SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Climate Control Display Easily Scratched

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-04, 04:05 PM
danynijm
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Climate Control Display Easily Scratched

I know not to use abrasive clothes or chemicals to clean to interior especially the radio and climate control displays but for some reason the lense on the display scratches easily.

Do any of you have this issue? The Lexus dealer did replace my previous display because it was scratched but to do so you have to replace the entire control module.

Does anyone know how to get rid of these scrateces? I believe Lexus uses and anti-glare coat and it is that that comes off and causes scratches.
Old 07-25-04, 06:32 PM
fletch
Driver School Candidate

I learned to live without the coating:

When my SC430 was about 6 mos old, I took it to the dealer for its first detailing. They were not careful (or professional) and scratched the anti-glare coating on the climate control. First they denied it, then agreed to "fix" it, which required leaving it at the dealer an extra day. The "fix" was that they simply removed all of the coating with a solvent. They didn't get it all -- there is still a narrow strip of coating around the edges of the display. I argued with them for a few weeks and they refused to do anything else to address the problem. Needless to say, I have never been back to that dealer. (Lots of other reasons, too. Like each time I picked up the car after routine service my stereo was set to some rap/hiphop station and cranked loud.)

But to tell the truth, I haven't really missed the coating. I never have trouble reading the display without it, even in bright sunlight. The only problem I have is the ugly aesthetics due to the ragged perimeter where some coating remains.
Old 07-26-04, 02:08 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally posted by fletch
I learned to live without the coating:

When my SC430 was about 6 mos old, I took it to the dealer for its first detailing. They were not careful (or professional) and scratched the anti-glare coating on the climate control. First they denied it, then agreed to "fix" it, which required leaving it at the dealer an extra day. The "fix" was that they simply removed all of the coating with a solvent. They didn't get it all -- there is still a narrow strip of coating around the edges of the display. I argued with them for a few weeks and they refused to do anything else to address the problem. Needless to say, I have never been back to that dealer. (Lots of other reasons, too. Like each time I picked up the car after routine service my stereo was set to some rap/hiphop station and cranked loud.)

But to tell the truth, I haven't really missed the coating. I never have trouble reading the display without it, even in bright sunlight. The only problem I have is the ugly aesthetics due to the ragged perimeter where some coating remains.
man i am so surprised you havent' called up lexus and complained about the dealership
Old 07-27-04, 10:04 AM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Man, I was wondering how in the world mine got scratched when I haven't even touched it; noticed it the other day without my polarized sun glasses.
No way I want the dealer to replace the whole darn thing, if it's going to get scratched all over again.

Does anybody know what solvent to use? I'd like to COMPLETELY remove it.
Old 07-27-04, 10:22 AM
fletch
Driver School Candidate

I did complain to Lexus. (This happened almost 3 years ago.) They were very friendly and apologetic, but utlimately did not take action to get my complaint resolved. After driving my SC430 for 40k miles, and living in various parts of the country, I've been exposed to a number of Lexus dealerships and Service Depts. In my experience, their Service Departments do good mechanical work, but are lacking in the important details that truly define great customer service. Even at "Elite of Lexus" dealers, I've found attitudes of indifference, failure to wash the car, grease on the steering wheel, being told I'll "just have to learn to live with" the stereo-related door rattle, radio cranked loud by the road tester, etc. But I do like the car itself...
Old 07-29-04, 11:10 AM
anduare
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up

My A/C display had the same problem and I am very careful not to use harsh chemicals when I detail my car. My Dealership replaced the AC Controls for me at no charge. I believe the part is $1,015 not including labor. The replacement part has the same inferior coating. Perhaps Lexus will come out with a better replacement when somebody in accounting realizes the costs involved.
Old 07-31-04, 06:56 PM
PB430
Driver School Candidate

Default Climate Control

Mine didn't scratch as much as get foggy with mild cleaning substances. Now I'm stuck with crap behind the screen after trying to clean the plastic screen off. I sent my dealership an e-mail to see if they'll replace it. We'll see.
Old 08-05-04, 08:01 PM
PB430
Driver School Candidate

Default If you can believe it...

I emailed my dealership 4 days ago about the crappy looking screen and they called me this morning. Even though the screen isn't that bad they told me "but you would never be satisfied". Lexus does not make a replacement plastic screen, so the dealership offered to replace the entire console. List price $1100.

First of all, I cannot believe that Lexus cannot replace just the plastic screen over the climate control. Secondly, I am dumbfounded that the dealership offered to replace the entire console just for the little problem with the screen. Kudos to Flow Lexus in Kernersville NC (near Greensboro). My thoughts of returning to BMW have been obliterated!
Old 08-05-04, 10:52 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Re: If you can believe it...

Originally posted by PB430
I emailed my dealership 4 days ago about the crappy looking screen and they called me this morning. Even though the screen isn't that bad they told me "but you would never be satisfied". Lexus does not make a replacement plastic screen, so the dealership offered to replace the entire console. List price $1100.

First of all, I cannot believe that Lexus cannot replace just the plastic screen over the climate control. Secondly, I am dumbfounded that the dealership offered to replace the entire console just for the little problem with the screen. Kudos to Flow Lexus in Kernersville NC (near Greensboro). My thoughts of returning to BMW have been obliterated!
yeah sometimes it's amazing how good dealerships are on these stuff. for a slight defeat they change the whole thing.

i guess it just has to do with the assembly. sometimes they want to have the whole thing assembled and put together in factory. they dont' want dealership to touch individual parts. if that's the case, that's what happeneing to you