SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

All good things....

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-04, 09:18 PM
Doc C
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default All good things....

Well friends, I'm sorry to say that I said goodbye to my SC430. I absolutely loved the car in every way. It was soooo smooth. However, I was having service done at the Lexus dealership and was walking across the street at the Acura dealership. I drove an NSX. It was pretty awesome. Completely different car than the SC and definitely not as many high tech goodies, but the V-6 at 8,000 rpm is a pretty amazing sound. The used car manager had been hounding me about my SC with the HREs and Michelins. He made me an offer I couldn't refuse and Acura has a sweet lease deal on the NSX. I had to jump. I will still hang out on this forum if that's okay, because I love the SC430 and Lexus. I've seen people get something else and then start trashing the car on these forums that they once loved. Not me. The SC430 is probably built better than any car I've ever had and the Lexus service has been excellent. Also, this forum has been invaluable the last 2 years. You guys and ladies have always been kind and extremely genuine, and I thank you. Gene, you have been a fair moderator that runs a clean, fair forum with no personal attacks or trash talking. That's worth a lot. I'll be over at NSX prime as well.

Thanks again to everyone for all the help. Dseag2, ELPJC,mmarshall, Gene and everyone else. You all are why the "L" brand will always have class. If I've offended anyone at all, I apologize. Take care.

Doc C
Old 04-08-04, 04:47 PM
Roofless
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh my. You've pulled a Reverse-Larry!

Interesting change. Please post your comments on the pros and cons of your new car vs. the SC after you've had it awhile. Curious to know which of those two cars handles the altitude better?

It's a great car, and I've often thought of owning one.
Have fun with it, Doc!
Old 04-08-04, 08:32 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Hey buddy, I'm really glad you went for something better. I hate when people have to scale down due to financial difficulty or such. Since I consider the SC a 2-seater, the NSX makes perfect sense as the next step up. It's a refined supercar, and one that can be driven like a corolla with about the same maintenance (said by magazines, and I believe that). Smart choice buddy.
Give us the details man. Did you buy it new or used? What are your first driving impressions? Did you get the 6-sp or the auto? I was disappointed at the detuning of the auto since I don't want a stick anymore, but I bet it's still as quick as the SC. I also have mixed feelings with the exposed headlamps, but with the news Acura will redesign the NSX with a V-6, you did the right thing about buying one right now at a bargain price. After a disappointing ownership of an '03 vette for 6 months, I question how quiet the targa top is on your car; I couldn't stand the noise on the vette, especially where the front of the top seals with the window.
Glad you're fine, enjoy your new toy, and please keep in touch. And YOU are the best resource on this board in my book; sad to see you leave the brand, but I'm happy for you. Happy Easter.
Old 04-08-04, 09:06 PM
Phu
Pole Position

great choice, good luck with the new car Doc
Old 04-08-04, 10:45 PM
Doc C
Lead Lap

Thanks for the replies. Well, I probably won't be driving it until a week or so. It's in Austin TX and I'm having it shipped up here. I am leasing a 2004 new one. It's silver with silver leather and 6-speed. Bose stereo in the one I test drove sucks in comparison to ML. My strategy is this.... They are redesigning the NSX for the '05 or '06 model. I've never leased a car before, but here is why I'm trying it. If the new one comes out and sucks (unlikely) then I will have one of the last hand built all aluminum NSXs made and I can buy it with a known owner history. If new one comes out and kicks a--, then I drive this one for 3 years and turn in the keys. I don't have to worry about a huge depreciation hit because the new model is out and this one has depreciated more rapidly. The lease on the current model is: $2598 closing (999 down, $800 security deposit and first payment of $799) then $799/month for 3 years. Interest is ridiculously low. NSX prime website said the interest cost would be a little over $5K for the three years. On an $84K car, that's not bad. Rumor has the new (redesigned) NSX at 400hp 3.5L V-6 with 0-60 at 3.8 and 1/4 at 12.1 sec.

I'll give more info once I have it, but test drive was almost as smooth a ride as the SC. Acceleration was WAY better. Gene, I'm 6'3 and 230 and I fit in it okay. Road noise is more predominant in NSX. You know those little yellow signs on turns that say 35 m.p.h. or 25 m.p.h.?? On test drive, my wife took a 35m.p.h. turn at 80 and never squealed a tire. SC is way more refined, more modern, with better interior materials. But, when you hear that engine at 8,000 rpm from behind your seat, it give you goosebumps!! In 1991, when I was busting my a-- in school and all my friends were partying and I was studying, I had a pic of an NSX on the wall. At 3-4a.m. while studying, I would look over at that car and it was one of my biggest motivations. I've always admired it, so I thought I'd take a chance and get one. There pretty rare. Acura is only importing 177 of them this year. Not anything that will be collectable, you just don't see many of them on the street like Mustangs, Vettes etc. Oh well, thanks for the well wishes. You guys are great!! If you're bored check out NSXprime.com sometime. It's a good forum too. Doc C
Old 04-09-04, 08:13 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts

Congrats Doc, NSX is always one of my all time favourite, although I still miss the pre-facelift model with the retractable headlights, but it's the only exotic that's reliable and most suitable for daily driving, so good choice.
I've also follow your thread in the LX forum on your interest & impression of the new QX, so does that mean you'll be leaving Lexus entirely soon ?
Old 04-10-04, 05:56 AM
Doc C
Lead Lap

Sexy SC,

No. Absolutely not. I was very impressed with the QX56 when I drove it. We went and drove an '04 LX 470. It was like butta!!! We will definitely get a new LX 470. Might wait until the '05 model comes out to see what's new (if anything). Infiniti has built a really good vehicle in the OX, but the LX still maintains a build quality lead. If any of you guys have the chance to drive a 6 speed NSX, you need to do it. It is a rush. I know it's not Ferrari-ville, but for a poor schmuck like me, it's about as close as I'll get to that. Happy Easter to all of you.

Doc C
Old 04-10-04, 11:37 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Well, Doc...congragulations. You certainly are not going to have a "me, too" car.....NSX owners in general are few and far between. You are going to have FUN with this car on winding mountain roads ( I notice you're from Colorado ). Just keep the Traction Control and the Stability systems turned on...this is a somewhat rear-weight-bias car like the Porsche 911, and 911s were famous for lift-throttle oversteer and occassional spinouts, though it has largely been tamed by modern tires and suspensions. The mid-to-rear weight bias will also give very short braking distances...the rear brakes do their share of the work.
Though the power is not in the Viper or Corvette Z06 class, there is enough HP if you keep the revs up to maintain a fair amount of power at those high altitudes and thin air in Colorado. Like all Honda VTEC engines, though, torque is not abundant at lower RPMs.
The car's only real negative ( besides difficult-to-get insurance ) comes if you need to get body or frame-repair. Like the Audi A8 and Jag XJ, the structure and body is all-aluminum, so only certain shops can work on it....and only with cetain methods.
Unless Acura tells you something different, I'll give you the same break-in advice I give everyone...for the first 1000-1500 miles, no hard stops except for emergencies, keep the RPM below about 4000 RPM or so, no full-throtle starts, vary the engine speed....no constant RPM-driving, and change the oil / filter after 1000 miles to get the shavings and impurities out (unless Acura uses break-in oil..then follow their recommendations). Good luck, partner.
Old 04-10-04, 02:44 PM
Doc C
Lead Lap

mmarshall,
Thanks for the tips. I would like to add a Comptech Supercharger and get that forced air 400+ horsepower. Since I"m leasing, that's not a good idea. I never see any on the road and when I do my chin drops. It doesn't look as good in photos as it does in person. The SC 430 is a lot that way. I hated the styling until I saw one on the showroom floor at dealership. I had to have it then. I know the NSX is dated styling-wise and that it's not a brute like a Viper. But it does everything well. 0-60 in 4.5 sec. and handles like it's on rails. Since it's a V-6, it gets about 24 miles to the gallon as well. Trunk is almost as useful as the SC, and while there isn't a retractable hardtop, the targa roof comes out nicely. I've heard about Ferrari and Porsche oil changes costing hundreds of dollars. The NSX is 39.95 just like a Honda civic. The interest rate on the lease is barely over 2%. It's not as smooth as SC430, radio stinks, not as quiet...but I told my wife that to be able to have a mid-engine, all aluminum, hand built, semi exotic car in our budget, we should take advantage of it. So we did. Hopefully have it next week. Hated to see the SC430 be gone with those beautiful HREs on it. Wish I could have both. Oh well. Thanks mmarshall. It'll be hard to keep it under 4,000, but Acura said the same thing to me. Take care.

Doc C
Old 04-10-04, 06:02 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally posted by Doc C
. . . Hated to see the SC430 be gone with those beautiful HREs on it. Wish I could have both. Oh well. . . .

Doc C

NSX looks good with HRE 546R's on them.

and 547R's will look just as hot.
Old 04-10-04, 08:07 PM
Doc C
Lead Lap

OMG!!! That's awesome looking. I might be giving Peter a call!!! Thanks for the pic!!!
Old 04-11-04, 05:56 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Congrats, Doc! You've got yourself a dream car. The NSX has always been one of my favorites, and if I didn't have to commute in Miami stop-and-go traffic everyday I would consider one myself. It's a great time to be a car freak. Even the sedans being introduced next year should be a blast to drive (new GS430, M45, Acura RL). I'm personally waiting with bated breath to figure out which car I want next. It's great to have so many choices. By the time your lease is up, I can only imagine what will be available.

Keep us posted. I'm very interested in hearing about your new ride. I'm spending more and more time on the Acura and Infiniti forums... in fact, I've run into a few other CL members there... so I'm sure I'll be reading your comments soon! Best of luck.
Old 04-11-04, 07:58 PM
Doc C
Lead Lap

Some of the best advice I got on this forum was from you, Dseag 2. The Pilot Sports were awesome on my SC. I saw and article the other day that said the NSX and the LS400 were two huge blows to the European luxury and sports car makers. They didn't make a sports car that performed like the NSX, but had the reliability and durability of the Civic/Accord. The LS400 showed that a beautiful luxury sedan could perform well and cost less. I remember the ads for the LS400 showing that they cost $39,995. MB and BMW couldn't touch the price or the quality. The NSX cost about $62K in 1991. 91 model NSXs with decent mileage get over $25K in some cases. I know there is inflation etc that affect those numbers, but that's some amazing resale value. You're right about the new cars. Can't wait for the new NSX in '06. It should be breathtaking. That new M45 looks nice too. Infiniti is not quite up to Lexus IMO, but they are coming on quick. I hope to see you on NSXprime.com some as well. Thanks for all the tips on the SC430. Take care.