Changing Interior Wood Color?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-03, 02:02 PM
Dozer42
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing Interior Wood Color?

Hi guys,

I was wondering if there was a relatively painless way (or any way at all!) to exchange the lighter wood of the Ecru interior with the darker wood from the Saddle or Black interiors.

I really love the light Ecru leather, but the wood just looks too yellow to my eye, and offers too much of a contrast with the dark black of the steering wheel and other interior cues.

Any easy way to do this? Anyone want to trade wood?
Old 12-15-03, 07:27 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

With the motorized doors, and delicate wood panels, I'd just give it a rest. And we haven't even mentioned the ridiculous expense. Initially I didn't like the wood either, and now it's the interior component I like the best. Very unique; nobody's going to mistaken it for the fake stuff.
At any rate, it's just one of probably many things you'd change in the car but can't (realistically, of course; with enough money, you can change anything), like the antenna, better rear seat, manu-matic control, etc. etc. Instead, think of what YOU LIKE about it, and love it for what it is (and it's 'faults'). Hey, it's the same principle we keep our wives for any length of time buddy <he he>.

Happy holidays.

JC
Old 12-15-03, 09:47 PM
Doc C
Lead Lap

I thought I saw a wood kit for sale for the SC 430 on ebay. Unfortunately, it was the ecru would kit that was for sale. I agree with JC, the ecru is very unique. I like mine fine, but I'm sure you can change it out. I like the gray colored birdseye maple in the LS430. That's beautiful!!!!

Doc C
Old 12-16-03, 05:57 AM
tfischer

Received 214 Likes on 160 Posts

I agree.

The cost would be extraordinary and the result would be marginal.

I have had a black/ecru since the car came out, and have had nothing but good reaction.

Every car on the road has dark wood --- I think the bold fashion statement is spectacular.

Finally, it's not very unique. It's unique. There is not such thing as very unique. If not unique, it might be very unusual.

That's why I like it.
Old 12-16-03, 09:35 AM
APLUS
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Exactly what would be expensive? The panels have to come off some sort of a way. In my GS they come off quite easily, and they sell the JDM black wood from Japan for $400.00. I can't see it costing that much, expecially if you find someone whould be willing to switch. Then your only talking labor if your not a do-it-yourselfer. I would ask BananaGS or some of the other gurus about removing the wood. They have helped me alot with most of my mods. Just food for thought.
Old 12-16-03, 10:02 AM
BloodDoc
Driver School Candidate

Just finalized purchase of 2003 Indigo/ecru this morning. Wanted to order new 2004 in August, but was blind-sided when indigo/black was cancelled. Just inquired at two lexus dealerships about a wood change, but the also said the cost would be prohibitive. Really appreciate this thread. If anyone comes up with a solution, let us know.

BloodDoc
Old 12-16-03, 10:35 AM
tfischer

Received 214 Likes on 160 Posts
Default Perfect

You will love the indigo/ecru.

That was my first choice, but back in April 2001 I was at the end of a two year stint on the waiting list, and was willing to take one in (almost) any of the dark colors.

I was selling my SC400, which was dark blue with a light beige interior (only a little darker than the "ecru") and had been very, very happy with that color combination for 10 years.

When the new SCs started to arrive, my dealer would call me so I could check out the colors and the color combinations (I was #12 on the waiting list of 150). I expected that I would have liked the black interior, since I had previously owned an Audi with black leather interior. The dealer called one day and said to come out right now because, for 3 hours, he would have a black/black and a black/ecru both on the lot awaiting pick up from the buyers. Much to my surprise, I found I much preferred the ecru. In five minutes the light wood was my favorite feature, and still is. The black/black was simply too black for my taste, and I 'm sure I would have the same reaction to any of the dark colors with the black interior (although I don't think I've seen any of the blue or green with black leather).

After that, I told him I would take any of the dark colors with the ecru interior. Although I would have also taken a blue or green, the next one in was black, and the weather was starting to get warm, so I took it.

I would rather have the blue, but the black is good for formal occasions.

I think the combination is spectacular. You will not keep a low profile in that car.

Have fun.
Old 12-16-03, 01:26 PM
Doc C
Lead Lap

BloodDoc,

You will not regret indigo/ecru. I have loved mine. I don't see many Indigos around. It could be puke color and you'd still like it when you drove it!!! I would have thought Absolutely Red would have been your color choice with the Blood Doc profession!!! You need to install a "plasma" screen TV in it!!! Okay, I'll quit circulating the blood puns!!!! Hope you enjoy your new SC!!!

Doc C
Old 12-16-03, 01:36 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 218 Likes on 146 Posts

I love the golden Maple with the ecru. Unique,modern & elegant, I won't exchange it for anything for this car.
Old 12-17-03, 04:47 AM
1ton
Driver

For those with the dark wood interior....have you noticed that the steering wheel wood is somewhat darker than the rest of the wood? Do you think it is from the oils from our hands? If the light shines on it right, you can see where it could be the exact same color but most of the time my steering wheel looks darker or different color.
Old 12-17-03, 01:34 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally posted by 1ton
For those with the dark wood interior....have you noticed that the steering wheel wood is somewhat darker than the rest of the wood? Do you think it is from the oils from our hands? If the light shines on it right, you can see where it could be the exact same color but most of the time my steering wheel looks darker or different color.
Yes, the wood on the steering wheel was noticeably darker in my SC430 and it is darker in my GS300SD as well. Here's the reason, taken from an earlier thread...

"I am in the furniture business and I deal with this kind of things a lot. The wheel and the **** are made of solid wood. The rest is veneer. Even though they use the exact same formula, you can not obtain the exact same color on solid and veneer.

Also you don't have all the wood trim on the same level and therefore the light has something to do with the way you see the shades of color.

I hope this helps."