SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Road Debris in trunk

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-04 | 07:07 PM
Deanski
Driver

Default Road Debris in trunk

Have any of you found say, loose road patch material (small pebbles etc) inside the trunk?

After going over a patched area on the road, I opened the trunk and found all kinds of debirs thrown into the trunk area and ontop of the roll-out cover for the hardtop. Mostly small pebbles.

Looks like a trip to the dealer is in order.

If these small pebbles can find there way into the trunk, what next? Water? Sand?

My initial concern is the damage to the top when it's in the trunk, or as it gets put into it. Obviously it would then be scratched pretty well.

Somehow it's finding it's way into there!

Regards,

Deanski
Old 04-29-04 | 06:30 AM
tfischer

That's very strange. In 3 years I have driven over my share of bad roads (literally and figuratively, but let's stay with the literal today), and I have never found anything like that happening. Unless something was on the roof and got deposited into the trunk earlier, I would think that your trunk lid was not closed. But that should have produced a light on the dash.

Before invoking the Lexus service folks, I would try to reproduce the problem and see if it happens again. If not, maybe it was just an unusual situation. If you can clean out the trunk again and then find new road stuff in there, that would be a big problem.

We never want to generalize from insufficient data.

PS: Love the Red/Ecru.
Old 04-29-04 | 09:16 AM
Deanski
Driver

Default Debris

The SC430 is always garaged, never sees rain and never had this issue before.

The trunk lid was closed, no light.

The only thing I found previous was small tree/bush debris when top is down. Not many, just several.

I'll have to test again, but do think there is a problem. No matter what, nothing should find its way into the trunk area. Checked all seals, all perfect shape and clean.

It has to be kicked-up from the tires and finding its way through the wheel well area. The wheel well is clean and protected by Meguiars Engine Kote as a dressing due to it dries hard as opposed to those other types. Also keeps all suspension and trailing arms looking brand-new. Dealer last time wonders how I can drive it and keep it this clean under there.

I'll keep everyone posted.

Red/Ecru: Wonderful with Wolfgang/Souveran and a bear to keep Ecru clean with top down! Lots of Zaino cleaner and treatment along with 1Z products to keep it new. Love to get one of those covers that I saw which covers the whole rear area, up to the front seats. :thumbup

Regards,

Deanski
Old 04-29-04 | 09:37 AM
tfischer

DEAN:

Good luck with the trunk issue.

I have black/ecru, and use Zaino all the time. For the leather, I have found that Leatherique works well and is a little stronger than the Zaino cleaner. Also helpful from time to time is Woolite mixed with 6 parts water.

Still, it's worth the effort for the bold fashion statement.

Everybody seems to like the maple. I'm so tired of the red/brown wood, and enjoy the different look.
Old 04-30-04 | 09:35 AM
LXTACY
Driver School Candidate

Are you sure it is not road debris that was on the roof of the car when you put the top down? Thats happened to me before, if I haven't washed it that day and decide to drop the top.
Old 04-30-04 | 09:43 AM
tfischer

Road debris on the roof of the car???

What kind of roads are you driving on?

And the top should be waxed with the rest of the car.

You get road debris on the roof???

Are you sure?
Old 05-02-04 | 06:35 AM
Deanski
Driver

Default Trunk

No, it was in the trunk prior to the roof being put down.

I noticed them on the grey roll-up cover where the roof/top is stored.

tfisher: I love the Leatherique product and also use the woolite from tim-to-time depending on how dirty the Ecru gets with top down. Always get that very light dust that settles on the back seats.

Love to have one of those covers I saw that covers the whole back seat area like the old English cars once had.

Regards,

Deanski