SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Thoughts on the 2005 MB SLK

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-04, 02:30 PM
PB430
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thoughts on the 2005 MB SLK

Having just bought a Pebble Beach 430, which I adore (after a miserable experience with a new 2003.5 M3 convertible), I have to admit browsing the web for more information on the new MB SLK coming out later this year. Like the SC, it has the wonderful retractable hard top (I will NEVER again own a soft top convertible), new improved looks borrowed from the McClaren SLR, and an AMG V8 version with 350 horses (yikes). Anyway, not to be disloyal, because as I said before, I could not be happier with my SC, is there anyone else out there with wandering eyes?

Oh and BTW, anyone have any idea why I can't add to message threads, but I can post new ones?

Cheers,

Glenn
Old 04-20-04, 02:51 PM
anonymous
Pit Crew

I'd take the SLK in a heartbeat. You can get a very well equipped SLK 350 for probably less than the SC. The new interior is just outstanding in it.
Old 04-20-04, 03:51 PM
MagusFuria
Pole Position

i dunno, im not feeling the front end of the new slk. it has that kid brother look =P. on the other hand, the MB SL500, 600,55 are gorgeous. by adding new messages do you mean replying? (if so, the bottom right corner has a post reply button)
Old 04-20-04, 05:31 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

new improved looks borrowed from the McClaren SLR
Improved? I consider it a HUGE detriment with that hideous trunk/nose on the hood/grille. As for the interior, I would have to see the real car personally to comment. It's not going to be too roomy I suspect.

Last edited by Gojirra99; 04-20-04 at 05:37 PM.
Old 04-20-04, 08:49 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

I also think MB messed up the SLK big time. By the way, I also hate the McLaren, which is similar. The SL is much better looking than both, but not worth 30 grand more to me. I certainly woudn't mind having one; saw an SL65 AMG the other day, and it's gorgeous. the guy took off like a madman. It's got to be WAY faster than our cars; it was a speck in the horizon in no time.

As far as the SLK350, as ugly as it is (IMO, of course), it should outperform the SC in every respect, and at significant savings I'm sure, but it's much smaller as well. No way I'd own one, and neither a boxster, S2000, or any of those miniature roadsters. It seems like you can reach the trunk lid by extending your arm backwards (yuk!).

Finally, just as Glenn said, I'll NEVER own a ragtop again. Not to worry; have you seen the myriad of cars coming out with hardtops lately? The most interesting one is the upcoming VW cabriotet; it has a glass roof, and you can either partially open it like a targa, or completely like our cars. All in a very good looking package. That's an engineering achievement. There's another small car coming out with a hardtop as well. So much for an 'exclusive' feature, huh?

Good evening.
Old 04-20-04, 09:01 PM
PBEchicago
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Re: PB430

I also have the new and rare (only 400 in USA) "Pebble Beach Edition" SC430. It's my dream car. They can keep the unreliable and commonplace Mercedes-Benz SLK, even the more expensive SL 500. If I had a new SL 500, I'd sell it in favor of a Pebble Beach and pocket the $20-25 grand difference.

I'm still amazed at the admiring, often furtive glances of M-B and XLR owners on Chicago's Rush Street (night life). I have yet to see another "Pebble Beach Edition" outside of a Lexus showroom last fall. It was sold to a Floridian within hours.

I declined the run-flats in favor of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S with spare kit added. I knew from the git-go that storage space is virtually non-existent.

I had to pay full MSRP "sticker" price ($65,335) plus tax. What did YOU pay, Glenn?
Old 04-21-04, 07:35 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally posted by anonymous
I'd take the SLK in a heartbeat. You can get a very well equipped SLK 350 for probably less than the SC. The new interior is just outstanding in it.
This is an issue that has also been addessed in some of the other threads here. The SLK-SC comparison is skewed by the fact that Lexus could have done a new SC300 that would have competed with the SLK price-wise but didn't....they dropped the old model asnd didn't replace it. So basically a 40-45K SLK competes with a 61K SC430.
Old 04-21-04, 07:49 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would choose the SC over the new SLK, except maybe the AMG version.
Old 04-21-04, 09:30 AM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally posted by mmarshall
This is an issue that has also been addessed in some of the other threads here. The SLK-SC comparison is skewed by the fact that Lexus could have done a new SC300 that would have competed with the SLK price-wise but didn't....they dropped the old model asnd didn't replace it. So basically a 40-45K SLK competes with a 61K SC430.
The SLK is not really a competitor to the SC, other than both have a retractable hardtop; it's a much smaller car. That's why an SLK350 can spank an SC (and an SL500). I'd never own such a small car, regardless of power and price. If somebody doesn't mind the size, it's obviously an attractive alternative to the SC, just like the SC is against the SL500 (both separated around $25K up and down).

As far as an SC300? Just doesn't make sense IMO, and I'm glad Lexus thinks the same way. The previous SC300 was several hundred pounds lighter, and much cheaper to build. My guess is Lexus will revert back to the 300/430 coupe forumla for the next iteration, but we'll see.
Old 04-21-04, 09:56 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Originally posted by ELP_JC
. My guess is Lexus will revert back to the 300/430 coupe forumla for the next iteration, but we'll see.
Looks like even the next IS coupe (LF-C concept) will be a hardtop convertible. Personally, I think the next Lexus coupe will be the supercar that Lexus is reported to be developing.

. . .and I agree, SC330

Last edited by Gojirra99; 04-21-04 at 09:57 AM.
Old 04-21-04, 12:18 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally posted by ELP_JC
The SLK is not really a competitor to the SC, other than both have a retractable hardtop; it's a much smaller car. That's why an SLK350 can spank an SC (and an SL500). I'd never own such a small car, regardless of power and price. If somebody doesn't mind the size, it's obviously an attractive alternative to the SC, just like the SC is against the SL500 (both separated around $25K up and down).

As far as an SC300? Just doesn't make sense IMO, and I'm glad Lexus thinks the same way. The previous SC300 was several hundred pounds lighter, and much cheaper to build. My guess is Lexus will revert back to the 300/430 coupe forumla for the next iteration, but we'll see.
It has been argued that today's SC300/330 is really the new Toyota Solara. I agree from a size standpoint, but not from that of refinement or plushness inside. The Solara doesn't have real wood or the folding hardtop.
Well, any way, I would seriously consider an SC300/330 as a next car if Lexus would produce it, but I realize that not everyone in this forum agrees....and that is what these forums are for, to compare opinions.
Old 04-21-04, 05:38 PM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Quality...quality...quality....

I will bet you that the new SLK is a paper tiger. That is, it may look good on the outside, but it's a POS on the inside. It will have a ton of quality issues...if they can't even get the G-wagon problem free (> 20 year old design), then SLK does not have a prayer! (BTW, i have been researching the G-wagon...so that's why i know.)

There's plenty of article out stating that Mercedes uses the cheapest parts available to bring the cost of their cars down.

Stick with your Lexus....
Old 04-21-04, 07:44 PM
anonymous
Pit Crew

Originally posted by tigmd99
Quality...quality...quality....

I will bet you that the new SLK is a paper tiger. That is, it may look good on the outside, but it's a POS on the inside. It will have a ton of quality issues...if they can't even get the G-wagon problem free (> 20 year old design), then SLK does not have a prayer! (BTW, i have been researching the G-wagon...so that's why i know.)

There's plenty of article out stating that Mercedes uses the cheapest parts available to bring the cost of their cars down.

Stick with your Lexus....
Lexus quality will always be better. But I just love the steering in the new Mercedes vehicles. They say the new SLK is supposed to handle somewhat like the new E Class which is great. I got to see the SLK interior and it is outstanding really. I just can't wait until the new SC comes out. I really think Lexus can do a lot better with their interior design. The new ES and GS really disasppoint me. It doesn't seem like they're spending much time on the interior considering what they did to the new RX 330. Maybe I'm biased because I'm driving one but many people believe the same too. Anyone else upset with the interior in the new Lexus vehicles??
Old 04-22-04, 06:46 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Originally posted by mmarshall
. . . . . .
Well, any way, I would seriously consider an SC300/330 as a next car if Lexus would produce it, but I realize that not everyone in this forum agrees....and that is what these forums are for, to compare opinions.
Won't the next generation IS hardtop convertible coupe satisfy your need ?
Old 04-22-04, 08:08 AM
95BlackSC
Pole Position

The only reservation i'd have about the new SLK would be the chrysler parts in the vehicle. Does anyone know how many there are and what they are?

Quick Reply: Thoughts on the 2005 MB SLK