SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Nav System Hanging

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-03, 07:13 AM
golfkwesi
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nav System Hanging

I have an '02 SC430 with the recent DVD upgrade. On a few occasions the Nav system "crashes" which prevents me from being able to enter a new destination from the Address button.

It "rebooted" once the ignition was turned off then on. Has anyone else had this problem? Have you found a way to fix this without pulling over and restarting?

Happy Holidays!
Old 12-12-03, 09:36 AM
1ton
Driver

Where did you buy your updated DVD? And how much was it?
Old 12-16-03, 03:31 PM
Roofless
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hasn't happened to me.

1ton, Lexus dealers want $450-$495 for the upgrade. But Lexus-parts.com has it for $288. Someone in our forum has posted the procedure for installing it - apparently the included instructions are rather sparse.
http://www.lexus-parts.com/partdetai...bCategoryID=73
Old 12-16-03, 03:45 PM
golfkwesi
Driver

1ton: I negotiated with the dealer that sold me my '02 SC430. I haven't found my invoice but I think it was around $275.00.

PS: as to the install; the salesman & I just ejected the original DVD & inserted the upgrade. We then verified the upgrade version on the Nav. Then I punched in my location...that was it.
Old 12-16-03, 03:51 PM
1ton
Driver

I am in a relatively new area....is there a way that I can check if my address is in the new DVD yet? I dont want to buy if it is not.
Old 12-16-03, 04:18 PM
Roofless
Lead Lap

Nice negotiation, golfkwesi! I've talked to three SoCal dealers about this reminding them that when the SC430 was first sold they told us it included two free upgrades. They have played dumb and won't come down in price. I figured I'd wait til I really need it (I don't) and talk to the sales manager about their somewhat suspect sales practices and watch him/her play dumb.

PS: There is a certain procedure for installing the upgrade requiring the key to be in and at a certain position. The wait-time while it's loading is also crucial. One owner who installed his own and didn't wait out the loading rendered his system useless. Food for thought, golfkwesi, in tracking down your problem.
Old 12-16-03, 06:56 PM
golfkwesi
Driver

Thanks for the tip roofless! The sales manager obviously had no idea so we just inserted the new & everything worked. The hanging issue has occured 2 or 3 times..not a major problem. When I get to 10K service I'll ask about the procedure.

Hey 1ton: I'm in the Tampa Bay area & Tampa was listed as one of the cities updated on this upgrade. You might try calling the Lexus-parts folks. They used to list all the cities on the upgrade. I went there to check for you but didn't find it.
Old 12-16-03, 08:33 PM
dingo
Driver

Smile

1ton

call your dealer and have him put in your address on a new sc430 and see if its in there. He already has your address - better than posting it here or sending to a stalker on the board.
Old 12-17-03, 04:44 AM
1ton
Driver

Good idea. Thanks.
Old 12-17-03, 06:35 AM
kasendorf
Driver School Candidate

Upgraded my 02 SC430 to the latest software and don't see any appreciable difference. Actually, certain address are in the wrong locations, sometimes blocks away. Unless your address or area are not in the old software would recommend waiting to upgrade.
Old 12-18-03, 08:54 PM
Roofless
Lead Lap

Default golfkwesi - Instructions

Found the post. It was written by the most informative tfischer - Thanks TF!...

I've done that and here's how it works.

Turn the engine on and leave it running.

You have to access the DVD drive which is in the trunk, clearly marked, but it's under where the top goes, so the top has to be up.

Push the eject button, and the old DVD will slide out.

Insert the new one, and close the little door and put things back together in the trunk.

Leave the car running. The screen will say "Loading new" something or other and "Do Not Turn Off Power" (or words to that effect) for about 5 minutes or so. During this time, the DVD is loading a new operating system. The old DVD will no longer work in your car.

When the screen warning goes away, you are ready to go. All of your saved information is preserved except for the "Recent Destinations" list, which will be empty. (If these are important, register them as Marked Points and they will be saved.)

Other than putting in the new DVD and not turning off the power till things are done, it is a fully automatic operation requiring no user input of any kind.
Old 12-19-03, 06:00 AM
tfischer

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts
Default No Hangups

Thanks for the snaps. (or were those props?)

I have been using the NAV system for almost 3 years, using two different DVDs, and only once did the system hang up -- the screen just went into a kind of horizontal flame stitch pattern. I have no idea what caused it. I think I had to stop the car and turn off the engine to get the system back up again, but I'm not sure about that.

Considering that this is a pretty sophisticated computer system operating in a mobile environment subject to a wide range of temperatures and substantial impact forces, I am amazed that failures such as this are almost unheard of. My computer that sits on my desk screws up more than this.

It's hard to tell what new roads and addresses are added to the database, but you will notice that the highway and expressway markers are much easier to read, and some of the other indicators, such as parks, hospitals, universities, shopping malls, etc., are also more clearly marked with cute little logos.

I certainly would not upgrade every year, but getting an upgrade every 4 or 5 years would be a good idea.
Old 12-19-03, 07:34 AM
golfkwesi
Driver

TF: great point! When my system "hung" I lost the ability to enter a new destination. I'll just re-start the engine if it happens again.

The NAV system has been a great help to me!
Old 12-19-03, 08:22 AM
tfischer

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

I love the NAV system.

When I first got the car, I thought this would just be an expensive toy that Lexus is making me buy, but I would be lost without it.

So to speak.
Old 01-02-04, 04:40 PM
golfkwesi
Driver

TF: the NAV hung again last week ( I lost the ability to select the address ) so I pulled over and turned off the engine. After restarting the NAV was still hung?

I soon be ready for my 10K service so I'll take it up with the dealer.

Quick Reply: Nav System Hanging