SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Paint Question - I'm thinking of "repairing" small nicks and chips on the hood

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-03 | 08:45 AM
Leslie Cra
Driver School Candidate

Question Paint Question - I'm thinking of "repairing" small nicks and chips on the hood

Does anyone have any experience with repainting or refinishing the hood on their SC430 to "clean up" the damage done to the paint by road debris?

I've saved up a few dollars and I'm thinking of using some of that $$ to repaint/refinish the hood. I'm interested in hearing if anyone has had experiences in this area and has any recommendation regarding how the work should be done and what kind of pricing to expect. Relevant thoughts in this regard also would be appreciated.

My SC430 is a 2002 Millenium Silver w/ecru leather.

Thank you!
Old 12-19-03 | 07:16 PM
dingo
Driver

I'm going to have the same thing done along with repairs below the rear bumper where my wifey hit a landscaping railroad tie and dented it around the left backup light.

I've been quoted $1k to fix that and repaint the hood. Then I'm going to have some Xpel or similar stuff put on. This car is a rock magnet.

I'd say it should cost around $500 to re-paint the hood. I'd also ask whoever does it to use the best clear coat that's available. I don't have a brand name right now.

HTH
Old 12-20-03 | 09:41 AM
Carpe Diem
Lead Lap

Leslie,

First have your car looked at by a pro detailer. It's possible that many of the problems you see may be "detailed out" and the others fixed with a little touchup paint. There are processes that make touchup blend and level nearly invisibly. Repainting,can have a seriously negative impact on the resale value of your car. If you're in suburban DC, PM me.

George

Last edited by Carpe Diem; 12-20-03 at 09:42 AM.
Old 12-20-03 | 12:30 PM
bengreen
Rookie

Default Paint nicks/chips

I had the same problem on my white 2002 SC430. Very small, but noticeable to me, nicks on front rounded part of hood....Lexus Touch-up paint does not match.. My Lexus Paint and Body Manager, who I have known for several years, tells me that Lexus makes these up in large batches. and sends it out in those little tubes to the dealer's parts shop...and if your car was produced a year or more from the date the batch was mixed, it will NEVER match...He make up a small 'fresh' batch for me....excellent match...also showed me the 'trick'....get a flat paper match stick, and with a razor blade, cut the safe end at an angle to make a point....then just 'touch' the end into the paint....and then onto the spot (having cleaned the spot first with a dab of paint thiner)....Damned if it didn't work. After I waxed it, I couldn't find the spot!!!!!.........I'm not normally a 'do it yourselfer'...but, I did it....and the car, after 30,000 miles, looks showroom new... Happy Holidays to all the members......Drive safe in 04!!! Ben
Old 12-21-03 | 11:36 AM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions. I think I'll start this process by consulting a professional detailer. I'll first check with my Lexus dealer to see if there is someone they prefer to use.