SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Help ! ! ! Top not opening

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-24 | 03:12 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Here is what i think is the rear switch, can’t see it but notice how the lock slides up and down.
Roof is locked in up position and the slider is in the down position

Old 08-06-24 | 03:13 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Roof is unlocked and half way open
Notice the slider is in the up position

Old 08-06-24 | 05:56 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

BGW and Elkleckita,

If the Red light is Solid, it means everything is OK, the roof will open or close until you hear a beep. If the Red light is blinking, it means either the valet switch is on or the tenau cover is off. If the Red light is off, it means the roof system is malfunctioning.
I'm very concern with the rats. They chew wires and cause many weird electrical problems.
The following users liked this post:
Eklectika (08-07-24)
Old 08-06-24 | 06:05 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Eklectika
Bgw70

THANKS . . . for the TechStream link . . . will get that one!

Top worked great AFTER they were in the cabin filter (momma rat birthed her baby's there! - ACK!) But it's been maybe 7 years more outside in the same area . . . so WHO KNOWS if the wires are chewed. Any easy eays to tell?
Can you raise and lower your windows, open the trunk with your key fob? Are all electrical functions functioning OK? Any weird electrical problem? Did you check all the fuses and relays?
Eklectika (08-07-24)
Old 08-07-24 | 10:20 AM
Eklectika
Driver School Candidate

Smile

Originally Posted by Bgw70
Seems like the biggest problem is why won’t the red light come on when you try to open or close the roof?
If power is okay, you should get a blinking red light when you try to open the roof, blinking red indicating a malfunction.
AFTER readying all posts (thank you again) I am thinking perhaps I should first focus on the easiest issue first - the ROOF OPEN/CLOSE BUTTON RED LIGHT NOT WORKING. I'm guessing (please add your thoughts if you have a differing opinion/experience) . . . that it's possibly something electrical , i.e.,
1) lack of power - maybe battery voltage not strong enough??? (I read this on another post)
2) no power to the open/close button - maybe chewed wire??? (no clue how to troubleshoot this!)
3) bad fuse - checked once but maybe need to double check???
4) check relays - (will watch HOW TO video)
5) ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS?

Wondering if I should start yet another NEW THREAD regarding the roof button issue only???
Old 08-07-24 | 10:54 AM
Eklectika
Driver School Candidate

Smile

Originally Posted by GmanSC
Can you raise and lower your windows, open the trunk with your key fob? Are all electrical functions functioning OK? Any weird electrical problem? Did you check all the fuses and relays?
HELLO . . . and thanks for your questions!

YES . . . can raise/lower windows
NO . . . replaced broken key with off brand and auto open door/trunk has never worked since - I open doors/trunk manually
? . . . . . not sure - I hear very strange electronic type noises coming from my dash when starting the car up. The GPS is totally blank - like no power is getting to it. I wasn't concerned since I use my phone for GPS.
NO . . . not yet. Car is at dealer and need to recheck fuses and have NOT yet checked any relays - unsure which ones to check and unsure how to check them.

Old 08-07-24 | 10:54 AM
maczones
Rookie

1) lack of power - maybe battery voltage not strong enough???
Don’t rely on the car battery to open the top, turn on your car to do this and see if the indicators come on or the roof opens.
The following 2 users liked this post by maczones:
Eklectika (08-07-24), SGB4570 (08-11-24)
Old 08-07-24 | 11:04 AM
Eklectika
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy

Originally Posted by GmanSC
BGW and Elkleckita,

If the Red light is Solid, it means everything is OK, the roof will open or close until you hear a beep. If the Red light is blinking, it means either the valet switch is on or the tenau cover is off. If the Red light is off, it means the roof system is malfunctioning.

I'm very concern with the rats. They chew wires and cause many weird electrical problems.
<sigh> . . . THANKS for this info. I'm feeling deflated. How does anyone check for chewed wires & how to fix? Should I just give up and take it to a mechanic that specializes in auto wiring issues (is there such?)???
Old 08-07-24 | 11:05 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

It is interesting you are having problems with your NAV and the roof locks. Both of those are controlled by the fuse box in the trunk. It would be the place I would start looking
Eklectika (08-07-24)
Old 08-07-24 | 11:08 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

<sigh> . . . THANKS for this info. I'm feeling deflated. How does anyone check for chewed wires & how to fix? Should I just give up and take it to a mechanic that specializes in auto wiring issues (is there such?)???
Yes, there are automotive electricians. You can google "Automotive electrician"

It is possible that a rat chewed the wires and they shorted, blowing the trunk fuses. But that wouldn't be my first guess. Usually you can tell a mouse/rat has been in your car by the smell of urine and little shreds of stuff they chewed up to make a nest.

See any of those signs?
Eklectika (08-07-24)
Old 08-07-24 | 11:14 AM
Eklectika
Driver School Candidate

Red face

Originally Posted by DshngDaryl
Yes, there are automotive electricians. You can google "Automotive electrician"

It is possible that a rat chewed the wires and they shorted, blowing the trunk fuses. But that wouldn't be my first guess. Usually you can tell a mouse/rat has been in your car by the smell of urine and little shreds of stuff they chewed up to make a nest.

See any of those signs?
No smell, no debris. It was 10 years ago I had the rat dying in my air vent system . . . left the CIRCULATE button on open and it had access to a nice, cozy prefab nest on top of my glovebox air filter. Nothing of rat notation since then but . . . of course they had full access to my engine all those years.
Old 08-07-24 | 11:15 AM
Eklectika
Driver School Candidate

Smile

Originally Posted by DshngDaryl
It is interesting you are having problems with your NAV and the roof locks. Both of those are controlled by the fuse box in the trunk. It would be the place I would start looking
Will have my son check again - thanks!
Old 08-07-24 | 02:29 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Will have my son check again - thanks!
look back at Daryl’s post #12. Start there and report back.
does your son have a multimeter to ohm out the fuses?
i know you can look at them but it is best to use a multimeter to either check for voltage on each side of the fuse when installed and key on or pull the fuse and check for continuity.

youtube should have plenty of “how to videos” on this subject.

start simple and move forward.

BTW, manually unlocking the roof is very simple and only requires no more than a quarter turn of the wrench.

Last edited by Bgw70; 08-07-24 at 03:24 PM.
Old 08-07-24 | 02:38 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

? . . . . . not sure - I hear very strange electronic type noises coming from my dash when starting the car up. The GPS is totally blank - like no power is getting to it. I wasn't concerned since I use my phone for GPS.
replaced broken key with off brand and auto open door/trunk has never worked since - I open doors/trunk manually
i am pretty sure they are the HVAC servos/actuators. There are four and they change the air flow from the vents to defrost, floor, recirculate and hot/cold.

you can only program up to four keys and the car came with four programmed devices(keys). The old keys must be deleted. The best way is to use TechStream…i am guessing you only have one key, if so, you are playing with fire and need a spare. We can work on that later.

Last edited by Bgw70; 08-07-24 at 02:41 PM.
SGB4570 (08-11-24)
Old 08-07-24 | 03:14 PM
Eklectika
Driver School Candidate

Default THANK YOU TO EVERYONE . . . I'm not giving up - yet!

Hello to everyone who has made suggestions and are being so very helpful to me - a novice! My son (who now owns the car) is a novice too - although he loves to tinker and learn new things . . . his time is limited, hence me attempting to do all this troubleshooting research.

I am doing my best to read and reread all that has been posted and make an organized "hit list" for my son to follow.

I'm also busy with life - so if you don't see me for a day or two . . . please know I will be back.

Again, much heartfelt appreciation to all.