SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

SC430 Better?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-04, 08:37 AM
LexywannaB
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question SC430 Better?

Alrighty, joined cause I'm interested in purchasing an SC. I was really thinking about an SC430, but I was talking to a couple "ricer" buddies of mine and they said a SC300/400 was better. Somthing about being able to swap the engine...? I LOVE cars, and I think both the 430 and the 300/400 look amazing, and I think the 300/400 would be better on the 'ol wallet anyway. Just wandering what the experienced and genius minds of this forum had to say. All pros and cons would be awesome!

Thanks a ton in advanced

TWo
Old 03-20-04, 08:50 AM
phluid
Lead Lap

you might want to try the sc forums with this..
Old 03-20-04, 06:04 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

well the sc430 imho is definitely in the next class, but to the gs430 man it's two different cars, can't compare. the sc430 is smaller, it's coupe, and the gs430 is more luxury. i would say the sc430 handles better
Old 03-20-04, 06:07 PM
gs400998
Lexus Test Driver

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

If you like the open air feel of a convertible, then get the SC430. 98 and newer SC400 and SC430 has more HP than the earlier SC4s. A quick search at autotrader.com shows very few pre-owned SC430 under $45k. I found four 98 or newer SC400 less than 45K miles and priced from $24K-$31K.
Old 03-20-04, 06:09 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by rominl
well the sc430 imho is definitely in the next class, but to the gs430 man it's two different cars, can't compare. the sc430 is smaller, it's coupe, and the gs430 is more luxury. i would say the sc430 handles better
I think LexywannaB is asking if the SC430 is better than the SC300/400. Similar response though. Other than the fact that they are coupes, they are different cars. Before going on about the benefits of each, do you want a convertible? How are you with the looks of both since they look so different?
Old 03-20-04, 07:42 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I owned a '99 SC300, an '03 SC430, and now an '03 GS300, so I'd like to put in my .02.

IMHO, in stock form the SC300 is the best balanced of the three in handling. The downside is that even though it is still a beautiful car it doesn't have a lot of the modern conveniences the other two have (i.e. CD changer is in the trunk, storage space is limited, cupholders are lousy). As daily drivers, the other two are more practical.

The SC430 offers the most luxury and by far the best sound system, but the steering is pretty numb and the handling is sloppy w/ lots of body roll. It does have lots of power, but it's not really quick off the line because of the drive-by-wire throttle. It's a great cruiser, but I never found it very satisfying as a driver's car. There were three of us CL members that traded in our SC430's within a few weeks of each other... one for a Porsche Boxster, one for a 350Z, and one for a GS3 Sportdesign (me). I've never been sorry because the GS3 w/ L-tuned steering and suspension can run rings around the other two in the handling department.

But if you're only considering the SC300/400 and the SC430, and you're only looking at performance/handling, the SC300/400 would be my choice. Be sure you take the SC430 for a long test drive before you make a choice.
Old 03-21-04, 12:23 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

nice review, i tend to agree actually. the throttle response is beyond bad imho, it just doesn't respond if you ask me. i really hope they put the 6 speed tranny in there like the ls430, coz' the throttle response on the 04 ls430 is soooo much better than that of the 03, i couldn't believe it. the 03 is just like the sc430, so hope is out there.

in terms of handling, if i were to get the car, coilovers and sway bars are for sure so that's not a problem. roll on that car is crazy, i test drove it and i was going left and right all the time. but in terms of stock to stock i actually find that car handles better than the gs430
Old 03-22-04, 08:12 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally posted by dseag2
I owned a '99 SC300, an '03 SC430, and now an '03 GS300, so I'd like to put in my .02.

IMHO, in stock form the SC300 is the best balanced of the three in handling. The downside is that even though it is still a beautiful car it doesn't have a lot of the modern conveniences the other two have (i.e. CD changer is in the trunk, storage space is limited, cupholders are lousy). As daily drivers, the other two are more practical.

The SC430 offers the most luxury and by far the best sound system, but the steering is pretty numb and the handling is sloppy w/ lots of body roll. It does have lots of power, but it's not really quick off the line because of the drive-by-wire throttle. It's a great cruiser, but I never found it very satisfying as a driver's car. There were three of us CL members that traded in our SC430's within a few weeks of each other... one for a Porsche Boxster, one for a 350Z, and one for a GS3 Sportdesign (me). I've never been sorry because the GS3 w/ L-tuned steering and suspension can run rings around the other two in the handling department.

But if you're only considering the SC300/400 and the SC430, and you're only looking at performance/handling, the SC300/400 would be my choice. Be sure you take the SC430 for a long test drive before you make a choice.
I agree with deag2....unless a lot of power or open-air fun is really important to you, go with the SC300. The SC430 is fun but very complex and expensive...they go for over 60K new. Also, I think it looks too much like an Audi TT. The former SC300 / 400 was really beautiful....one of the worst moves Lexus ever made was dropping it, especially the 300. The GS400, as pointed out, is powerful but nose-heavy. It will have more understeer and wear its front tires out faster than the GS300....and be more expensive to service and use more gas too. The 3.0 Lexus / Toyota straight-six....also in the IS300, GS300, and former non-turbo Supra....is famous for its durability and smoothness.
Old 03-22-04, 12:29 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by mmarshall
I agree with deag2....unless a lot of power or open-air fun is really important to you, go with the SC300. The SC430 is fun but very complex and expensive...they go for over 60K new. Also, I think it looks too much like an Audi TT. The former SC300 / 400 was really beautiful....one of the worst moves Lexus ever made was dropping it, especially the 300. The GS400, as pointed out, is powerful but nose-heavy. It will have more understeer and wear its front tires out faster than the GS300....and be more expensive to service and use more gas too. The 3.0 Lexus / Toyota straight-six....also in the IS300, GS300, and former non-turbo Supra....is famous for its durability and smoothness.
that's so not true. the aluminum v8 block is virtually the same weight as the cast iron i6 block. having two more cylinders doesnt mean it's heavier
Old 03-22-04, 01:53 PM
Dozer42
Pole Position

That's a pretty heavy apples-to-oranges comparison. The two vehicles aren't alike in any way except for the fact that they're both from Lexus, have the SC designation, and have 2 doors. Otherwise they're very different.

Almost like comparing the new thunderbird to the previous model.

One is a convertible, one is a fixed roof.

Take both vehicles for extended test drives, and see which one suits your needs better. You might want to do a bit more research on both too.

Personally I think the old SC3/4 series still looks excellent today, and better than most of the recent junk many companies have come out with. Classic.
Old 03-22-04, 02:02 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Originally posted by Dozer42
Personally I think the old SC3/4 series still looks excellent today, and better than most of the recent junk many companies have come out with. Classic.
Totally agree with you on the looks, Dozer. However, a lot of advances have been made since the SC300/400 was originally introduced in '91. CD changers are now available INSIDE the car, cupholders now actually hold cups, and there are now useable compartments inside cars to hold things. You can also leave the sunroof glass closed and the shade open on most newer cars without hearing excessive wind noise. Not slammin' the SC300/400, but you do give up some conveniences that are now available on newer cars costing much less $$$. Too bad the newer cars aren't as pretty.
Old 03-23-04, 05:57 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally posted by rominl
that's so not true. the aluminum v8 block is virtually the same weight as the cast iron i6 block. having two more cylinders doesnt mean it's heavier
Good catch, Rominl...I'll stand partly corrected here. I'd forgotten the 3.0 in-line was a cast-iron block with an aluminum head, but I'm glad they designed it that way....an iron block bodes well for durability.
I've never been a fan of aluminum blocks, although, as you note, they lessen the load on the front end and improve handling.
Old 03-23-04, 07:53 AM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

FIrst of all (Dseag), ALL Lexus cars with VSC have throttle-by-wire. Both My '98 GS400 and '98 LS400 had it and throttle response was quicker than my SC, so don't blame throttle-by-wire; it's the ECM programming. On your sunroof comment, ALL lexus have the moonroof (glass) variety, and I've NEVER seen one without the separate sunshade. My first Lexus, a '96 SC400 certainly had it.

To the subject. Having owned the said '96 SC400 (260 hp vs previous 250 versions) and a current '04 SC430, the cars are very similar IMO: both cozy inside, weigh about the same, and are bulbous coupes. Only major difference is 430 is a convertible, but 400 has a moonroof. Also worth noting, I WOULDN'T get one like mine with the 4-sp tranny; get a '98 or newer with the 5-sp and 290-hp motor. I hated the opening in the grille myself, but it's better than the lethargic 4-sp; decisions. I had all options in my car, and didn't mind the Nakamichi changer in the trunk. I really loved the articulated door mechanisms, and was blown away by the hydraulic radiator fan; I bet very few paid attention to that. Lexus dropped it because the expense, but it was awesome to see the thing run in total silence. Both great cars.

Good luck.
Old 03-23-04, 08:09 AM
Technics
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by mmarshall
Good catch, Rominl...I'll stand partly corrected here. I'd forgotten the 3.0 in-line was a cast-iron block with an aluminum head, but I'm glad they designed it that way....an iron block bodes well for durability.
I've never been a fan of aluminum blocks, although, as you note, they lessen the load on the front end and improve handling.
mmarshall, I noticed you don't have the PM option selected.

I have some work related questions I would like to discuss with you. Could you provide with me an email address where I can contact you? Perhaps send it through a private message? It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Sorry to go OT.
Old 03-23-04, 08:18 AM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Originally posted by ELP_JC
FIrst of all (Dseag), ALL Lexus cars with VSC have throttle-by-wire. Both My '98 GS400 and '98 LS400 had it and throttle response was quicker than my SC, so don't blame throttle-by-wire; it's the ECM programming. On your sunroof comment, ALL lexus have the moonroof (glass) variety, and I've NEVER seen one without the separate sunshade. My first Lexus, a '96 SC400 certainly had it.
Well... I guess I've been told!

Maybe ALL Lexus cars DO have throttle-by-wire, but the SC430 is definitely slower off the line. My father had a '91 LS400 and a '99 LS400, and I've owned a '99 SC300, an '01 GS300, an '03 SC430, and an '03 GS300. The SC430 IS the slowest to respond. Regardless of the reason, it's a fact.

Re: the sunroof wind noise, I never implied that any Lexus cars didn't have a separate sunshade. I said that with the sunshade open and the glass closed the SC300 had a lot more wind noise than any other Lexus I'd driven. Perhaps you should read the comments before you decide to jump in and flame.

Nice to see some things never change.

Quick Reply: SC430 Better?