SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Daizen Antisways

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-04, 12:02 AM
Umbo
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Daizen Antisways

I am new to this site and want to thank you guys for all the useful info. I bought my black SC430 a month ago an have loved it except for the suspension. Cornering felt too squishy and insecure. I decided to go for the easiest mod first and bought a set of Daizen antisway bars online from TM Engineering for $499 + shipping. Lexus of Bellevue, WA installed them for $190. It made a noticable difference. Cornering is much more flat and secure and the steering feels tighter. The ride is slightly stiffer which I also like. Overall the car feels more tossable and fun to drive. Prior to the mod I was contemplating Tein coilovers but I don't think they are necessary for me. This mod is a no brainer. I don't understand why the stock antisways are so soft.
Attached Thumbnails Daizen Antisways-sc-430.jpg  
Old 05-29-04, 08:38 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

congrats on the mod! i don't have the car but i talk to todd at tmengineering a lot, and seems like the sways are doing wonders for the sc430. for the money it's a great mod i think

oh and welcome to clublexus
Old 05-29-04, 10:16 AM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Agreed, the stock SC430 has too much lean under high speed cornering and the the control during quick maneuvering could be a little more tight. That said, an SC has the best balance of handling and power of all Lexus models in stock form, IMO. Even though the driver feel may not be like a true sports car, the car will still hang very well. You just have to get used to the lean that's all.

Lexus is still a more luxury oriented company. If they wanted to trade off some ride comfort for better handling in the SC they would of, but the demographics of the people who buy this car dictated what you got.

You are lucky that the aftermarket does support those of us who want something different out of our cars in the way of performance. You can have your cake and eat it too.

PS, the Tein CS would probably improve both the ride AND handling of your car. Several of us road tested the CS compared to a stock suspension using the GS model and we all felt the ride was better using the CS then the stock and better handling was a no brainer.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 05-29-04 at 10:18 AM.
Old 05-29-04, 10:28 PM
Umbo
Rookie

Default Sways and Runflats

One other observation. Since I put on the antisway bars the harshness and noise of the runflats has become more prominant on rough road surfaces. I'm not going to run out and get new tires until I get a little wear out of them though. Something to look forward to.
Old 05-30-04, 03:00 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts
Default Re: Sways and Runflats

Originally posted by Umbo
One other observation. Since I put on the antisway bars the harshness and noise of the runflats has become more prominant on rough road surfaces. I'm not going to run out and get new tires until I get a little wear out of them though. Something to look forward to.
That's what I was thinking when I first bought my SC430, but I just couldn't resist anymore after 5000 km (3000 miles) and I dumped the runflats when they're still virtually brand new for Michelin Pilot Sports A/S. With the improved handling & ride, I didn't regret it one bit & almost everyone that has done the same I'm aware of wish they had done it earlier rather than later.
Old 06-07-04, 08:42 PM
Umbo
Rookie

I've had a couple of weeks now to evaluate the Daizen antisway bars. Now that I've passed the 1k mi break in I've had a chance to push the car a bit more aggressively. This mod makes a significant difference. You can really push it much more confidently into the turns at high speed. The car feels much sportier. I love with this beast. What a great car.