SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Thoughts on the 2005 MB SLK

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-04, 09:02 AM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally posted by 95BlackSC
The only reservation i'd have about the new SLK would be the chrysler parts in the vehicle. Does anyone know how many there are and what they are?
I've never been a MB fan, but in this case I don't think you need to worry about that. It's the opposite; MB parts are ending up in Chrysler vehicles, especially engine and drivetrain components. The crossfire goes even further: it's a reskinned 'old' SLK. Looks awful IMHO, but should be pretty reliable.
MB is finally going with DOHC and 4-valve heads, after trying to convince people the SOHC 3-valve was better (yeah right). The cheesy and ugly interiors are supposedly being 'redesigned' as well, so until all that happens, and they're proved reliable, I'm not looking their way.
Old 04-23-04, 07:49 AM
BrickHead
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really love the look of the 05 SLK. However, MB reliability issues keep me from considering getting one.
Old 04-23-04, 09:19 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally posted by SexySC
Won't the next generation IS hardtop convertible coupe satisfy your need ?
Maybe...especially if it is AWD. I think they should also consider bringing back the SC300/330 hardtop like the last generation was...without a convertible roof at all. That would keep the price down even more.
But...granted.......if Lexus custom-built a car for every prospective customer (including us on the forum) they couldn't afford to stay in buisness. Their cars are not cheap as it is.
Old 04-27-04, 09:26 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by ELP_JC
I've never been a MB fan, but in this case I don't think you need to worry about that. It's the opposite; MB parts are ending up in Chrysler vehicles, especially engine and drivetrain components. The crossfire goes even further: it's a reskinned 'old' SLK. Looks awful IMHO, but should be pretty reliable.
MB is finally going with DOHC and 4-valve heads, after trying to convince people the SOHC 3-valve was better (yeah right). The cheesy and ugly interiors are supposedly being 'redesigned' as well, so until all that happens, and they're proved reliable, I'm not looking their way.
At lower and mid-RPM's, the SOHC and 3-valves do in fact make more sense for several reasons. There is less frictional pumping loss on the engine from not having to drive extra belts, cams, and valves opening and closing. There are fewer surfaces inside the cylinders for carbon to build up on. And the engine is cheaper to produce, service, or rebuild.
Now...at high RPM's..... yes, the DOHC and 4-valves are better. The engine breathes better, burns more air-fuel, makes more power, and gets rid of the exhaust gas better through 4 valves.
Old 05-05-04, 09:44 AM
Jayson
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The new SLK is a vast improvement over the old model. It's styling is going to be a sure eye-catcher and I don't think Mercedes will have a problem selling them. I do not think that the buyer of the SC430 will be the same as the SLK model. Very different price ranges, as stated in an earlier post, and from I have read it will be a very different ride.
Old 05-06-04, 02:18 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by Jayson
The new SLK is a vast improvement over the old model. It's styling is going to be a sure eye-catcher and I don't think Mercedes will have a problem selling them. I do not think that the buyer of the SC430 will be the same as the SLK model. Very different price ranges, as stated in an earlier post, and from I have read it will be a very different ride.
Price aside, the smart person will still buy the SC. There is a BIG quality difference between the average Mercedes and the average Lexus.
Old 05-08-04, 04:17 PM
Jayson
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by mmarshall
Price aside, the smart person will still buy the SC. There is a BIG quality difference between the average Mercedes and the average Lexus.
I agree wholeheartedly. I just have not heard anything good about Mercedes Benz of Austin's customer service that would make me want to buy a Mercedes. I'm a value customer and investor, so Lexus is where I will stay for the long run.
Old 05-10-04, 08:31 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Question Starting up out of the pit?

Originally posted by Jayson
I agree wholeheartedly. I just have not heard anything good about Mercedes Benz of Austin's customer service that would make me want to buy a Mercedes. I'm a value customer and investor, so Lexus is where I will stay for the long run.
Mercedes is showing some long-awaited improvement in the latest J.D. Power figures, but of course the jury is still out on this one.
Old 10-10-04, 10:58 AM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My personal thoughts are if you want comfort and some performance then get the SC430. If you want performance only then go for the new SLK. The SLK weighs in 500 lbs less and has plenty of power. It will be easier to throw the car around. The SC430 though has such a beautiful interior and reliability to boot.
Old 10-10-04, 02:27 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default New SLK

Since I've always done something custom to every car I've ever owned, I imagine it modded when I consider it's worthiness. The current SLK was nice but a bit plain...until it was modded. I've seen a few I'd drive in a heartbeat. Problem is they are cramped inside and underpowered except for the AMG.
The new SLK brings more style to the party. I love the SLR but mimicking the nose on the smaller SLK does not work as well. However, when I imagine it modded...I get all kinds of interesting visions. If it's larger inside, it could be a winner. Sort of a cheaper SL.

Main issue is reliability though. Nothing heart warming about any Benz until they solve the reliability issues. I can't see that happening anytime soon using Chrysler parts. Chrysler's have forever been headaches. I know....I had one.
Old 10-12-04, 11:54 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Ummm...i definately think that the SLK screams chick whip. Its so girly to me. The AMG has a little more *****, but I still wouldnt like to be seen in it. And its not even that good looking.
Old 10-12-04, 01:38 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally posted by magneto112
Ummm...i definately think that the SLK screams chick whip. Its so girly to me. The AMG has a little more *****, but I still wouldnt like to be seen in it. And its not even that good looking.
that nose is particularly ugly.

Last edited by Gojirra99; 10-12-04 at 01:54 PM.
Old 10-17-04, 07:52 PM
alfa2600
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SLK = anteater nose