SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Taking delivery tomorrow!

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-04, 11:35 AM
XZLR8
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Taking delivery tomorrow!

Well, it's official. I will be taking delivery of my Millennium Silver / Black '04 SC430 tomorrow. After some frustrating experiences with German vehicles (don't get me started), I found myself at the Lexus dealership last week to - yet once again - look at the LS430. Try as I might, it's just not what I am looking for (no offense), but I happened to take a spin in the SC while I was there. I've always liked the look of the car, but I was surprised at how much fun it was. Needless to say, I've been talking with the dealer since and will be taking delivery tomorrow evening once the windows are tinted.

I am taking delivery with the stock pie plate rims, but intend to eventually use them for some winter tires instead. I've read some past threads on winter driving and understand that this isn't necessarily a blizzard friendly car. With other vehicles at my disposal, the SC doesn't have to be my primary driver when the snow flies (this is Ohio, so I'm not talking about a ton of snow), but I definitely am not the type to just garage a vehicle for several months out of the year either. They're meant to be driven, after all.

The dealer is checking on pricing and availability on the 18" rims that come on the '04 LS with the sport package. They're a nice looking 5-spoke rim that I think would complement the look of the SC. I'm not much of an after-market guy and larger rims, while attractive, are not always the most practical. I don't imagine anyone else has tried the LS rims that I am talking about? I'd love to see pictures.

Anything I need to know right off the bat?

I look forward to sharing information and posting here occasionally. I'm sure at some point, I'll have more annoying newbie questions as well. Thanks in advance for your patience.

Have a great week.
Old 06-22-04, 12:28 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

congrats man, you going to love it! about the rims, if you are sure they would fit no problem, maybe you can contact steve ganz of carson toyota, he has good prices usually
Old 06-22-04, 03:41 PM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congratulations! You will enjoy and love this car. I also have an `04 SC430 (Millenium Silver/Ecru). Things to do right away include changing out of the run-flats for "standard" tyres. I would highly recommend Michelin Pilot A/Ss. The run-flats give a very hard ride. The other thing you should do very soon is install a clear bra on the front end and side mirrors. The SC430 is a chick and chip magnet!

Please share your impressions and experiences and enjoy your car.
Old 06-22-04, 03:45 PM
martini3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Kudos to ya! Good Choice on your selection at the dealership.

Although, I've always wanted a LS430, I felt the SC430 was more sportier in terms of handling and performance.

check out the Sticky: FAQ on the SC430 near the top of the SC430 Forum and most of your questions/tips/concerns will be answered.

Anything else, I'm sure these SC430 folks will be able to guide you on your way to an enjoyable experience w/ the car.

Definitely change out the pie plated rims.
Off the Bat, Get the "clear bra" paint protection film; this will help you in the long run especially w/ the prevention of rock chips on the front of the car.
Zaino detail system or your favorite wax product that will keep that metallic silver slick.

I've been very happy w/ my '03 Millenium Silver/Black and have done those items mentioned above.
It's got 8500+ miles and I noticed the run flats are getting worn out.
The ride is jarring over certain cracks in the road, but other than that, this thing rides like I'm on cloud 9 every time I step into it.

Pretty much stock for me, although a few folks here have made addtional mods to increase handling, Blitz exhuast, Brembo Brake kit system, 19's or 20's rims, TEIN, EDFC, INJEN cold air intake, and turbochargers.

I just put another coat of Zaino a few days ago which make it a total of 14 coats now; getting ready for the NorCal Beginning of Summer Meet in Northern California this Sat. 6/26.

Sorry if I don't have pics because I've been shopping for a digital camera.

Good Luck and Happy trails in your SC430.

teeman3
'03 SC40
14+ coats of Zaino (and counting)
Old 06-22-04, 05:23 PM
Skulinex
Lexus Test Driver

Congratulations on your purchase, hope you enjoy it~! about the wheels deal, double check with your dealership because I was researching a while ago to do the same but to use them on a GS and if im not mistaken the LS wheels from the sport package are 7.5in wide while the stock ones on your new car are 8in and if I was you, I wouldnt get a narrower wheel than stock

Last edited by Skulinex; 06-22-04 at 05:23 PM.
Old 06-22-04, 07:20 PM
XZLR8
Driver

Originally posted by Skulinex
Congratulations on your purchase, hope you enjoy it~! about the wheels deal, double check with your dealership because I was researching a while ago to do the same but to use them on a GS and if im not mistaken the LS wheels from the sport package are 7.5in wide while the stock ones on your new car are 8in and if I was you, I wouldnt get a narrower wheel than stock
Thanks for the tip. I should find out more tomorrow when I am at the dealership. If those rims won't work, I'm not sure what I am going to do. I definitely want something other than the pie plates....
Old 06-22-04, 11:05 PM
Umbo
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When you start pushing the stock SC430 through corners more aggressively you may notice excessive roll and an insecure sense of handling. Daizen antisways hugely improve this for under $750 and a minimally invasive install. I think that this one mod is key unless you just like mellow cruising.
Old 06-23-04, 12:11 AM
RodF
Pole Position

It doesn't get any better than the day before delivery!
Old 06-23-04, 04:54 AM
XZLR8
Driver

Originally posted by Umbo
When you start pushing the stock SC430 through corners more aggressively you may notice excessive roll and an insecure sense of handling. Daizen antisways hugely improve this for under $750 and a minimally invasive install. I think that this one mod is key unless you just like mellow cruising.
I may definitely look into that, especially given that I am used to driving German. Thanks for the tip.
Old 06-23-04, 06:07 AM
Doc C
Lead Lap

Congrats on your purchase. You won't be sorry!!! I know you've probably seen these already, but you didn't mention them in your posts. If you want a 5 spoke look, look into the conversion kit for the SC wheels. That would be less than the LS wheels and would give you a 5 spoke look that's minimally invasive. HREs or others look better IMO, but you said you didn't want to do the aftermarket thing. You will love your car. It is rock solid and pure luxury. Enjoy.
Old 06-23-04, 06:35 AM
XZLR8
Driver

Originally posted by Doc C
Congrats on your purchase. You won't be sorry!!! I know you've probably seen these already, but you didn't mention them in your posts. If you want a 5 spoke look, look into the conversion kit for the SC wheels. That would be less than the LS wheels and would give you a 5 spoke look that's minimally invasive. HREs or others look better IMO, but you said you didn't want to do the aftermarket thing. You will love your car. It is rock solid and pure luxury. Enjoy.
I have seen the 5-spoke center cap option for the SC. Since I'd be using the standard rims for winter tires, I probably will get a set of the 5-spoke center caps as well. I'm just not sure about the bolts on the center of each spoke aesthetically and the "plastic" look of them, quite honestly.

I would prefer a Lexus rim, but if the LS rims won't work, I'm not opposed to HREs or something of that nature. I haven't even really looked at non-Lexus options. I just know that I don't want chrome and I think I'd prefer to stick with 18s.

Today, I'm just excited about getting the car. I've wanted to call and harass my salesman already this morning, but I am practicing that patience thing that I hear others talk about.
Old 06-23-04, 06:42 AM
XZLR8
Driver

Originally posted by teeman3
check out the Sticky: FAQ on the SC430 near the top of the SC430 Forum and most of your questions/tips/concerns will be answered.
That's a great resource. Many thanks to the person who took the time....
Old 06-23-04, 08:55 AM
lkirchner
Lead Lap

I purchased my wife's SC 430 about 1 1/2 months ago (Midnight Pine, cognac interior) and it was fitted with Toyota Racing Development wheels that are made specifically for the SC. The part number is 00644-42800-325. The reason that I mention this is that every time the car is on the road I or my wife gets thumbs up or compliments on the wheels. Check with your dealer if you wish. They are approximately $2,100 for a set of 4 and as I said they are made specifically for the SC
Old 06-23-04, 09:23 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally posted by lkirchner
I purchased my wife's SC 430 about 1 1/2 months ago (Midnight Pine, cognac interior) and it was fitted with Toyota Racing Development wheels that are made specifically for the SC.
I haven't seen that before, can you post pics if possible ?
Old 06-23-04, 09:30 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally posted by XZLR8
I may definitely look into that, especially given that I am used to driving German. Thanks for the tip.
i believe the daizen sway bars they are 500. install is usually around 150 at most?

Quick Reply: Taking delivery tomorrow!