SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Moving to Boston...sell the SC430?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-04, 12:31 PM
sexylexysc430
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Moving to Boston...sell the SC430?

I'm moving from sunny Southern California to Boston,MA this August...and I really want to have only one car over there because parking can be quite a hassle in the city.

Should I sell the SC and get something more rugged and better equipped for the harsh winters I hear about (e.g. RX/GX, Range Rover, X5)? I really love my SC but some people have been telling me it would be ill equipped for the seasons over there.

Any New England or Massachusets residents out there with any thoughts?

Last edited by sexylexysc430; 06-26-04 at 12:35 PM.
Old 06-26-04, 02:37 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

I moved from NYC to NewEngland 2yrs ago, trust me, you DO NOT want to have a RWD 2seater as your only mode of transport when the winters hit here. We can get 10-15" like its nothing. Boston i'm sure has better plowing, etc, but its still no fun. Maybe time to look at a RX, FX or Cayenne.

Last edited by D2-AUTOSPORT; 06-26-04 at 02:37 PM.
Old 06-26-04, 07:24 PM
nk1983
Lead Lap

yea def. look at the cayenne I think. ( my dream suv). You do NOT want to drive an sc430 in the winter at all trust me. It will not stay on the road and you dont want to take the risk. I knew a guy who was a pretty experienced track driver who slid a sc400 an wrapped it around a pole..def. not a good idea...sory...
Old 06-26-04, 10:29 PM
alfa2600
Driver

for 3 yrs store my SC430 in october, recommission it in April, run a Subaru forester meanwhile. In New York City.
Old 06-27-04, 07:46 AM
1NICESC430
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ditto alfa ... I've had my SC430 since the summer of 2002 and it has never seen a snowflake. I use an Outback for winter driving and when I need to haul something.

I haven't been to Boston for several years, but I did notice that parking there is horrendous. Most people park using sonar - back up until you hear something, pull forward until you hear something, back up until you hear something, pull forward until you hear something, etc. etc. I saw beautiful cars uglified with huge vertical steel bars on their front bumpers to prevent the parking damage.
Old 06-28-04, 01:12 PM
sexylexysc430
Driver

Question

Wow...I didn't know it was so bad over there. Am I correct in assuming that pretty much the only cars on the road in the wintertime in Boston are 4WD SUVs and trucks?

I'm pretty much going to stay in the city, and on the highways just outside the city (<10 mi.) with reserved, covered parking at both my residence and at work. Plus I can use the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season Tires, and the VSC SNOW setting. Do you think I'll still be okay? I'd hate to sell my SC...I love her more than sliced bread.:

Last edited by sexylexysc430; 06-28-04 at 01:14 PM.
Old 06-28-04, 01:33 PM
1NICESC430
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The key to my previous post is "I haven't been to Boston for several years", so I don't know what it's like now. If I had the secure work/residence parking you describe, I'd keep the car, but take municipal transportation or a taxi if I were going to a show/museum/concert/etc. in town where I would have to park in a lot or, Heaven forfend, on the street.

On the other hand, when you love a car and really want to keep driving it, maybe you just have to put up with the slings and arrows .. um ... dents and scratches you get when you live in a crowded city. In the winter, put snows on, keep a very close eye on the weather forecast and if the prediction is for a lot of snow, take the bus to work and leave the driving to Ralph.
Attached Images  
Old 06-28-04, 02:48 PM
pvo
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by sexylexysc430
Wow...I didn't know it was so bad over there. Am I correct in assuming that pretty much the only cars on the road in the wintertime in Boston are 4WD SUVs and trucks?

I'm pretty much going to stay in the city, and on the highways just outside the city (<10 mi.) with reserved, covered parking at both my residence and at work. Plus I can use the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season Tires, and the VSC SNOW setting. Do you think I'll still be okay? I'd hate to sell my SC...I love her more than sliced bread.:
I don't have SC430 and don't know how it is...but I used to have a 1997 SC300 and used the same car all year long for 7 years...I didn't have any problems in the snow. You just have to be extra careful...I used the stock wheels/tires in the winter. I'm in Randolph which is about 10 miles from Boston.
Old 06-28-04, 04:01 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Another alternative may be a winter beater. You can pick up something cheap and reliable with FWD, I have a Ford Taurus and that thing is a montster in the snow. I have yet to ever get stuck in it!

I have a 03 now, but a 00 or so can be picked up for 7k maybe less, just a idea. Good luck
Old 06-28-04, 07:13 PM
JPI Racing
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by DGOT20s
Another alternative may be a winter beater. You can pick up something cheap and reliable with FWD, I have a Ford Taurus and that thing is a montster in the snow. I have yet to ever get stuck in it!

I have a 03 now, but a 00 or so can be picked up for 7k maybe less, just a idea. Good luck
a FORD TAURUS? lol are you going to have 20' on the taurus? I'm glad it's nice in Texas.
JPI
Old 07-02-04, 11:59 PM
sexylexysc430
Driver

Cool

Originally posted by pvo
I don't have SC430 and don't know how it is...but I used to have a 1997 SC300 and used the same car all year long for 7 years...I didn't have any problems in the snow. You just have to be extra careful...I used the stock wheels/tires in the winter. I'm in Randolph which is about 10 miles from Boston.
Whew! Thanks PVO, it's so nice to hear at least one reassuring post. I just refuse to believe that a car as sophisticated as the SC430 (with VSC, traction contriol, and a ECT SNOW setting, heated seats, mirrors, windshield and headlamp washers) would be unable to handle snowy weather. Or perhaps it's the die-hard Californian in me protesting, completely naive to the east coast.

Perhaps it's time to take a winter driving course?
Old 07-03-04, 04:46 AM
pvo
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by sexylexysc430
Whew! Thanks PVO, it's so nice to hear at least one reassuring post. I just refuse to believe that a car as sophisticated as the SC430 (with VSC, traction contriol, and a ECT SNOW setting, heated seats, mirrors, windshield and headlamp washers) would be unable to handle snowy weather. Or perhaps it's the die-hard Californian in me protesting, completely naive to the east coast.

Perhaps it's time to take a winter driving course?
No problem. Others rear wheel cars I used was 98 Toyota Cressida and 2001 IS300. Again you just have to be careful.
Old 07-06-04, 08:47 AM
pjbsc430
10th Gear

I can use the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season Tires, and the VSC SNOW setting. Do you think I'll still be okay?

YES. Ihave driven my SC430 three winters in Boston, but being very selective on where and when. The Brodgestone Potenza's RE040 are a Ultra High Performance summer tire and are terrible in any snow. Changing to the All Season tires will solve your problem with traction in the snow.

Good Luck,
Peter
Old 07-06-04, 08:48 AM
pjbsc430
10th Gear

I can use the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season Tires, and the VSC SNOW setting. Do you think I'll still be okay?

YES. Ihave driven my SC430 three winters in Boston, but being very selective on where and when. The Bridgestone Potenza's RE040 are a Ultra High Performance summer tire and are terrible in any snow. Changing to the All Season tires will solve your problem with traction in the snow.

Good Luck,
Peter
Old 07-09-04, 07:04 AM
ISfrmHoldn
Driver School Candidate

RWD in the NE winters is a blast. I have a IS 5-speed, I swap the 17's for 16's in the winter and have not had a problem, unsure if you can downsize your tires on the SC, I'd take other's advice and go with the X5 or LX470... Welcome to Boston.

Quick Reply: Moving to Boston...sell the SC430?