SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Question to all you dark color SC's: Regret the color?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-03, 06:52 PM
sc430blue
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've have used liquid glass on my cars since 1993. My 93 landcruiser has over 200k miles and is kept outside, the paint still looks great and still turns heads. I was planning on claying the car tomorrow and putting some 'glass' on it. It would be great if we could hear from someone who has used both the Liquid Glass and Zaino and have them give us their thoughts.
Old 12-26-03, 04:30 AM
1ton
Driver

Someone had mentioned using an electric leaf blower to dry their car so that it will not scratch. Doing this will cause water spots though so what is the point?
Old 12-26-03, 07:24 AM
tfischer

Received 213 Likes on 159 Posts
Default LG et al

I have used Zaino for about 3 years now on my SC430.

My research at autoipa and other detailing web pages disclosed that the professionals and the serious detailing buffs use either a high quality wax or Zaino. Liquid Glass is hardly ever mentioned, and does not seem to be used by those with a lot of experience in these matters. It does appear to be a polymer rather than a wax, but seems to be a lot less sophisticated "system" than the various Zaino products. (Zaino is not sold retail; it can only be purchased, for the most part, directly from the company.) I have not used it and have not read, in over three years of keeping up on this stuff, much about it.

To answer another question posted above, Zaino is not a "polisher." A polisher is a machine or a person that applys a polish. Some people presume that a polish includes cleaners or abrasives. I'm not sure; I can't remember the technical definition of a polish, but I do know that Zaino has no cleaners, solvents or abrasives of any kind. To apply a polymer finish such as Zaino, the paint first has to be free from waxes and dirt, and any scratches, swrils or other imperfections should be removed with whatever it takes. At that point, you apply the polymer finish. Most people have not heard of Zaino because it is not advertised, nor is it sold in retail stores. Because of its formulation and the unusual application requirements, it is not suitable for mass distribution. If you try to throw it on the car like some "quick wax" crap you get at an auto parts store, it will nto give a good result and the customer will be unhappy. When applied as directed, it gives a deep, clear (almost optically perfect) extremely high gloss finish that is astounding. The shine and the protection will last for up to six months or more, depending on environmental factors and whether the car is parked indoors or out. Full details are on the Zaino web pages.

Using an electric leaf blower is fairly common, especially on big cars such as those giant SUVs. The advantage is that it gets water out of the crevices. I find for the SC that just drying it off with a WWMF works fine and goes faster, and using the Calif Water Blade before drying off with the towel makes the job even faster and easier.

And when you use the Water Blade, you can still hear the radio.
Old 12-26-03, 07:50 AM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally posted by ELP_JC

4. Is Meguar's Gold a 'cleaner' wax? Bought one, but doesn't say. Used Zymol the first time I waxed my car. Was planning on using the Gold, if it has any 'cleaning' ability.
I don't believe there are any cleaning agents in Meguiar's Gold. However, if your finish is in good shape Meguiar's should be a great complement to Silver. I used it exclusively on my Silver SC430, and the finish reflected light beautifully. I never bothered with Zaino because I just didn't feel there would be as much of a payoff with a light-colored car. Now that I have Black, Zaino here I come!

Also, re: paint chips, the front of a Silver SC430 is a rock chip magnet. I only had my SC for a year and avoided following trucks like the plague, but I still had at least three chips on the front hood area. I ended up getting an X-Pel clear bra installed. I'm sure the chipping is partially due to the design of the car because I haven't had any problems with either of my GS3's. FYI, there are numerous posts on the SC430 forum re: this topic.
Old 12-26-03, 08:15 AM
tfischer

Default I agree

I drove my SC400 on many road trips and had almost no stone chips on the front of the car. (That long, sloped hood also keeps bugs from hitting the windshield.)

In year one with the 430, however, I had all kinds of stone chips. I spend a lot of time touching these up.

Now I have a removable bra that I use on road trips. Since both the bra and the car are black, it's not as ugly as some color combinations would be.

But to get back to the point, I also think the design of the front of the car has something to do with this.

And what's said above for stones goes double, at least, for big juicy bugs, which are also a problem if not quickly removed, as they are acid and that but sutff will eat through your finish and eventually etch into the paint. The front of an SC430, after a road trip in the south in the summer, is all bugs.
Old 12-26-03, 10:39 AM
1NICESC430
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

>The front of an SC430, after a road trip in the south in the summer, is all bugs.<
Attached Thumbnails Question to all you dark color SC's:  Regret the color?-bugsbunny3.gif  
Old 12-26-03, 02:16 PM
tfischer

Excellent, just excellent.

First class comedy.

I love it here.
Old 12-26-03, 07:36 PM
sc430blue
Lead Lap

I appreciate the response but that still doesnt give a direct comparison. Liquid Glass could only be purchased through the company in the 80's as well and was well regarded in the industry. I may not be up to date, but 13 years of using a product should account for having "some" experience. Zaino sounds like a great product and the comments in this forum attest to that fact, but I was just hoping that someone had tried both products and could give their opinion.

Last edited by sc430blue; 12-26-03 at 07:39 PM.
Old 12-26-03, 08:07 PM
sc430blue
Lead Lap

I have to admit, after doing some research online about Zaino, I am about to make my first purchase from them. Are there any suggestions or should I just buy the kit that they have offered?
Old 12-26-03, 08:27 PM
tfischer

Default Try Edmunds.com

A great place to learn about Zaino products and to get tips on application is at

www.edmunds.com Go to the Car Discussions section and find Zaino Car Polishes -- Your Experiences (Part 2).

Basically if you are starting, you will need some blue Dawn dishwashing liquid to wash off the wax, then you will need ZFX (to cure the coat instantly and permit up to 3 coats in rapid succession, rather than at 24 hour intervals), Z2, which is the polish itself, Z6, a gloss enhancer (also used between coats of Z2), and Z7 which is the car wash.

I don't know what's in the starter kit, but I would think that the above list would be the minimum.

You will need some white towels, 100% cotton, made in USA, or good MF towels, as discussed above. Cheap towels with stuff other than cotton will scratch the finish, and with such a highly reflective finish, this will be visible.

Don't forget to read all the application tips on the Zaino page.

You will love the product and you will love the result.
Old 12-27-03, 10:24 PM
sc430blue
Lead Lap

Thanks for your help. I'll post photos of results as soon as I get it on. I'm looking forward to that deep, wet look everyone keeps describing.
Old 12-29-03, 02:33 PM
Robbo
Rookie

In answer to your intial question. I have a black/black SC430 and I do regret the color decision due to the difficulty in maintaining it. If I were to do it all again, I'd go with silver.

Of course if we have another bad winter, i'll probably have to get rid of the car entirely....