SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Top not opening

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-24, 03:47 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 909 Likes on 729 Posts

Originally Posted by Eklectika
NO - I don't own a TechStream (afraid of downloading a virus - sellers of China unit on EBAY say to disengage firewall and antivirus in order to properly download TechStream software!)
you don’t need to disable your antivirus. If you want TechStream, purchase it and we can help you install it in a simple and safe virtual environment.

Last edited by Bgw70; 08-05-24 at 03:46 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Eklectika (08-05-24)
Old 08-05-24, 11:42 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 511 Likes on 427 Posts

HOPING . . . to tag along since this post is so similar. If you advise I should start a new thread - I will. Thanks!

MAIN ISSUE - CONVERTIBLE OPEN / CLOSE SWITCH - no lights, no sound, no movement, nothing . . . like it's a dead switch

LEXUS DEALER - said both RH roof lock switch assembly & the RH luggage lock actuator assembly need to be replaced - at a whopping $10K cost!!! This makes no sense to me how 2 assembly's could go bad at the same time. I do NOT have the codes (sorry). Car has 65K miles, 2004 and rarely have I driven it with the top down. Last time was probably a year ago and it worked perfectly.
I would start a new thread, since each roof issue is different.

The hinge assemblies have motors in them. The motors have to match in wear, so they turn at the same speed. This is why they are telling you that both sides need replacement.
Many Lexus dealers don't have techs that are familiar with SC roofs, so they either say they can't fix the roof or quote you such a high price you opt not to have it fixed. I assume in sunny Florida, there are lots of SC's. I could be wrong cause Jsade said he had a hard time finding one in Miami.

Did the roof work after the rat issue? As you know there is a switch in their that lets the roof open or locks it closed.

Do you have someone who is not the dealer that can work on your car?
The following users liked this post:
Eklectika (08-05-24)
Old 08-05-24, 12:14 PM
Eklectika
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bgw70
please share all of the codes, it provides all the symptoms which will allow us to provide a better solution.
Understood and thanks for the response. As recommended by another member . . . I will start a new thread. ~ Ann
Old 08-05-24, 12:27 PM
Eklectika
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Bgw70
you don’t need to disable your antivirus. If you want TechStream, purchase it and we can help you install it in a simple and safe virtual environment.
Well then - I will attempt to figure out which one to order as there are several with different #'s attached. Perhaps this one (link below)? Anyway, thank you for the response. As recommended by another member . . . I will start a new thread. ~ Ann

https://www.ebay.com/itm/18635689063...Bk9SR4Dv67-kZA

Old 08-05-24, 12:34 PM
Eklectika
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DshngDaryl
I would start a new thread, since each roof issue is different.

The hinge assemblies have motors in them. The motors have to match in wear, so they turn at the same speed. This is why they are telling you that both sides need replacement.
Many Lexus dealers don't have techs that are familiar with SC roofs, so they either say they can't fix the roof or quote you such a high price you opt not to have it fixed. I assume in sunny Florida, there are lots of SC's. I could be wrong cause Jsade said he had a hard time finding one in Miami.

Did the roof work after the rat issue? As you know there is a switch in their that lets the roof open or locks it closed.

Do you have someone who is not the dealer that can work on your car?
Thanks for the response. I will start a new thread.

Just to clarify . . . both sides were NOT recommended to change out assembly's . . . only on the RH side.

Yes, in sunny Florida . . . St. Johns . . . just South of Jax. Trying to locate another Lexus mechanic vendor.

Yes, the roof worked perfectly when I had the rat issue . . . about 7'ish years ago.

I'm an old fart and not as sharp as I used to be! I did NOT recall any switch in the glove box that would enable the roof opening/closing . . . but now that you mention it I do!!!
Old 08-05-24, 05:05 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 566 Likes on 432 Posts

Thanks for the response. I will start a new thread.

Just to clarify . . . both sides were NOT recommended to change out assembly's . . . only on the RH side.

Yes, in sunny Florida . . . St. Johns . . . just South of Jax. Trying to locate another Lexus mechanic vendor.

Yes, the roof worked perfectly when I had the rat issue . . . about 7'ish years ago.

I'm an old fart and not as sharp as I used to be! I did NOT recall any switch in the glove box that would enable the roof opening/closing . . . but now that you mention it I do!!!
Don't bother with the switch in the glove box since the Open/Close switch is dead. That means your roof system is malfunction. It could be very simple as just replacing the switch in the RH lift assembly, but it also could be complicated. Usually, just only one thing failed that caused the system halted. So the bottom line is you need the DTC codes to pin point the culprit. May be some members on this forum who lives near you and owns the TechSream can help. Can you ask your dealer for the code?