SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

2002 SC430 won’t start

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-24, 08:19 AM
erosby
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Default 2002 SC430 won’t start

Security light blinking, insert key light goes out, turn key dash lights come on, turn key to start navigation system and radio goes out, headlights do not dim starter do not turn over yesterday after trying everything i could think of i left the key in the ignition for about 20 minutes car started up with no problem let run for a while turned car off and it went back to no start waited a little while car started up again this morning it’s back to no start I’m open to any and all suggestions HELP
update battery voltage is good
Old 06-26-24, 08:50 AM
dwoods801
Instructor

Received 247 Likes on 202 Posts

if you pop the hood and listen really carefully while someone else turns the key, can you here a distinct click when the key reaches the starting position? It's likely your starter is ready to replaced. Often they will give a couple difficult starts before dying completely. The starter in your car is mounted under the intake manifold, so they are difficult to replace, if you know where it's positioned you could try tapping it with some kind metal rod or something while someone else is turning the key and get it to fire up a few more times that way.
Old 06-26-24, 10:24 AM
erosby
Driver School Candidate

It would seem to me if the starter was bad the drain on the battery would cause the headlights to dim while attempting to engage the starter
Old 06-26-24, 10:33 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 489 Likes on 409 Posts

I would try just about everything else before going with the starter. In order to access it you need to take the engine manifold off. For this reason, Lexus made their starters very robust and people on this board have reported very few problems.

When you said you left the key in for 20 minutes, was that with the ignition on, or off? I wonder if you are losing fuel pressure in your system and by leaving the key in (and in the on position) you primed the fuel pump.

You could try turning your car over with starter fluid to see if it is the starter or the fuel system.
Old 06-26-24, 10:35 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Is your car stock? Did you put in an aftermarket stereo or alarm? Do you have any other problems?

It sounds like you think it may be a security system issue. Do you have another key you can try?
Old 06-26-24, 01:35 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 557 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by erosby
Security light blinking, insert key light goes out, turn key dash lights come on, turn key to start navigation system and radio goes out, headlights do not dim starter do not turn over yesterday after trying everything i could think of i left the key in the ignition for about 20 minutes car started up with no problem let run for a while turned car off and it went back to no start waited a little while car started up again this morning it’s back to no start I’m open to any and all suggestions HELP
The fact that the car started, I don't think it was your starter. Seem like It's related to your battery or alternator . Try to jumpstart with good battery.
Old 06-26-24, 01:55 PM
erosby
Driver School Candidate

Default SC 430 won’t start

The starter doesn’t turn over I tried to jump it off as one of the first things I did. Right now it’s 101 degrees outside I’m hunt down the spare key and clean the battery terminals later this evening will keep posted until fixed hopefully
Old 06-26-24, 03:30 PM
dwoods801
Instructor

Received 247 Likes on 202 Posts

The description I read said that the dash, navigation, headlights and everything all light up when the key is turned on, then when the key is turned to the start position everything briefly turns off like it’s supposed to starting the car. The starter is supposed to get all voltage when in use. The fact that the starter isn’t turning over eliminates anything to do with the fuel system or security system. So don’t use starter fluid, it’s not an alternator issue, it’s probably not a battery issue, if it was a dead battery then the and headlights wouldn’t come on, and it wouldn’t have started after 20 minutes. And yes they are pretty robust starters, but the still function with copper terminals and they wear out. Just like all starters, as the contacts wear out, they can behave strangely doing things like not responding and then 20 minutes later you’re able to start it up. This is also why hitting a dead starter will get it to work again.
I am not saying it’s certainly a bad starter and can’t be anything else, a good way to be certain would be to listen for a loud click from the starter while the key is being turned. That click would confirm it’s a bad starter, and that is by far the most likely culprit.
The following users liked this post:
Dean2 (06-27-24)
Old 06-26-24, 04:14 PM
erosby
Driver School Candidate

When the key is turned on to start All dash lights stay on except nav and radio even the headlights stay on no dimming I’m leaning towards bad starter relay or bad ignition switch tomorrow I’m swap out the starter relay and see what if anything happens will keep posted until resolved THANKS
Old 06-27-24, 08:12 AM
implantgs4
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm just guessing, but your starter may be going and need replacement. Some of your symptoms are exactly what happens when the starter is worn and has a "dead spot". It is usually intermittent/random at first and gets progressively worse with time.
Old 06-27-24, 08:39 AM
Dean2
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

Will be interested to hear what you find. I have doubts it is the relay, unless there is no click at all from the starter when the key is turned to start, and you haven't said whether there is or not. Relay's usually work or don't, rarely do they intermittently fail, but they are a bunch easier to replace than the starter. Same thought with respect to the ignition switch, except they will show intermittent issues sometimes. Again, whether there is a click at the starter or not, would tell you whether power was going to where it should or not when start position is engaged..

If there is not click at the starter, use a voltmeter to measure the voltage at the solenoid when the start position is engaged. As you can see from the picture of the starters location, it is not an easy spot to get to. I would be checking the power to the solenoid further up stream first.

Last edited by Dean2; 06-27-24 at 10:49 AM.
SGB4570 (06-28-24)
Old 06-27-24, 10:36 AM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 484 Likes on 385 Posts

First, any electrical motor can fail intermittently once the windings age. Second, starter solenoids (built into most modern starters) have windings that can degrade and cause intermittent problems. Third, the contacts inside the starter, which are closed by the solenoid can build up resistance over the years and cause intermittent failures.

The surprising thing is...starters don't fail more often! That said, don't jump to conclusions. As Double-D said, the Lexus starters on this engine are robust and don't often fail. How many miles on your 2002? Have you had any general wiring issues, i.e., cooked and brittle insulation, broken connectors, chewed-on wires?
Old 06-27-24, 02:01 PM
erosby
Driver School Candidate

Talked to Lexus dealer today was told “we don’t really repair cars more than 15 years old we can look at it and hope it something simple” what I need is a way to hot wire it bypassing the ignition switch and that will give me the information I need to know which way to proceed
Old 06-27-24, 02:18 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Talked to Lexus dealer today was told “we don’t really repair cars more than 15 years old we can look at it and hope it something simple” what I need is a way to hot wire it bypassing the ignition switch and that will give me the information I need to know which way to proceed
Have you read the codes? It might tell us what is happening.

Your car has the same engine as a GS430, a LS430, A toyota Tundra and a Sequoia. It is VERY probable that an independent Toyota Mechanic can fix it
Bgw70 (06-27-24)
Old 06-28-24, 06:07 AM
SGB4570
Advanced

Received 74 Likes on 62 Posts

Time to find a new dealer I'm thinking.
The following 2 users liked this post by SGB4570:
doobs (06-28-24), erosby (06-28-24)

Quick Reply: 2002 SC430 won’t start