SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

SC 430 regional pricing variation?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-03, 10:11 PM
jlinjpn
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SC 430 regional pricing variation?

After a week of researching the market and negotiating with dealers in Southern California, the best price I've been able to get for a new 2004 SC 430 is $59,000 plus tax, fees, and registration.

I'm curious to know how that compares to new-car prices for the SC 430 in other parts of the country....
Old 11-26-03, 08:49 AM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

That's exactly what I paid (no PDI, or anything else other than TTL plus $50 documentation fee), but had to go out of town 250 miles. My car had all factory options, plus wheel locks, cargo net and trunk mat, for a total MSRP of $64,234. Car has almost $8K profit built-in, excluding holdback, so there's room for more, if you can find a dealer desperate enough to get rid of one. Also depends if you're willing to buy a demo, and/or a color combo you don't like; my cars have to have ZERO miles fresh from the factory (no dealer swaps, so car hasn't been exosed to the elements) and the color I want, so that diminishes my chances to get the best deal around, but I'm always willing to pay for that privilege.

You can also get a slightly better deal ilf you finance (due to the extra profit), but according to Lexus statistics, most of us just don't finance our vehicles.

It boils down to supply and demand; your deal looks pretty good for CA. With the economy getting better, I'd jump on that one, especially if its the color you want and it's fresh from the factory.

Let us know. Happy Thanksgiving.

JC
Old 11-26-03, 11:34 AM
tfischer

Received 226 Likes on 166 Posts

I saw a list published in the WSJ a few weeks ago about the cars that move off the dealers' lots the fastest, and was surprised to see the SC430 in the middle of the top ten (at about 5 days). Although this is probably due to the low volume, it would indicate to me that the customer does not have as much leverage with the dealer regarding the price as he would with slower moving models.

I agree with the above note that the price seems pretty good under all the circumstances.

I bought mine in April of 2001, after being on a pre-production waiting list for over a year. I paid sticker, as did all of us early adapters, because there were over 100 on the list behind me. I think the price I paid back then, almost 3 years and five price increases ago, was about the same as you are being quoted now.
Old 11-26-03, 11:57 AM
Doc C
Lead Lap

jlinjpn,

This may not work for you and I'm not plugging for this dealership, but I was at Lexus of Colorado Springs and they had 6 or 7 SCs there. They said that they were getting more on next shipment. The salesman I talked to said that they don't have a great market for the SC there. They just haven't sold near as many SCs as the Denver dealerships have. My point is (like JC said) they may be willing to deal a little more to move those out. Maybe not. Might be worth a phone call though. Just my two cents.

Doc C
Old 11-27-03, 12:07 AM
jlinjpn
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the heads up on the potential deals to be had in Colorado. Regrettably, California laws pertaining to the importation of out-of-state cars have been written to prevent California residents from buying a car and importing it immediately.

For this car purchase, I used a powerful new (for me) tool to cut out the fat to create a lean deal for the dealer. This time, I purchased a $30 information package from a company called Fighting Chance, located in nearby Long Beach, California. When I called, the owner of the company acutally answered the phone himself, and generously gave me answers to my questions and advice even though I had not yet purchased his information kit. I am very satisfied with the quality of the product and service received; the $30 I spent netted me a savings of more than $1900 under what the majority of the dealers are willing to sell the SC 430 here in Southern California just now.

Check it out at: http://www.fightingchance.com/
Old 11-27-03, 12:40 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

The SC430 meets emissions requirements in all 50 states; isn't that the problem?
If not, that sounds unconstitutional to me, but what can you do. I bought mine from NM, and just paid the appropriate taxes in TX. Heck, I even avoided 'inventory tax' charged by dealers.

Good luck.
Old 11-30-03, 07:43 PM
Dozer42
Pole Position

Sorry kids, but that is complete and utter BS.

You can buy a SC430 from any state, have it dropshipped here, and registered in California right away.

The SC430 is 50-state emissions legal for every single vehicle.

I actually just did this about a year ago with a Corvette Z06, and will be doing it with a SC430 if I don't find the deal I want in California.

What you have to watch our for is: Vehicles that are only 49 state legal, easy to spot with a glance under the hood. The 50-state cars will specifically say 'Certified for California Emissions' (as all Corvettes do from 2001 and up, and I believe all SC430s do).

If it IS a 49-state vehicle, I think it has to have 7500 miles or so before bringing it in.
Old 11-30-03, 07:52 PM
albarch
Driver School Candidate

Got mine recently ay Lexus of Cerritos for below list. No haggling. email me and I'll give you the contact info for my salesperson.
alan@environarch.com