SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Aftermarket REAR SEAT cover/shelf for DOG (Merged)

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-13, 06:28 PM
76210Guy
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by barncat
I have two Wheaten terriers and they don't ride in MY SC! And I love those dogs! They're allowed in all of the other cars though!
This is why Milo gets to ride in the SC.... a full quilted seat cover and a harness!

[IMG]Uploaded with ImageShack.com[/IMG]
Old 07-31-13, 02:34 PM
Juli
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What a cutie Milo is.
Well, we have Angelina, the disabled Labrador. She was brought to my home via the Rescue's van. She is able to get into my back seat. I have a large quilt covering the seat. I need to find something better that doesn't slide around to cover the back seats. Any suggestions? I don't have to transport her often. I've had her a week and a half and our only trip was a test trip to the neighborhood clubhouse a mile away. Her vet is 5 minutes away.
Old 08-02-13, 10:27 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 412 Likes on 361 Posts

Do a Google on dog covers for car seats. There a lots of versions available out there. You probably want something that is machine washable, IMHO.
Old 08-02-13, 03:48 PM
76210Guy
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine is a machine washable, sort of suede like material and I got it from Orvis for $69 in 2010. Looks brand new still. You can check it out HERE

And good for you helping out a disabled animal. There is a special place in the afterlife for nice folks like you.

Old 05-13-15, 12:59 PM
rrlamichha

Default Big dog in the rear seat (2007 SC 430)

Hi Guys, this is a serious question. I am thinking about getting this 2007 SC 430 vehicle, but I have a English Labrador 90lbs that will need to ride with me frequently. I'm selling my 2007 350z because of the exact reason that he cannot ride with me. I think since SC 430 has rear seats (unlike 350z), this would work for a dog. I can get a harness, seatbelt straps, and a canine seat cover like this (http://www.autoanything.com/seat-cov...A2333A0A0.aspx).

Do you owners think that this is feasible? Is there enough room for a big dog like a full grown labrador in the back? Riding in the front is not an option since my girlfriend will be riding with me up front.

Thanks for you help. Please refrain from commenting if you can't contribute.
Old 05-13-15, 01:06 PM
Habious
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I think a good place to start is to ask how tall you and your girlfriend are.

I'm over 6', and my late wife was like 5'10" so, we would always have both front seats in the most-rearward position (giving the least amount of back seat room).

The SC430 does have back seats but, with tall front passengers, they're really only useful for hauling people if the people you're hauling are under the age of 12...and don't have legs.

With the front seats all the way back, there's ZERO leg room (the back of the front seats literally touch the front of the back seats).

All of that being said, yes, I think it's doable to put a dog back there. Him/her getting in/out might be challenging, though. Again, this depends on how tall you and your g/f are (and how far back you need to keep the front seats).

You can move the seats forward and back but, I think the SC430 holds the world record for having the slowest power seats on the planet.

With the seats all the way back, stepping in/out of the back is very, very tight (obviously even more so with the top up).
Old 05-13-15, 01:31 PM
rrlamichha

Thanks for the very sensible response. I'm 5'8", my girlfriend keeps changing , but usually I date girls that are around my height, no more than 5'11".

Sliding the power seats front to get the dog on and off wouldn't bother me at all, I can wait couple of minutes for it to slide. And, I presume dogs won't need any legroom. He just needs to lay there and have enough headroom to sit-up and stuff. I want to reemphasize that my dog can grow up to be as much as 100 lbs.

Please let me know you honest opinion. Thanks.
Old 05-13-15, 03:12 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

I have a Great Pyrenees who weighs about 120 to 130 pounds. While I don't carry him in the SC430, he will definitely fit. He doesn't need the floor, just the seat. Just lean the seat forward to let him in and out.
Old 05-13-15, 04:16 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

I think much of it has to do with your dog and its temperament and train-ability. When my dog gets in, he knows exactly where to go and what I expect of him during a ride. So there are no problems and we both enjoy the ride.

If your dog is the type that will get in, go to the back seat, lay down, and pretty much stay there, then I think there is probably plenty of room. If that's where the dog is, then both seats could be back all the way for max front passenger leg room.
Old 05-13-15, 10:35 PM
Balr14
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My daughter has a small female Mastiff, around 110 lbs. She has no trouble getting in the back of my SC430. If I just tilt the seat back forward, she can step right over. It took her a little while to adjust to the top down, but now she loves it! However, I strongly advise an old area rug over the back seat. Big dog nails can ruin that leather.
Old 05-14-15, 06:19 PM
LEESUS
Driver School Candidate

My 75lb German Shepard fits in the back without any problems, top up or down, and she absolutely loves riding back there.
Old 05-15-15, 10:51 AM
rrlamichha

Default Solved.

Thanks for your input guys. Looks like big dogs is not a problem in SC 430. Happy riding!
Old 11-02-18, 11:09 PM
OmTeam
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default New owner, need to protect rear seat from my dog

Hi folks, I have the most beautiful SC 430 headed my way on a truck from Baltimore. Midnight pine pearl with saddle leather...it is immaculate. One thing is that my dog will be riding with me nearly all the time, I am looking at different rear seat covers but I’m thinking that the rear seat on this car is so small most won’t work? Anyone out there find a great fitting one? Thank you!
Old 11-03-18, 12:15 AM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 557 Likes on 424 Posts

Welcome to the club. Did you look on eBay and Amazon? Many to choose from.
Old 11-03-18, 08:27 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your acquisition.

What size is your dog? I'm not aware of any custom covers for the back seat but I haven't looked in a long time either. (Our dog was always relegated to the Camry but he was a Great Pyrenees and weighed 130 lbs.)

Quick Reply: Aftermarket REAR SEAT cover/shelf for DOG (Merged)