SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Disabling Low Tire Pressure Warning Light

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-04, 11:39 AM
jlinjpn
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disabling Low Tire Pressure Warning Light

The run-flat tires that came on my new SC 430 will soon be banished to Ebay when I replace them with conventional tires. The immediate problem I face is locating clearly written instructions that explain how to remove the plastic fascia that surrounds the tachometer and speedometer gauges, to cover with black tape the Low Tire Pressure Warning Light described in the SC 430's 2004 Lexus Owner's Manual (p. 49).

Covering up the warning light has been a topic of numerous questions posted on this site, yet there seems to be only one post (under the title "Disabling Run Flat sensor Light") that attemps to address these questions. While that post offers a "big picture" description of the process, it omits important details needed by someone unfamiliar with the procedure if damage to the plastic fascia is to be avoided.

The point of this long-winded post is to request that someone familiar with the steps for removing the plastic fascia around the gauges kindly describe in detail how to remove the fascia. In return, after I figure out how to -- and actually complete -- the process myself, I promise to write and post instructions clear enough for anyone's 86 year old grandmother to understand.

Many thanks for any help you can offer!

John
Old 01-22-04, 08:10 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Guys, that sounds like a great proposition; come on, jump in and help.

Hey John, did you try sending en Email or PM to the guy who actually did it? I also remember seeing that post; I think over the FAQ thread. And yes, it was very vague. I wouldn't touch it either without very specific instructions. Once off, I could figure out the rest, but marring the VISIBLE finish, or breaking a tab or something else is what scares me.
Take care.
JC
Old 01-22-04, 11:04 PM
RodF
Pole Position

I, also was not comfortable with taking the chance of doing what seemed to be a simple procedure, because I was afraid of scratching or breaking something. Detailed info would be great!
Old 01-23-04, 07:10 AM
rcf8000
Pole Position

I recently replaced my run-flats with conventional tires. The warning light doesn't bother me; I see no need to do anything about it. But there have also been posts about an associated buzzer. I haven't heard any buzzer, so I don't understand what's going on there.
Old 01-23-04, 08:56 AM
Phu
Pole Position

Did you guys change your wheels when you replaced the run-flats with conventional tires? I've changed my run-flats with Yokohamas months ago and my dealer just kept the sensors. My light only comes on when one of my tires are low.
Old 01-23-04, 09:26 AM
rcf8000
Pole Position

Default Changed wheels

Yes, I changed the wheels. I could have installed the sensors on the new wheels, but decided it wasn't important enough to mess with. I kept the old wheels and tires in case I need a spare in an emergency.(Besides, what else would I do with them? I assume they have little or no value.)
Old 01-24-04, 10:12 AM
Doc C
Lead Lap

The sensors are pretty valuable though!! They cost about $165 each!!! I would hang on to them incase you sell your car to someone who wants the run flat feature on the car. If you don't want them, I'll take them. It'd be nice to have some extras.
take care,

Doc C
Old 01-24-04, 11:36 AM
rcf8000
Pole Position

Good point about the sensors. I think I'll hang on to the old wheels and tires. Maybe when it's time to trade-in/sell the car I'll put them back on it.
Old 01-24-04, 05:25 PM
Doc C
Lead Lap

I'd be a little worried about trying to get to that light to cover it up as well. What if you took a small piece of really dark window tint material and placed it on the outside of the guage cover?? It might look a lot nicer than the black tape solution. I don't know, I'm just thinking crazy. Or, I would have a stereo shop take off the cover and just remove the light. I saw an install of a K-40 radar detector where they drilled real small holes in the speedometer guage face and put small LEDs there. If they can do that, they can disable or remove that light. What would be nice, if it's possible, is to just extend the wires from the bulb and wiring in a fuse that is in series with the bulb before the current reaches the bulb. Then, you could have that wire down under the dash with the fuse right there. Then, you just remove the fuse and the light goes out. Put it in and the light comes on. That would keep you from having to tear into the dash in the future if you changed your mind or sold your car. If they're a good shop, they could do it easily. I just had Sirius put in my SC and they did a great job putting it under the ashtray cover. They moved my cigarette lighter over on the tunnel in passenger side footwell, so I can still charge my phone etc. Just my $.02!!

Doc C
Old 02-14-04, 11:51 PM
tech237
Rookie

set the tires to 40 psi and it will clear itself......