SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Aftermarket REAR SEAT cover/shelf for DOG (Merged)

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-10, 07:11 AM
cjs18
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My daughter uses a hammack-like device for transporting dogs in her Audi A4 sedan. I don't know how you fasten it into the car or whether it would even be adaptable to an SC but I know that she got it at a pet boutique. The car interior seems to be fine so it must be effective. I have a Greyhound myself so I haven't really given a lot of thought to squeezing him into my SC. Good luck with the Schnauzer.
Old 12-02-10, 09:59 AM
toxic
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 110lb weimaraner. Ain't gonna happen...no way ....no day!!LOL!!

TOXIC
Old 12-02-10, 06:47 PM
cjs18
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Yikes. That's a large economy size Weimaraner isn't it?
Old 12-03-10, 03:36 AM
tfeni52355
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Toxic,
Did you get your Weimaraner at Costco?
Old 12-03-10, 08:30 AM
toxic
Driver

No but I'll tell you this, the passenger air bag light turns on if he gets in my wife's car!!LOL!! He is for sure the economy size!! I knew he was going to get big but I wasn't expecting over 100lbs. He is my second wiem, my first was only 75lbs and lived 15 years. I got him to watch over the wife and daughter when I am out of town....which is a lot.

Here's a recent pic of him at home in Virginia!!

The following users liked this post:
JGRX (08-22-20)
Old 12-04-10, 04:13 PM
76210Guy
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My dog Milo, a 45# Wheaten Terrier, rides up front. I tried the rear seat and he just wasn't having any of that. I bought a microfiber blanket that matches my Camel interior, slit two tiny holes in it and pop the headrest and slip the rods through the slits and it is great! It is also easy to launder and cost me all of $39. I saw a lady in Napa, CA last Summer who had the same sort of thing where she tied two strips around her headrests for her two Dalmatians.

I checked out the usual suspects when I was looking for something - al the catalogs and online sources and just did't find anything I really liked or thought would work.

Milo wears a harness that is secured with the seat belt running through the back of it and loves to ride with the top down. Everyone loves that wheat colored shagmeister - he makes a great interior accessory.
Old 12-04-10, 07:41 PM
Rustito
Pole Position

I also have a Wheaten Terrier and she rides politely in the front seat on a microfiber slip cover I got that fits most bucket seats. It has elastic to slide over the back of the seat and under the front. Best of all is the seat part is paded so her nails don't dig into the seat. I sometimes even put a doggie pillow with more filling ontop of the seat cover for extra protection.

I also have a 53lb. Field Spaniel who tends to slim things and I wanted no part of that in my SC. He was used to riding in the back seat in a soft crate so I got one to fit my SC back seat to match color of interior and he jumps right in and is happy as a clam! Yes, it is a tight fit but I researched and got one that pops open so it can be molded to fit the back seat without having metal bars to hold it up. Easy to set-up and take out (I usually do with the top down).

All dogs should ride in such style, huh??!!
Old 12-04-10, 08:40 PM
76210Guy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Rustito
I also have a Wheaten Terrier and she rides politely in the front seat on a microfiber slip cover I got that fits most bucket seats. It has elastic to slide over the back of the seat and under the front. Best of all is the seat part is padded so her nails don't dig into the seat. .....
Nice to see another SC owner with a Wheaten..they're very cool dogs. Where did you get the padded cover? I would buy one of those in a heartbeat. Maybe we should start a "Dogs of the SC430 Forum" thread!
Old 12-04-10, 09:22 PM
Rustito
Pole Position

I love the idea of a forum for dogs of the SC!! Anything with dogs goes over big. Also nice to see another Wheaten owner here. Actually my female, Chessie, is my second Wheaten so for about 3 years I had 2 Wheatens before my male Wheaten passed. A two Wheaten home was a real trip - and sometimes I would take care of a friend's Wheaten so I would have 3 Wheatens under one roof!!

My front seat cover is several years old and it doesn't have the tag saying who makes it, however, I think it came from the place which makes the donut beds which is called Bowser. They have great sueded material - I have a couple of their beds also.
Old 12-05-10, 08:28 AM
tfischer

Received 213 Likes on 159 Posts

You guys should get a cat. Mine rides in the glove compartment with no complaint and zero impact on the lovely SC interior.
Old 12-05-10, 08:44 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,238 Likes on 1,357 Posts

I remembered a few older threads on this topic that might have some ideas.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...og-merged.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...or-my-dog.html

Originally Posted by tfischer
You guys should get a cat. Mine rides in the glove compartment with no complaint and zero impact on the lovely SC interior.

Reminds me of a joke my buddy tells....

Another reason a dog is better than a wife? Put your dog in the trunk of a car and then put your wife in the trunk of another car. Let it sit for four hours, open them up and see which one is more glad to see you.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 12-05-10 at 08:48 AM.
Old 12-05-10, 12:15 PM
76210Guy
Lead Lap

All helpful information - thanks Dave for the links too!

I found a cover at ORVIS and I just ordered one. Will have to let you know when it gets here and Milo tries it out. For $50 its pretty good, so we will see!
Old 12-11-10, 02:45 PM
ceeps
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sc gang, thanks for the help
Old 12-14-10, 07:44 PM
joeyb
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Go to www.autoseats.com
Get the demin

I've used them on my SC430 and my LS
Old 07-07-13, 12:01 PM
Juli
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big Dogs and SCs

We may adopt a large handicapped Labrador mix. She has a club front foot and the other three limbs are not normal. I haven't tried to get her in my SC yet. I don't think she could comfortably get into the back seat. The passenger seat may not be big enough for her either. Thinking their may be a way to make something for the floorboard that would extend the front seat so to speak. Any ideas? Anyone else have a large dog and how do they ride in your SC?

Juli

Quick Reply: Aftermarket REAR SEAT cover/shelf for DOG (Merged)