SRS Light Reset?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-24, 05:00 PM
Polarisman
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default SRS Light Reset?

Hello all,

I was being stupid the other day and powered the car up with the steering wheel air bag disconnected. Naturally, with everything in place the following day, the SRS light came on, and has yet to reset with multiple ignition events.

I've been told about a paperclip trick within which you jump a couple pins within the obd2 port or pins to ground with a specific timing and sequence and it'll reset the light. I've searched around a bit and haven't had any luck tracking it down.

Any suggestions or links would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 03-18-24, 11:30 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 489 Likes on 409 Posts

I have never heard of the SRS light being reset by a paperclip. I have heard of it being done on other models of Toyota.

In your case I think a battery disconnect will solve your issue. (or if you have access to Techstream, that will for sure solve your issue)

If you had an actual accident with an Airbag deployment, that is considered a "Hard Fault" which requires sending your module in for reset.

A disconnected airbag is USUALLY not considered a hard fault and should go away when you disconnect your battery for 10 minutes
Old 03-18-24, 11:51 AM
Polarisman
Pit Crew

Daryl,

In this instance, there was no accident. I removed the air bag and steering wheel to install paddle shifters, and turned the key on to test them out before reinstalling the airbag. The battery was originally disconnected before removing but I definitely created this issue. Pulling the battery afterward did not fix. I don't have access to tech stream, but I'll ask around. Just looking for a Toyota/Lexus obd2 friendly SRS clip trick and coming up pretty empty. I'll try the ones I found as they all involve the same pins, just different combinations of timing for grounding the wires.

Matt
Old 03-19-24, 07:57 AM
SGB4570
Advanced

Received 74 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by DshngDaryl
I have never heard of the SRS light being reset by a paperclip. I have heard of it being done on other models of Toyota.

In your case I think a battery disconnect will solve your issue. (or if you have access to Techstream, that will for sure solve your issue)

If you had an actual accident with an Airbag deployment, that is considered a "Hard Fault" which requires sending your module in for reset.

A disconnected airbag is USUALLY not considered a hard fault and should go away when you disconnect your battery for 10 minutes
So unrelated to the OP. I have my SRS light come on intermittently and I do have Techstream (although a little afraid to use it for fear of screwing something up worse) So what do I need to do to work on the SRS light with Techstream?
Old 03-19-24, 11:40 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SGB4570
So unrelated to the OP. I have my SRS light come on intermittently and I do have Techstream (although a little afraid to use it for fear of screwing something up worse) So what do I need to do to work on the SRS light with Techstream?
You have to scan the SRS system and look for a stored code.

Most likely in your case it is a bad clockspring.

if the scan doesn't show anything, then you probably want to start your own post so people will chime in and you will get a larger spectrum of viewpoints.
Old 03-19-24, 11:48 AM
SGB4570
Advanced

You have to scan the SRS system and look for a stored code.

Most likely in your case it is a bad clockspring.

if the scan doesn't show anything, then you probably want to start your own post so people will chime in and you will get a larger spectrum of viewpoints.
And why do you think the Clockspring? And is that hard to replace? ALL my steering wheel controls work. 2 lights on dash, SRS and self leveling lights, and both random, sometimes on, sometimes not.
Old 03-19-24, 11:51 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SGB4570
And why do you think the Clockspring? And is that hard to replace? ALL my steering wheel controls work. 2 lights on dash, SRS and self leveling lights, and both random, sometimes on, sometimes not.
Scan your car and give us the code
Old 03-19-24, 12:03 PM
SGB4570
Advanced

Scan your car and give us the code
I'll have a look when I get a chance.
Old 03-21-24, 06:32 PM
Polarisman
Pit Crew

Bad news all, I finally got the trick down and it gave me a code 51--but I noticed my steering wheel controls and horn didn't work (pretty sure the cruise controls weren't either, but I was parked when messing around with all of this). I got the horn to work on panic mode with the key fob, so I knew it wasn't the horn fuse. Clock spring. I took the assembly apart after only a couple of the wires had continuity, and the ribbon cables had so many broken fingers they practically fell out.

Oh well.
Old 03-22-24, 06:05 AM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 188 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by Polarisman
Bad news all, I finally got the trick down and it gave me a code 51--but I noticed my steering wheel controls and horn didn't work (pretty sure the cruise controls weren't either, but I was parked when messing around with all of this). I got the horn to work on panic mode with the key fob, so I knew it wasn't the horn fuse. Clock spring. I took the assembly apart after only a couple of the wires had continuity, and the ribbon cables had so many broken fingers they practically fell out.

Oh well.
So replace the clock spring. Easy fix.
Old 03-24-24, 09:17 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Polarisman

Oh well.
If you go with an aftermarket clockspring, they are pretty cheap, just make sure you get the right one for your year of car (later models have two stage airbags)

Of course, you are dealing with something that could save your life, so you may want to go OEM. My guess is though, a cheap working clockspring is better than a non functioning one with broken wires in it.
Old 03-24-24, 10:52 AM
Polarisman
Pit Crew

Yeah, normally I would do that but in this case I'll pass. I found OEM Toyota ones on eBay from the Middle East for ~$175 shipped. Half price or less than the US and my buddy that works at Toyota says they're legit... They have so much purchase power out there they just bypass Toyota and buy direct from the manufacturer, then function as a distributor on eBay and other auction sites.