SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

What do you think about Lexus design?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-04, 05:37 PM
PB430
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do you think about Lexus design?

I read a lot of Car magazines and the general concensus appears to be a) that Lexus quality and build is second to none and that b) Lexus design is boring as dirt. I have to admit that compared to some of the newer MB, BMW and Infiniti designs, Lexus is looking long in the tooth.

I adore the look of the SC 430, but I find the rest of the Lexus line-up similar to generic Japanese cars of the late 1990s. One complaint I read in one of the big car magazines, is that you could put the Lexus logo on the front of almost any generic car, and you wouldn't know any better. This is not the case with the above named brands.

I come to the SC 430 after a terrible experience with a BMW M3 convertible. I thought that the M3 looked stellar, but the SC 430 was much more cutting edge. The new BMWs, while controversial, and not always admired, are at least bold and innovative. I realize that the newest information out there indicates that Lexus is planning new and more exciting designs, but nothing of interest is coming until the 2007 model year. I wonder why Lexus' design division is on such a drawn out design cycle.

I'm curious to see what everyone else thinks.

Cheers

PS One last question; Can anyone tell me why I can't respond to posts - I simply can't find a "post" option or button on any of the threads I look at, despite being logged in etc..
Old 05-10-04, 07:01 PM
PBEchicago
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To post a reply, simply click on the "POST REPLY" button at the extreme lower right-hand corner of the last posting.

I'll take the design of my new "Pebble Beach Edition" SC 430 over any other roadster, including the Mercedes-Benz SL500 and Cadillac XLR. If I had either of the latter two, I'd resell, buy a new SC 430 and pocket the change.

Last edited by PBEchicago; 05-10-04 at 07:02 PM.
Old 05-11-04, 06:27 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Cool "Cool" vs. "Hot" styling

Too many car buyers, in my opinion, place too much emphasis on looks. What is far more important is how well a car is built....and this is one area where Lexus in general really has done well. However, that is not to say that aren't vehicles that can be considered "ugly "...the Pontiac Aztek, the Scion xB, and the rear end of some new BMW's certainly come to mind. And I am not a fan at all of the tendency to use these sweep triangular headlights that go halfway up the sides of the hood....THOSE are ugly, in my view...like on the new Prius, the ES330, and the Ford Focus.
Lexus traditionally has put the money where it counts....quality control, though it sometimes strays from the ordinary in styling, like on the IS300's dash and the SC430 that you like so much.
Even paint colors sometimes tell you something. Look at the top sellers.....ultra-conservative metallic silvers and grays. I happen to like bright shades and pastels myself ( I have a bright yellow IS300 myself )
but the auto market in general shys away from this.
Old 05-15-04, 12:36 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Lexus designs

I'm a coupe guy. Yes I also have an ES300 but my wife drives it mostly. My perspective is from a coupe frame of reference.
I for one am disappointed in Lexus latest designs. I thought the first gens were conservative but very classy. The 1st gen sc line looked the best and still does. I don't say this because I have one, remember...I love coupes. Long sloping hoods, low roofline, raked winshield, long doors, short rear decklid, large wheel openings, overall sleekness. Oh my...I get emotional just visualizing it. I hoped the new sc would improve on the theme. Instead it went another direction. It's attractive but not my cup of tea...too bulbous.
The GS is attractive but also bulbous.
The new ES is attractive but looks like a boat with the large slab sides.
I like the LS, my only complaint is it seems to copy the old MB S-class.
I like the IS but wished it came in a coupe.
This my opinion...don't want to ruffle any feathers. No current Lexus looks better than the previous generation. For me, whatever the plans are, things can only get better. Let me end by saying I still love Lexus cars...all of them...they're all attractive but they don't stir the soul.