SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Radio cover

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-03, 11:15 AM
1ton
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio cover

Has anyone heard that when the top is down and you lock your car, the radio cover automatically goes down like the nav system??? For some reason I read that somewhere but mine does not do that.
Old 12-05-03, 07:52 PM
tfischer

Received 213 Likes on 159 Posts
Default Not Yet

I've driven mine for 3 summers now with the top down and the radio cover has not yet closed by itself like the NAV screen cover.

If it does, I'll post it here.

However, note that if you push the button and close the cover, which you can do even after you remove the key, it will not open again until you power up. When I park and leave the car with the top down, I find I do not always want to close the radio door, depending on the curcumstances. Remember that when you lock the car, no one can open the door, even by reaching in and doing a manual unlock, without setting off the alarm. This should keep most people out, especially if the car is parked at the curb.

I also think that the alarm goes off if someone tries to pull the exterior door handle 3 or more times while the car is locked, but I am not sure about that. I'll test that trick this weekend.

I don't think you will find the radio door setup to be a problem. I believe that the present system is the most convenient.
Old 12-06-03, 07:35 PM
dingo
Driver

while you're testing things with the top down: I've been wondering if its possible to push to trunk open button by leaning into the car and have it open?

d
Old 12-06-03, 09:51 PM
Doc C
Lead Lap

You know, those doors are really cool that cover the navigation and radio, but I've noticed one problem. I took my SC to a stereo shop to talk about getting Sirius installed. I thought I'd leave the navigation door closed so the guy wouldn't mess around with the screen or damage it. He goes to my car and we were talking about where to put Sirius controller. He goes, "How about in here?", and starts pushing on the NAV door to get it open. I about kicked his --s!!!!! He got it about half open before I grabbed his arm. Several people have done the same thing, not knowing there's a NAV system under there. So, I just let the door open now. People have really big cojones to do stuff like that with other people's property. Especially a nice stereo place that should know better!!!!!

Doc C
Old 12-07-03, 04:28 AM
FWCruiser
Driver School Candidate

Doc, I had the same thing happen to me. I was having Xpel applied (had about 40 miles on the car at the time) and left it with the guy. When I went back to pick the car up they let me drive it out of the garage. Got in the car and the nav cover was half way open. I got mad, the guy admitted he was just nosing around and wandered what was under the cover. I can understand maybe pushing on the cover to see what was under it like you do with some covers, but to pull it open is stupid. Anyway, I guess no damage was done.
David
Old 12-07-03, 02:10 PM
tfischer

I was wrong about the alarm going off if someone is just working the outside door handle while the car is locked.

However, I did learn that the trunk and gas tank buttons are dead when the car is locked. With the key out and the car unlocked, of course, they are still active.

I have not yet had anybody try brute force on the radio or NAV screen doors, but that would be very rude of them and would cause me great anguish.
Old 02-27-08, 12:45 PM
robsvdp
Pole Position

Default Can you leave the nav cover open when car is off?

Anyone know if there's a way to leave the nav cover open? I've also had issues with people trying to open it when the car is off, and I often wish I could just leave it open even when the car is off -- remove the mystery. Anyone?
Old 02-27-08, 03:48 PM
tfischer

If you have "people" trying to pry open the NAV screen door, you need to find some new people. How does this even happen? If you leave the car, even with the top down, locking the doors will keep civilized folks from entering the car, and if a passenger is doing this, then he is too dumb to figure out what the "open" button does and this should be his last ride.
I've had this car since the second week it went on sale, and in all that time, nothing like that has ever happened to me.
Old 02-27-08, 07:13 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts
Smile saw your mention of sirius

Best siriur unit to get is from vias [ Look on ebay search integration solutions
there unit is complete interface and harnes sirius tuner antenna . installs in console and works through your oem radio . steering wheels will control it just like it controls all your radio functions now. I installed entire unit in less then an hour

Buddy

Originally Posted by Doc C
You know, those doors are really cool that cover

the navigation and radio, but I've noticed one problem. I took my SC to a stereo shop to talk about getting Sirius installed. I thought I'd leave the navigation door closed so the guy wouldn't mess around with the screen or damage it. He goes to my car and we were talking about where to put Sirius controller. He goes, "How about in here?", and starts pushing on the NAV door to get it open. I about kicked his --s!!!!! He got it about half open before I grabbed his arm. Several people have done the same thing, not knowing there's a NAV system under there. So, I just let the door open now. People have really big cojones to do stuff like that with other people's property. Especially a nice stereo place that should know better!!!!!

Doc C
Old 02-28-08, 03:45 AM
Torched
Driver School Candidate

mrblister, was it had to get the dash apart, I did my gx that way with info from the forum, would like to do my sc too.
Old 02-28-08, 06:33 AM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd be a little leary about buying a VAIS unit off of eBay. I purchased one and it didn't work. Fortunately the shop where I was having the unit installed had a contact and was able to swap out the bad unit I bought off of eBay for a new unit which has worked flawlessly since installation. My only loss was a small UPS fee. You may see if CL still has a group buy for the VAIS units. May cost a little more, but the security of buying a legit product may be better than "unknown" you sometimes can get on eBay.
Old 02-28-08, 03:32 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Smile

Originally Posted by moose66
I'd be a little leary about buying a VAIS unit off of eBay. I purchased one and it didn't work. Fortunately the shop where I was having the unit installed had a contact and was able to swap out the bad unit I bought off of eBay for a new unit which has worked flawlessly since installation. My only loss was a small UPS fee. You may see if CL still has a group buy for the VAIS units. May cost a little more, but the security of buying a legit product may be better than "unknown" you sometimes can get on eBay.

The company on ebay that is selling the vias units with the sat tuner is integration solutions. I have bought two units from him and he is a real gentlemen to deal with. Great tech support if you need it and he gave me the direct toll free number to Vias for questions I had that he was not sure of.As far as I know I have only seen the units for the sc430 being offered from integration solutions. In fact he usually has 400 or more items for sale for a whole lot of other cars. His name is Brian and I highly recomend. Units are under a warranty .

Buddy
Old 02-28-08, 03:40 PM
norman52
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Why don't they work on the 2003?
I went to the VAIS website and they don't list anything for 2003's it just says "Special" i sent them an email but never heard anything back.
Old 02-28-08, 03:40 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Smile

Originally Posted by Torched
mrblister, was it had to get the dash apart, I did my gx that way with info from the forum, would like to do my sc too.
The sc 430 comes apart like a lego toy. Clips are easy to unsnap you just have to take your time . I was a bit apprehensive at first. After I took the climate control head out the rest was easy. Also got good advice from integration solutions, The company on ebay i dealt with and bought my vias unit and sirius tuner kit from $ 250.00complete with antenna and a buy it now

Buddy
Old 02-28-08, 03:43 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Smile

Originally Posted by norman52
Why don't they work on the 2003?
I went to the VAIS website and they don't list anything for 2003's it just says "Special" i sent them an email but never heard anything back.
Go on ebay site and search for member integration solutions. Email Brian your question and I am sure you will get an answer. Vias also has a toll free tech support number you could call. I found there on line qroup a great source of help

Buddy

Quick Reply: Radio cover