SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Bummer

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-04, 11:18 AM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Bummer

Put my car on ramps to do its first oil change (at 800 miles), and clean the undercarriage; seems the port (or factory) tetst-rode my car off-road on a rainy day. Even though I got my car right off the truck, and NEVER been on a wet road, it was dirty underneath.

Okay, back to the story. I removed the second plastic undertray (right behind the engine one) to be able to clean and inspect that area, and install an extension hose to the A/C discharge hose, so hard water spots don't keep etching the rack and pinion and other painted parts (as water splashes when dumped over the tray). After having to break the plastic fasteners that hold both the front and back trays together, the first thing I noticed was a small puddle of motor oil on the cover. Upon further inspection, it was leaking where the engine and transmission join. I checked everywhere for oil that could have run from the oil filter, but not a drop. I then removed a cover to reveal the converter, and cleaned the oil accumulated there, as well as under the cover. I couldn't find evidence of an engine seal leak, both by looking with a flash light and touching around the seal (a huge relief), so the only other logical explanation is the sump wasn't sealed properly on the back edges of the engine; unfortunately, I could only stick my fingers about an inch from the inside (felt oily, but nothing liquid to wet the shop towel), and couldn't see with my special mirror beyond there due to the small opening. My question is if repairing it requires removal of either engine and/or transmission. The bad news is it still would require removal of the steering and many suspension parts under the sump at the very least, IF the sump clears the cross-member enough to make the repair, which I doubt. As opposed to many cars before (including the GS and LS), this one had all fluid levels perfectly set at the factory, so an overfilled crankcase causing excessive pressure on the seals is (unfortunately) not an explanation.

Anyway, I'm still hoping it was a fluke during assembly, and would take the car to the dealer only if the leak reappears. If you work on your own car, next time you change the oil, check that area; there's no need to remove that cover just for that.

If anybody feels like taking guesses, the debate is welcome.