SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Maintenance Costs

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-04, 07:27 AM
dsimo
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There seems to be a good deal of variation in maintenance costs depending on the dealer. Since there doesn't seem to be standard maintenance services (other than to follow the maintenance recommendations in the manual), if your cost conscious, find out exactly what your dealer is intending to perform at any specific service visit so as not to be unpleasantly surprised. For example, in my case, while the manual didn't recommend changing transmission and differential fluids, I'm sure that's a good idea, so it's not an issue for me. But in the future, I will be sure to find out exactly what services will be performed and exactly how much they will cost.
Old 04-05-04, 09:58 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally posted by dsimo
if your cost conscious, find out exactly what your dealer is intending to perform at any specific service visit so as not to be unpleasantly surprised. For example, in my case, while the manual didn't recommend changing transmission and differential fluids, I'm sure that's a good idea, so it's not an issue for me. But in the future, I will be sure to find out exactly what services will be performed and exactly how much they will cost.
I couldn't have said it better myself. I think it's both important and wise to research the particulars of your upcoming maintenance service, compare with the service history work done on your car, and decide for yourself if you need to do this and that at the dealership service.

By following this regimen, you can cut out certain service items that don't necessarily have to be performed like oil changes, air filter, etc., and save yourself some money (for mods)
Old 04-05-04, 10:18 AM
Carpe Diem
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Maintenance Costs

There is just one Lexus dealer servicing the greater Baltimore area...
There's a big part of the answer don't you think?

And with regard to Lindsay Lexus requiring extreme usage service standards, all you have to do is tell them what you want and they'll do it. Those SAs are on commission. They're not in the business of pushing business to Pohanka, Silver Spring or Rockville. I don't disagree that conditions here are tough on a car but it really is up to the customer to decide. Are they suggesting that the warranty will be invalid if their recommendations aren't followed? I doubt if Lexus NA would back them up on that one. They do have a nice new service facility under construction so they're looking to generate as much business as they can. But that's just the service business, nothing new. Pohanka does the same thing perhaps just a little less forcefully.

One thing I'm pretty sure of is that Lexus Service Departments are not used to customers questioning what's required. The great majority of Lexus owner know little about their cars and are not cost conscious. Most SA figure if they sound authoritative the customer will ok the work. It's the cashier who gets to hear the grumbling, if any.

George

Last edited by Carpe Diem; 04-05-04 at 10:44 AM.
Old 04-05-04, 12:35 PM
SC400-V8
Racer

Default Re: Re: Maintenance Costs

One thing I'm pretty sure of is that Lexus Service Departments are not used to customers questioning what's required. The great majority of Lexus owner know little about their cars and are not cost conscious. Most SA figure if they sound authoritative the customer will ok the work. It's the cashier who gets to hear the grumbling, if any.

George [/B]
Thats an affirmative. Most people in general don't knwo much about cars, and most peple don't understand the advantages of certain designs, such as front engine vs. mid engine, RWR vs. FWD, so on and so forth.

My g/fs dad questioned me a bit in front of his family.... he said "I cant believe you have a car that cost $40,000, and it didnt even come with front wheel drive!!"

Half the people were clueless and half of us (including me) nearly fell on the floor laughing.
Old 04-12-04, 05:40 PM
golfkwesi
Driver

Default 15K Service costs

When I had my SC430 in for the 10K service at Lexus of Tampa Bay I picked up their service program:

"Basic Service Plan" is $286.95 ( 12 items )

"Premier Service" is $515.95 ( 18 items ) incl:

replacing:
remote key battery
lots of fluids
accesory drive belt
flush cooling system
four wheel alignment
winshield wiper inserts
fuel filter
thermostat & radiator cap

I've listed some of the the additional Premier items. I would assume that the Basic Service is all that is needed for 15K vs the additional items above. What do you all think?
Old 04-12-04, 06:20 PM
dsimo
Driver

Something to keep in mind here, as well, is the period of time that has elapsed. For many, this is not a primary vehicle so you may want to perform services based on months rather than miles. For instance, I have only 15k on my SC but it has been in service for just about exactly two years. So, while I might agree that a basic service is sufficient for 15k miles, I believe that a premium service is due after two years.
Old 04-12-04, 06:49 PM
SC400-V8
Racer

Default Re: 15K Service costs

Originally posted by golfkwesi
When I had my SC430 in for the 10K service at Lexus of Tampa Bay I picked up their service program:

"Basic Service Plan" is $286.95 ( 12 items )

"Premier Service" is $515.95 ( 18 items ) incl:

replacing:
remote key battery
lots of fluids
accesory drive belt
flush cooling system
four wheel alignment
winshield wiper inserts
fuel filter
thermostat & radiator cap

I've listed some of the the additional Premier items. I would assume that the Basic Service is all that is needed for 15K vs the additional items above. What do you all think?

Wow, Ive seen some bull***** before, but this really takes the cake.
Remote key battery is a 85 cent item at walmart.
"Lots of fluids" could be done by a basic mechanic shop for almost nothing.
Accesory drive belts go for around $40 and the 15 min. of labor to put them in.
Flush cooling system is opening the valve on the bottom of the resovior and putting new fluid in.
A 4 wheel alignment at sears is $89 (and they do a very good job)
Windshielf wiper inserts- oh this one REALLY got me laughing... they cant even replace the whole blade assembly (which goes for $4-$6) at walmart, but just the rubber inserts!!
Fuel filter is $15 for a genuine toyota part.

All the aforementioned items could be bought for less than 100 and installed for the same amount... Lexus dealers truly do commit robbery. I cannot believe people actually pay $515 for a servicing that minor.
Old 04-13-04, 08:17 AM
rscharf
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Same Here

Something to keep in mind here, as well, is the period of time that has elapsed. For many, this is not a primary vehicle so you may want to perform services based on months rather than miles. For instance, I have only 15k on my SC but it has been in service for just about exactly two years. So, while I might agree that a basic service is sufficient for 15k miles, I believe that a premium service is due after two years.
Dsimo-

Same here. I am going for 15K service this weekend and I will have had my car for 2 years in June. The service manager said that it would be about 4 hours of service and cost $325. They will be giving me a loaner car. At 10K they didn't charge me for service since they were replacing tires under warranty and he told me that they don't charge for oil changes through 20K if you bought the car at their dealership.

Robert