SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Aftermarket REAR SEAT cover/shelf for DOG (Merged)

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-13, 01:37 PM
KBALL
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not a dog owner so i can't be of help, but wouldnt such a big dog just destroy the leather seating?
Old 07-07-13, 06:31 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

Props for taking in a handicap dog. You probably are saving its life.

Seems like the back seat would be better, both for his safety and yours -- you don't want him interfering with you while you are driving. You might want to fashion some sort of permanent cover to protect the leather and also create a level surface between the two sides of the back seat. The rear seating portion of the back seat easily pops out, so you could work on it outside the car, and also you might want to consider letting the seat belts flop under the seat when you reinstall so they would not be in the dog's way.

Old 07-08-13, 03:31 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Great idea, but to execute this will be to destroy your car.
Old 07-08-13, 06:14 AM
tfischer

Received 216 Likes on 160 Posts

Sell the dog or sell the car.
Old 07-08-13, 10:45 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 412 Likes on 361 Posts

I've got a big dog but I don't carry him in the SC430. However, if I did, I'd carry him in the back seat after covering it up with a drop cloth or something. He would sit or lay sideways like he does in our Camry.
Old 07-08-13, 11:59 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Big dogs and SC's do not mix well...
Old 07-08-13, 01:47 PM
Juli
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With her being handicapped and large, I don't think she could physically get into the back seat. My SC is the only vehicle I could put her in as the husband says no dogs in his Lexus. I have had two rescues from where I volunteer for in my SC. Last week I had a 30# lab in the back seat. She fit well. I've also has a Rottweiler/Doberman mix who rode in the front. I was told he rides well in passenger seat and that is why I put him there. He was comfy sitting but we went hiking and on way back he was tired and tried to lay down but could not get comfy on the small seat. The dog i want to try is even bigger than him plus handicapped. Both times I put down a queen sized thick quilt and the seats were fine. Just a few nose smudges on the windows.
Old 07-08-13, 03:59 PM
tfischer

Actually, from personal experience with many years of having an SC400 and SC430, I would suggest that the SC does not "mix well" with big dogs, small dogs, small children, infants, big babies, cats or the elderly. Kids over 8, teenagers, and adults enjoy it immensely. Big dogs would probably enjoy the ride with the top down (for a while), but a lab would not, I think, be comfortable inside the car; there is just not enough room for that kind of animal.
Also, the concern expressed here is that dogs, will harm the interior, which is luxurious and less durable than that in many other cars. I think that's why a lot of pet owners set up the rear of a small (or large) SUV to keep the dogs out of the passenger compartment altogether. There is nothing inherently wrong with taking fido for a ride, but on a long term basis you risk a substantial diminution to the re-sale value of the car.
On the other hand, I have not had a pet for quite a while, and no small kids either (apart from two grand-daughters who are 4 months old and out of town), so basically I may not know what I am talking about. Still, for these reasons, my reaction to using an SC430 for the regular transport of a large dog is negative.
Old 07-08-13, 08:17 PM
430SILVER
Rookie

My German Shepherd doesn't like riding in the back seat, it's hard to get in and out of. I have a huge pc of dense foam I had cut to fit the floor leg space on the passenger side. To top that off and cover the leather seat, I got a nice looking carpet that runs the length of the seat back and the seat/floor foam. On top of that I put a big dog bed that can be thrown in the washer when needed. Anyway, that's what works for me.
Old 07-09-13, 09:07 AM
76210Guy
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 50# Wheaten Terrier loves riding in the SC. Especially when the top is down. And I think that the SC sits low enough it might help your pooch with some of its issues vis-a-vis being able to get in and out better. I bought a cover I put on the front seat when he rides with me and he has a harness that clicks into the seatbelt. All in all, unless you have another human passenger, the SC works.
Old 07-09-13, 10:30 AM
416tt
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I can only think of one thing and thats only if there isn't another passenger.. lower the passenger seat all the way down then all the way forward and pull the access lever on the side of seat so it the headrest goes as far as it can towards dash. Atleast the dog would get to stick his nose out of the window for air when the top is up!

btw its sweet what your doing!!!!!!
Goodluck

Last edited by 416tt; 07-10-13 at 08:33 AM.
Old 07-10-13, 01:30 PM
Juli
Rookie

Originally Posted by 430SILVER
My German Shepherd doesn't like riding in the back seat, it's hard to get in and out of. I have a huge pc of dense foam I had cut to fit the floor leg space on the passenger side. To top that off and cover the leather seat, I got a nice looking carpet that runs the length of the seat back and the seat/floor foam. On top of that I put a big dog bed that can be thrown in the washer when needed. Anyway, that's what works for me.
That sounds like what I was thinking. Where did you find the foam? Do you have a picture?
Old 07-11-13, 05:36 AM
430SILVER
Rookie

We have a local place called the Foam Factory where they will make anything out of foam.
I don't have a picture handy, it's just a chuck of foam cut in the shape of the leg room.
The one I'm using now was made for my Corvettes, but it fits in the 430 too.
Old 07-11-13, 06:56 AM
tfischer

Pay a visit to a "craft shop" and do a lap around the aisles. They have lots of foam pieces and other material that can easily be assembled using scissors and glue, and my guess is that this will cost a lot less than what you will pay at the "Foam Factory." I would not be surprised to find that the Foam Factory shops here also, but on the other hand, with their experience, you will surely get a good result. In these situations, I get more satisfaction (and pay much less) from finding the parts myself (many laps around the Home Depot) and putting them together, usually spending only a few dollars.
Sincerely,
A guy who drives a $60,000.00 convertible
Old 07-11-13, 06:29 PM
barncat
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 76210Guy
My 50# Wheaten Terrier loves riding in the SC. Especially when the top is down. And I think that the SC sits low enough it might help your pooch with some of its issues vis-a-vis being able to get in and out better. I bought a cover I put on the front seat when he rides with me and he has a harness that clicks into the seatbelt. All in all, unless you have another human passenger, the SC works.
I have two Wheaten terriers and they don't ride in MY SC! And I love those dogs! They're allowed in all of the other cars though!

Quick Reply: Aftermarket REAR SEAT cover/shelf for DOG (Merged)