SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

trunk wont open from key

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-04, 08:38 PM
DeniskaGS4
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy trunk wont open from key

This is a recent problem dont know if its due to the extemly cold weather or what. Whenever i try to open my trunk from key it would just beep the actual trunk lid doesnt pop up. I hear the beep and looks like the lock is working but I need press it a few times and actually pull on the trunk to get it to open. Anyone have any ideas. Maybe its the salt that got into the mechanism some how but this is a recent problem, anyone experience anything similar?
Old 01-21-04, 10:45 AM
Doc C
Lead Lap

I've had the exact same problem. Took it to dealer and they fixed it. Since then it has happened only once. It seems that if you close the trunk too gently, it doesn't work. It's a pain because there's no lock to use the key on. You have to use the trunk release in the center console to open it. The fob or normal trunk button won't open it. I would ask your dealer about it.
Old 01-22-04, 07:45 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Hey Doc, on a related note, I tried to get to the trunk release just to know where is it and how it looks like, but couldn't lift the 'carpet' at the bottom of the center console. It felt glued in place, and didn't want to force my way into it. I also didn't want it flopping around just to satisfy my curiosity.
Any tricks how to remove it? Is the release at the bottom or the rear of the console?
If you can give some specific directions to the 'newbies' here, it'd be appreciated. And yes, I read the manual cover to cover, but only says it's 'in the center console'.
Thanks buddy.
JC
Old 01-24-04, 09:58 AM
Doc C
Lead Lap

JC,

Sorry about the delay getting back to you. I was out of town briefly. The trunk release is a little tricky to get to. There is a loose layer of felt in the bottom of the console. You'll need to use your key or a small screw driver to put at the back of the console bottom and lift it up. Your not prying anything, if you can get your fingernail in between the felt and the back wall of the console that will work fine. The trunk release comes from the back side of the the console. It is about 4/5 to the right side of the back wall of the console. once you get the fely lifted up, it's obvious. Just pull on the cable and that will pop the trunk. This is handy to know, because I had disabled the top and trunk and needed to get into the trunk. I went down from my room and didn't have my keys. The valet had the valet key and it won't work in glove box to enable trunk/top. So, being lazy, I used the cable in the console to get something out of my trunk rather than running back to my room to get my master key. Hope this helps.

Doc C
Old 01-24-04, 03:19 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Great instructions Doc; thanks. My fingernails didn't work last time, so knowing it's not glued, I'll use one of my sharp scribes to lift it up and figure a way to make it easy. I think it's important to have access to the release without tools in case the trunk refuses to open electrically.
Thanks again Doc.
JC
Old 01-24-04, 05:09 PM
Doc C
Lead Lap

Yeah, when we were having problems with the trunk, we made a little "tab" out of tape that stuck to the top of the velvet so we could lift it up easy. I just left tab there so it would be there to use if I needed it.