SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

First road trip observations.

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-24, 12:51 PM
SGB4570
Advanced

Received 74 Likes on 62 Posts
Default First road trip observations.

So we bought our 2004 last September and finally took our first real road trip, South Carolina to Texas and back. Had to go visit my daughter and our first grandchild!!
We put on 2654 miles (started at 61,111), the car ran great the whole way no problems at all, I would guess half of that distance or so was top down and yes, I got a bit of a burn. BUT, the trip let me see what I think needs tending to on the car, and here is my list.
1) SRS light (Airbag light) still randomly on, more on than off these days but no rhyme or reason, at least to me, when its on or off, but one of the major things I want to look into.
2) The auto level headlight light is also randomly on/off, another thing I need to look into!
3) When I hit the keyfob to lock the car all I get is a little beep, I'd like for it to honk the horn, so I can hear when it locks.
4) Turn signal indicator is almost silent, would love to have it make mor noise so I can tell it's on.
So the above 4 things I'm thinking I can look into with my Techstream set up that IOL so graciously set me up with. My problem there is I'm not very "techie" and I'm afraid I'm going to screw something up! I also have a full set of shop manuals for this car so we will see what happens!
Ok, now some of the little stuff I need to tend to:
Right side air vent does not open all the way, I will remove it and have a look to see if something is in there blocking it.
Window seals are making some noise, I see no cuts or tears anywhere so I ordered some Honda Shin-Etsu grease which I understand is the best thing for these seals, I'll work on those and see how it does.
Speakers are raspy (blown) sounds like at times, not sure if I'll replace them or do the refoam thing... suggestions?
When it's very hot in the car, been sitting it 100 degrees temp and sun, when I get in and put the key in the ignition and the steering wheel starts to extend it makes an ugly squeal, I need to figure out how to lube it and with what.
And a while back probably doing something to the radio someone here asked me if the car had a windshield antenna and I said no, but indeed it does... don't know if it matters or if it's even used as it has the retracting one in back.
Last thing the air does not get real cold, not sure if that's due to the heat we were in or its low on freon, goes in for an oil change tomorrow and I'll have it checked then.

So there is my list of things, not too awful bad considering its a 20-year-old car. If you have thoughts or suggestions, I'd love to hear them!!

Old 05-31-24, 06:56 AM
Rayzerr
Driver

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

Congrats on the new grand baby. Best thing ever is a being a grandparent.
Is that an adult in back seat? Hopefully she wasn't back there too long.
I too have the occasional noise from the steering wheel extending, mines not a squeal though, but would love to learn if there is a way to lubricate.
The following users liked this post:
markfx (06-01-24)
Old 05-31-24, 07:05 AM
SGB4570
Advanced

Originally Posted by Rayzerr
Congrats on the new grand baby. Best thing ever is a being a grandparent.
Is that an adult in back seat? Hopefully she wasn't back there too long.
I too have the occasional noise from the steering wheel extending, mines not a squeal though, but would love to learn if there is a way to lubricate.
Thanks..
And yes, that is a full-sized adult in the back seat, it is my wife with my other daughter in the front! She has an even smaller car a BMW Z4, and technically I do have a back seat although we have never used it for anything alive before and thought this was the perfect chance to try it out. It did not work too bad, but I would not want to go any real distance that way, but it did work, and I even have proof!
And if I find out how to lube that steering column, I'll let you know.
Scott
Old 05-31-24, 10:33 AM
WIL44
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 47 Posts

I had the squeal when the column extended some years ago and found it was the flexible cowl on top off the column, I wiped it with a cloth with some WD40 on it and the noise went and never came back. This may not be your issue, but worth a try,
Cheers Steve
The following users liked this post:
SGB4570 (05-31-24)
Old 05-31-24, 02:06 PM
SGB4570
Advanced

Originally Posted by WIL44
I had the squeal when the column extended some years ago and found it was the flexible cowl on top off the column, I wiped it with a cloth with some WD40 on it and the noise went and never came back. This may not be your issue, but worth a try,
Cheers Steve
Thanks, I'll check it out.