SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Windshield replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-03, 11:56 PM
nbontis
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Windshield replacement

I was already to store my car for the winter ... I was barely a few minutes from my storage garage and then the unthinkable!

A bloody truck threw a stone and cracked my windshield about a third of the way across.

I am devastated.

My Lexus SC430 was brand new and now it has realized its first "ding".

I am asking for advice on windshield replacement.

Anybody know prices at Lexus dealers or other places, pro's and con's of going with a dealer. I live in the Hamilton, Ontario area so local info would be great.

Cheers, Nick
Old 12-17-03, 06:39 AM
iamcdn
Driver School Candidate

Nick,

Sorry to hear about your windshield. The same thing happened to me in October, when a stone bounced
down from an overpass on the Hwy. 401. I was concerned about the quality of replacement, having had a BMW done by a so-called reputable glass guy, which left the glue or caulking oozing inside the cabin.
So I asked my dealer (Heffner Lexus Kitchener) and they said they had done a couple SC's and the cost was not so bad. So heres your info: I looked up my invoice and I paid $467.33 (Cdn) plus tax, including all
labor and parts. Their list price shows $549.80 but I've been a long standing Lexus owner. So go with the Lexus replacement glass. With insurance companies being who they are these days, I didn't bother contacting them at this price level. Heffners have a guy who does amazing work and it looks as good as
the original factory instalation.
Take care,
Grant
Old 12-17-03, 06:50 AM
tfischer

Received 219 Likes on 163 Posts
Default Insurance

I don't know what the insurance deal is in Canada, but here in the US of A it is common for any damage to a windshield to be covered without the deductible. A small ding out of the direct view of the driver can sometimes be required to be "repaired" at least once to see if that works, but something as big as you describe is usually fully covered.

I had to replace the windshield on my SC400 years ago because of a stone ding right in the middle. The insurance paid for everything, and the glass company came to my house and did the replacement right in my driveway in about an hour or two.

The insurance people and the safety people want you to have a good windshield, and don't want the deductible to slow you down from getting it fixed.

The replacement windshielf looks and feels just like the original -- you will forget about it a week from now and never notice any difference.
Old 03-24-04, 09:48 PM
nbontis
Driver School Candidate

Default windshield

I ended up storing my car anyway for the winter after the stone chip cracked my windshield.

Given that I think (really, I PRAY) that we have seen the last of the snow for this winter for Southern Ontario, I intend on bringing her back out into the sunshine in the next couple of weeks.

Does anyone else have any pricing info for windshield replacement?

I would especially like to hear from my Ontario friends who either did at Lexus or elsewhere.

Thanks, Nick

P.S. My insurance does not cover it and my deductible is $1,000 anyway!
Old 03-25-04, 01:29 PM
iamcdn
Driver School Candidate

Check out my earlier reply in December.
Regards,
imcdn
Old 04-01-04, 09:05 AM
chicagoblknazn
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

try http://www.safelite.com