SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Suspension bushings?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-24, 06:14 AM
wengr
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension bushings?

Hello, my 2007 with 118k needs front suspension rebuild. What I hope to learn is which bushings can be renewed with a proper press, and are there any that are integral to the part and cannot be replaced? I am more inclined to invest in a press as opposed to replacing a lot of complete parts. Also, where can I obtain excellent quality rubber replacement bushings? Not interested in poly. Thanks.
Old 04-24-24, 11:03 AM
dan25man
Intermediate

Received 146 Likes on 102 Posts

GOOOD question. I am very interested to know as well. I assume you're talking about the lower rearward inboard bushing, then the lower front control arm inboard bushing as well?

My 2 lower, rearward control arms bushing were shot, got cheap replacements off of partsgeek.com, I think $60 per side. Steering is much better now.
The following users liked this post:
wengr (04-24-24)
Old 04-24-24, 11:29 AM
wengr
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dan25man
GOOOD question. I am very interested to know as well. I assume you're talking about the lower rearward inboard bushing, then the lower front control arm inboard bushing as well?

My 2 lower, rearward control arms bushing were shot, got cheap replacements off of partsgeek.com, I think $60 per side. Steering is much better now.
Thanks for the response. Yes I would like to do front lower leading and trailing, and also the upper control arm. My goal is to avoid the oem price, but not have to do it again anytime soon. I have bad inner edge tire wear and wandering steering. Did you have tire wear issues, and did you get an alignment after the work?
Old 04-24-24, 01:50 PM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 191 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by wengr
Thanks for the response. Yes I would like to do front lower leading and trailing, and also the upper control arm. My goal is to avoid the oem price, but not have to do it again anytime soon. I have bad inner edge tire wear and wandering steering. Did you have tire wear issues, and did you get an alignment after the work?
I am just about to replace the upper control arms on both sides of my 06. I bought Moog control arms at $100.00 each side from Amazon. I did have inner tire wear and I will definitely be getting an alignment after the replacement.
Old 04-25-24, 12:25 PM
OBP
Instructor

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

I replaced both sides LCA bushings recently. For OEM, you have to buy the arm and the bushing together as far as I can tell. I went with aftermarket bushings and retained the OEM LCA. They're polyurethane - Siberian Bushings was the company though I know you said you did not want polyurethane. I think I paid something like $45 - $50 a piece from Amazon. Fit is good but yes you definitely need a press.
Old 04-29-24, 05:03 AM
dan25man
Intermediate

Received 146 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by wengr
No, I didn't do an alignment. Just marked the previous location of the cam-bolt and put it back where it was before. I probably should of gotten an alignment, but waiting for the crappy set of tires the previous owner put on it to wear out before I do that. My car was totaled and had some suspension damages previously so probably not the best example of an SC430.

Just personally the upper control arms (A-arms) bushings swivel in their joints. So there's no preload in the upper control arm (at least with mine there wasn't) all I mean to say is those rubber bushing are probably OK. The lower forward, and lower, rearward arms are probably the only two rubber bushings that need to be replaced for wear/age.