an OEM windshield: Two wires about 1" apart running from the base of the windshield up to behind the rear view mirror.
Yes, I know what a windshield antenna is both my other vehicles have them but I don't remember seeing one on my SC, just ran out to the garage to check, and no, I do not have one on my SC.

yes, I know whar
Old 03-31-24, 04:43 PM
SGB4570
Advanced

Not the radio. That is the sat nav circuit board attached to the back of the sat nav cage with the new Garmin mounted in front. See the last photo in post #12. That is all of the OEM sat nav circuit boards and screen removed from the mounting cage. You will see that circuit board, with the 4 sockets, there.
Well as far as I know then it is all still in the car,,nav unit is still intact but will not open or anything else.
Old 03-31-24, 05:15 PM
GregMN
Pit Crew

Next time you have the windshield replaced, insist on an OEM Lexus part.
From what I could find, Lexus lists the same part number for 2002 - 2005. So, if both of my 2002's have an antenna, your's should too. I had one of my windshields replaced last fall. Insurance paid $1200 for the OEM glass.

Start tailgating gravel trucks....

Old 03-31-24, 05:17 PM
GregMN
Pit Crew

Well as far as I know then it is all still in the car,,nav unit is still intact but will not open or anything else.
We'll figure that out when we find out how many of the sockets from the axxess SWC adapter are plugged in.
SGB4570 (04-02-24)
Old 04-20-24, 01:58 PM
GregMN
Pit Crew

This project is on my winter car. It is going into storage until next fall. I will complete the project then.
I have the wiring and switches set up but not installed yet. The wiring consists of:
A DPDT momentary (on)-off-(on) switch set up to reverse polarity.
A micro switch that is triggered when the door is fully open.
A micro switch that is triggered when the screen tilt is fully retracted.

The micro switch for the tilt controls the circuit to the door motor. The door cannot move if the screen tilt is not retracted.
The micro switch for the door controls the circuit to the tilt motor. The tilt cannot move if the door is not fully open.

This set-up will not interface with, or depend on the status of, any other systems.
I will update when I have it installed.
The following 2 users liked this post by GregMN:
doobs (04-20-24), SGB4570 (04-20-24)