SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

GROM Playing Issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-24, 08:13 PM
maczones
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default GROM Playing Issues

Just upgraded my 2005 SC430 with the GROM USB3 device. I elected to use USB 32gb flash drives to store my music catalog. The problem I have with the GROM is I cannot go back to the previous album played after the next album withing the same root directory is played. To clear this problem everytime, I have to select the next CD and then go back to the previous CD to play the previous album, which starts to play song selection 1. I also have a problem when the first song of a root directory folder is played, there is no sound until I select the next (second) track and then go back to the first track to hear the sound. I am currently working with GROM to try to fix these problems. Was told since the car is considered legacy, technology for this car was built on the GROM USB2 model and it appears issues have cropped up with the use of the GROM USB3 on the SC430. GROM has shown great interest to fix this issue, as they have not seen this particular ones crop up. They sent me a firmware upgrade but applying it did not resolve the issue as of yet. Wondering if anybody here has had issues like this, if so, can share any information and what GROM unit they have.
Old 05-14-24, 09:07 AM
gentouru
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default different issue for me now

I got it to work for 6 month using various USB sticks. I tried so many and a generic one worked and now it stopped working. Currently, my grom will only play first track of each album. After first track, all sorts of numbers start moving like it is seeking at rack and can't play it. Someone said that he is using SanDisk Cruzer Blade 8GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive- SDCZ50-008G-B35SanDisk Cruzer Blade and is working out great.
Old 05-14-24, 10:14 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 489 Likes on 409 Posts

I think I have a USB2. I am not sure, it has been a few years.

I had better luck with an older firmware and only using an 8 gb usb drive. Anything bigger and it doesn't work
Old 05-17-24, 12:03 PM
gentouru
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got mine to work finally! I bought my GROM early this year with the latest firmware.

My problems were:

1. When I switch to GROM it would say 'AUX'. instead of USB
2. Only first track would play and after that, random numbers start to show
3. Would not play anything

Solutions
1. Use this article:
https://gromaudio.com/installs/how-t...st-device.html
2. Make sure cd player is not set to seek or random
3. could be usb issue. I got old kingston datatravler USB 2.0 to work as well as USB 3.1 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RORBNSK?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1
Old 05-19-24, 11:32 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 489 Likes on 409 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by gentouru
I just got mine to work finally!
Congrats!
Old 06-01-24, 07:17 PM
maczones
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for some advice folks, but finally got this issue resolved after conferring with GROM and sending back my unit to them along with my music loaded jump drive to figure out what was happening. After GROM inspected the jump drive file structure they discovered the reasons why tracks acted like they did. Apparently when I loaded the music on the jump drive using my Apple Mac, it also loaded Mac specific hidden files that interferred with way the GROM reads the directory of files. After removing the hidden files, the GROM plays the files as designed. GROM thanked me in sending the jump drive even though they initially said they did not need it on the return but I insisted to return it with the GROM to have their team of technicians see exactly what I was experiencing. GROM mentioned they had never seen this issue before but I believe this is not the first time this has happened. I do know, if I load the music files from a Windows based PC, it also leaves behind hidden files but these files do not affect the GROM. Since the GROM is built to read a FAT-32 formated drive, I believe the GROM handles those hidden files differently which in turn does not affect the GROM. As for the Jump drive being specific, I thought the same and bought different drives too, to try to resolve this issue but finally found out it was not a jump drive specific issue but an issue with hidden files. Perhalps for the other folks too, it is the same root cause.

Last edited by maczones; 06-01-24 at 07:21 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by maczones:
DshngDaryl (06-02-24), gromaudio (06-05-24)