SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

2005 SC430, Intermittent no reverse or drive

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-24, 07:04 PM
Foxfire413
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts
Question 2005 SC430, Intermittent no reverse or drive

I have a 2005 SC430, on cold starts, the car does not shift into reverse, and takes a while to shift into drive.

When I put it in reverse on a cold start, I have to raise and hold the revs to about 4000 RPM in order to force a shift. I have had to do that a few times because I parked on an incline. Waiting for the car to reach normal operating temperature did not help, though it was a cold night so I suppose the transmission could have still been cold. After forcing the initial shift, the car shifts normally.
Going into drive from a cold start will sometimes engage on it's own, but most of the time I have to raise the revs to about 2-3K RPM.
I noticed that a very little amount of power makes it to the wheels when I'm raising the revs, not enough to back out of an incline, and that initial "clunk" into drive or reverse doesn't come until I raise the revs a bunch.

More and more, the reverse issue is occurring. I have made sure the transmission has plenty of fluid, and have tried putting Lucas transmission lube in (along with genuine Toyota fluid).
Does anyone have experience with this issue? Did you fix it? I am thinking of getting a used transmission, rather than trying to diagnose the valve body and whatnot.
I haven't seen any codes related to the transmission either, but my scan tool is not the greatest.

Any help is appreciated, thank you.
Old 04-01-24, 04:35 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 904 Likes on 725 Posts

Originally Posted by Foxfire413
I have a 2005 SC430, on cold starts, the car does not shift into reverse, and takes a while to shift into drive.

When I put it in reverse on a cold start, I have to raise and hold the revs to about 4000 RPM in order to force a shift. I have had to do that a few times because I parked on an incline. Waiting for the car to reach normal operating temperature did not help, though it was a cold night so I suppose the transmission could have still been cold. After forcing the initial shift, the car shifts normally.
Going into drive from a cold start will sometimes engage on it's own, but most of the time I have to raise the revs to about 2-3K RPM.
I noticed that a very little amount of power makes it to the wheels when I'm raising the revs, not enough to back out of an incline, and that initial "clunk" into drive or reverse doesn't come until I raise the revs a bunch.

More and more, the reverse issue is occurring. I have made sure the transmission has plenty of fluid, and have tried putting Lucas transmission lube in (along with genuine Toyota fluid).
Does anyone have experience with this issue? Did you fix it? I am thinking of getting a used transmission, rather than trying to diagnose the valve body and whatnot.
I haven't seen any codes related to the transmission either, but my scan tool is not the greatest.

Any help is appreciated, thank you.
have you done a drain and refill?
how do you check the transmission fluid level?
can you post a pic of the fluid?
any service history on drain and refills?
how many miles on the car?

if it were me, i would go to Walmart and pick up 2 or 3 gallons of Valvoline MaxLife ATF and do a drain/refill, then go drive it 10miles and repeat.
you never know, it might correct the issue. It could also be a solenoid or a pump but a transmission can be pretty expensive unless you do the work.

Last edited by Bgw70; 04-01-24 at 04:56 PM.