SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Tein CS kit has been INSTALLED!

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-04, 01:46 PM
Dozer42
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tein CS kit has been INSTALLED!

Preliminary testing only here as I've only gotten to drive it for about 5 mins this morning with the new suspension, but it seems pretty amazing.

The car is a full 1"+ lower, no rubbing of the tires (even with wider aftermarket wheels/tires), seems like no loss of suspension travel. Ride quality has not deteriorated one bit. The car now stays flat as a board when cornering, virtually no lean at all. Suspension composure over road irregularities is MUCH better. Brake dive has been all but eliminated (wicked!), and the car seems to launch MUCH better now.

The only downside I've noticed so far is that there might be a bit more road noise. The Tein CS kit uses rubber mounts, as opposed to the Tein Flex kit which uses pillowball mounts, but it does seem just a smidge more noisy, but that might just be me being oversensitive.

Overall the car just seems totally buttoned down and nearly perfect.

Hell of an upgrade for $1275 + install!

I'll get a ton of seat time in on it this weekend with the NorCal cruise out of San Francisco.

Thanks to all you guys who gave me the excellent advice to go with the CS kit over the Flex kit. I ask for advice, you give it, I listen.
Old 03-26-04, 03:32 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Glad you like them. Have fun on the drive this weekend.
Old 03-26-04, 04:56 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

congrats man! now your next "mod" is here with me
Old 03-26-04, 08:26 PM
Roofless
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All of your positive Tein CS comments will more than double when you put sway bars on. I went thru this same process.
Old 03-29-04, 05:10 PM
Dozer42
Pole Position

Ok, please tell me where I can get the sway bars! I want em!

After a few days of driving on the Tein CS kit I can give you a bit more feedback.

My lady's only comment was that 'It feels like you can feel every bump in the road'. Of course, I don't think she was paying attention to the ride/suspension before, it was just 'smooth', and now I was specifically asking her if she noticed anything.

My first impression still stands, road noise is significantly higher, it's not horrible, and it's soooooo worth it for the extra handling!

The ride still isn't quite as controlled over bumps as I'd like, I'm used to a Z06 here, where you hit a bump, the suspension responds and settles INSTANTLY. No drama, perfectly predictable. I've been tossin' er about a good bit and it's just a bit floaty/jumpy when hitting bumps midcorner at speed. It's much much better than before, and I'd love it a bit tighter, but I might just need to adjust the shocks a bit too. I know it will never handle like a Z06 and maintain it's 100% nice ride and no road noise.

I'll try the sways next once someone can point me to em! Personally I see zero loss in ride quality, a bit more road noise, much more predictable at the limit, almost no brake dive/squat (BIG help there!!), virtually flat cornering (but the car's sheer mass does make it push a bit), and I'm very happy with the results so far. The lack of brake dive and body roll are superb, the contents of the vehicle now slide around without me even realizing that I'm starting to push it. When tigger hits the windshield, and then flies out the back, it's a good thing (he's my mascot, and I'll clean him up again).

Before when cornering hard the car would lean, and then grip, but float around a bit. Now I can just 'toss' it into a corner and take it to the limits of what the tires will give me, which is exactly what I was looking for. I love being able to just dive into a corner and then get back on the power. Well worth the money spent!
Old 03-29-04, 05:43 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

haha, talk to todd at todd@tmengineering.net about the sways
Old 03-29-04, 05:53 PM
Dozer42
Pole Position

K. Emailed him.

Thanks!

(And thanks for the Xpel kit! Didn't even get a chance to chat yesterday much!)
Old 03-29-04, 06:29 PM
Dozer42
Pole Position

First pic with Tein CS installed:
Attached Thumbnails Tein CS kit has been INSTALLED!-sc430-2.jpg  
Old 03-29-04, 06:44 PM
Dozer42
Pole Position

Actually here's one more pic from before, have to link to it though:

Egyptian Sand SC430 in front of the Egyptian Museum.

Old 03-29-04, 08:03 PM
MagusFuria
Pole Position

Congrats on the install and the improvements BTW, do you have the EDFC installed as well? I've heard conflicting reports as to whether its compatible with the CS system.

P.S. these posts about products that fix body roll etc. are getting me interested =)

~Jesse
Old 03-29-04, 09:16 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

you should lower the car more!
Old 03-29-04, 10:02 PM
Neo
The One

Originally posted by MagusFuria
BTW, do you have the EDFC installed as well? I've heard conflicting reports as to whether its compatible with the CS system.
Should work just fine. I have CS + EDFC. Even though it is on a GS instead of an SC, it should not make a difference.
Old 03-29-04, 10:41 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by Neo
Should work just fine. I have CS + EDFC. Even though it is on a GS instead of an SC, it should not make a difference.
no, not really. the SC has a much lower hood so with the edfc motor it might touch the hood lining. i have seen cases where people have flex and it scratches the hood lining. maybe if you take away the hood lining it would be ok, but if you just snap edfc on the CS, i am not sure

if you go to tein.com, they state that edfc is NOT available for the sc430 at all. must be for a reason
Old 03-29-04, 10:47 PM
Neo
The One

Originally posted by rominl
no, not really. the SC has a much lower hood so with the edfc motor it might touch the hood lining. i have seen cases where people have flex and it scratches the hood lining. maybe if you take away the hood lining it would be ok, but if you just snap edfc on the CS, i am not sure

if you go to tein.com, they state that edfc is NOT available for the sc430 at all. must be for a reason
My bad. Forgot about the clearance issue. I am sure the motor and coilovers should work together. I can't see why the won't. But the hood clearance has been a factor. Sorry for the misinformation.
Old 03-30-04, 07:33 AM
Dozer42
Pole Position

Ok, just checked on the sways, they're about $550 shipped from TMEngineering. Not cheap, but if it improves handling even more I'll try it.

My question is though, will it increase road noise even further? It says it comes with custom polyurethane bushings, I'm wondering if they're required and/or noisy!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Daizen Sport Tuning
High Performance Sway Bar Set
Significantly improved handling and performance. Uses existing OE brackets. Adjustable rear bar can be tuned to individual driver preference. 35mm front/29mm rear - Includes custom polyurethane bushings

Quick Reply: Tein CS kit has been INSTALLED!