SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Tail Light Warning Light on Dash

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-24, 07:15 PM
Cuul59
3rd Gear

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tail Light Warning Light on Dash

I just converted my tail lights to LED’s to improve the visibility and the safety of my two SC430’s. Of course the idiot light stays lit so I did what seems to be the easiest solution, blocking out the idiot light from behind the cluster background.
To accomplish this I removed the instrument cluster which is just two steps; First, pull off the gauge surround (it unsnaps with a few tugs) and you will need to unplug the trip meter connector. Second, remove the 4 screws that are clearly visible (careful not to drop them into the dash!). There is one centrally located plug which has a tab release and the voilla’…it’s free! Hint: before removing the cluster, take a picture of the lit idiot light so you know precisely where it is located (see below). Once you have it pulled the gauge cluster off simply remove the clear gauge cover (release the visible tabs) and you can now access the gauge background. Using a bright light along with the picture you took you can locate where the idiot light template is (just about the “F” on the fuel gauge. Next cut a small piece of thin card material (non transparent) about 0.5” wide by about 1.5” long. Slip this piece behind the backdrop allowing about a 0.25” sticking out above the backdrop. Fold this pice back and apply a small piece of tape securing it to the gauge cluster assembly to keep it in place and covering the idiot light lamination template. Hint: temporarily reconnect the harness connector and confirm that your blocked out just the tail light warning light.

The following users liked this post:
WIL44 (05-16-24)