SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Maintenance Costs

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-04, 02:05 PM
dsimo
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maintenance Costs

I just had my SC430 in for its 15k service. There is just one Lexus dealer servicing the greater Baltimore area, so I am curious what others are being charged for their services.

My 15k service totaled $536 and appears to have included changing the transmission and differential fluids, as well as a new air/pollen filter. This seems a little steep to me, but how does this compare to others?

My 10k service totaled $122 and appears to have been nothing more than an oil change. Again, this appears a bit excessive to me.
Old 03-29-04, 02:11 PM
Dozer42
Pole Position

I just did that same 'Level B' service on my SC430 at 1 year/10k miles. $376 total, plus and extra $60 or so for balancing all four tires. They also replaced the front rotors and pads under warranty due to a vibration under braking.

I'll be going to local shops for my 'Level A'/5000 mile services, I'm not payin' $100 for a friggin' oil change, even if the cookies ARE good.
Old 03-29-04, 02:19 PM
Roofless
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow. Did Lexus cut a deal with your city officials to finance your beautiful baseball stadium? I paid $266 here in California for 15k service.
Old 03-29-04, 02:40 PM
dsimo
Driver

Don't forget about the Raven's new stadium, too!
Old 03-29-04, 03:40 PM
Roofless
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by dsimo
Don't forget about the Raven's new stadium, too!
Ah!
Mystery solved.
Old 03-30-04, 03:43 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Re: Maintenance Costs

I just had my SC430 in for its 15k service. There is just one Lexus dealer servicing the greater Baltimore area, so I am curious what others are being charged for their services.

My 15k service totaled $536 and appears to have included changing the transmission and differential fluids, as well as a new air/pollen filter. This seems a little steep to me, but how does this compare to others?

My 10k service totaled $122 and appears to have been nothing more than an oil change. Again, this appears a bit excessive to me.

You can get oil changes, spark plugs, coolant, etc....at a Toyota shop for about 50-60% of what Lexus service shops charge , an still get the SAME Toyota / Lexus filters , fluids, and materials.

You still need a Lexus shop, though, for warranty work...a Toyota shop can't do that...... (yet).
Old 04-01-04, 09:00 AM
chicagoblknazn
Lead Lap

I just have my brother change my oil and look at the car every now and then. He's a mechanic.
Old 04-01-04, 10:02 AM
MarsB007
Driver

knowing how outrageous the prices for the service really are, I bought the maintenance plan for my 04 SC430 for like $1100/4 years. Since I bought the plan, the dealer also gave me a certificate for free tire replacements for the maintenance period. So I have Maintenance and Tires for the next 4 years for $1100. Not a bad deal I dont think...
Old 04-01-04, 02:16 PM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I'd recommend studying the owner's manual and/or Lexus maintenance recommendations here at the Club Lexus web site and then seeing if the Balt. Lexus dealer is willing to just do that maintenance (or insists on adding their fluff).

My closest dealer in the Wash DC-area was unwilling to do just the Lexus-recommended service (and each service advisor I talked with parroted a stock line about special driving conditions in the DC area). The next closest dealer was responsive and willing to do only the Lexus-recommended service procedures and was thus much less expensive (Pohanka Lexus).

I changed the air conditioner filter myself.
Old 04-01-04, 02:34 PM
dsimo
Driver

Thanks for all of the responses. I just got off the phone with my service advisor. He said that everything is part of Lexus' recommended 15k service:

Labor - $270

Parts:
- gasket - 1.08
- wiper blades - 20.17
- ATF, 4 quarts - 35.28
- gear oil, 4 quarts - 17.08
- motor oil, 6 quarts - 10.08
- air refiner element - 34.50
- air/pollen filter - 45.00
- oil filter - 6.35

Ok, the wiper blades and the air/pollen filter are extra. Does Lexus recommend transmission and differential fluid changes every $15k miles? I don't see that in the maintenance manual.
Old 04-01-04, 02:46 PM
chicagoblknazn
Lead Lap

you can get some of those items yourself and have them install it or do it yourself, like the Air Pollen Filter. It's $23 on irontoad.com but the dealership usually charges around $50.

I save on shipping by buying a couple of them as well as a couple of air filters. They should lower the price of the labor as well since you don't need them to install them. Search the boards and do what you can on your own.

Good luck!!
Old 04-02-04, 08:17 PM
gs400998
Lexus Test Driver

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

It is $100 for 10k Mile and $500 for 15K miles here before taxes so the prices are about the same as what you paid.
Old 04-03-04, 01:38 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally posted by bob2200
I'd recommend studying the owner's manual and/or Lexus maintenance recommendations here at the Club Lexus web site and then seeing if the Balt. Lexus dealer is willing to just do that maintenance (or insists on adding their fluff).

My closest dealer in the Wash DC-area was unwilling to do just the Lexus-recommended service (and each service advisor I talked with parroted a stock line about special driving conditions in the DC area). The next closest dealer was responsive and willing to do only the Lexus-recommended service procedures and was thus much less expensive (Pohanka Lexus).

I changed the air conditioner filter myself.
I live in the DC area myself. That service advisor was NOT handing you a line of BS.....driving conditions in this area are AWFUL. Constant stop-and-go. Potholes. Traffic jams. Speed bumps. Traffic lights. Cold winters and hot summers...not as extreme, granted as the Desert Southwest or North Dakota, but still plenty hot and cold. Only Southern California is as bad traffic-wise as this....and they have a warm climate year-around and smoother roads. So...if the service advisor recommends oil changes at 3 months/3000 miles or other more frequent fluid changes, he means what he says. Nothing ruins an engine more effectively (short of over-red-lining it too much) than tough driving conditions and not changing the oil enough. Many Toyota / Lexus owners with the 3.0 V6 have already found that out with oil sludge and gelling......and siezed-up engines.
Old 04-03-04, 02:17 PM
SC400-V8
Racer

Absolutely REDICULOUS. Last summer I had my 60K mile service done by Bill Spinney's automotive (deals only with high end foreign cars) The total came to about 600... this was for EVERYTHING including the timing belt, fuel filter, ignition coils, all fluids, torque all suspension and frame and essentially everything else.
Old 04-03-04, 02:32 PM
RodF
Pole Position

15000 mile service - $202.42 here in Hawaii

Quick Reply: Maintenance Costs