SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Style Question: Chrome Rims with OEM Matte Silver Star Center Caps?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-04 | 11:24 AM
sexylexysc430
Driver

Question Style Question: Chrome Rims with OEM Matte Silver Star Center Caps?

My car came frome the dealer with the rims chromed and the regular (machine finish) pie plate rims. A nice look, I'll admit, non-conventional but still elegant and not too flashy.

So I decided to get the star-center caps when they came out to get a sportier look. I opted with the chrome to match the wheel itself. However, as soon as I finished putting them on, I was shocked by how flashy it made the car look. "Too flashy!" I said to myself. It makes the car look somewhat "ghetto fabulous". I understand that many high-end cars come with silver paint and chrome wheels (e.g. the Silver Belle Neiman Marcus edition SC-430) so maybe it was just the initial shock for me.

My question: Would the regular (OEM) matte silver star spoke center caps work with a chromed wheel? I'd be a little different than the pie plates since the pie plates were never meant to match the outer wheel (matte silver VS. machine finish stainless steel) Or would it be better just to change the whole wheel out to the non-chromed wheel?
Old 08-01-04 | 05:03 PM
Lexy
Rookie

Default Wheels Chrome vs Alloy

Hi, I have the Alloy finish with both the star and the "Pie Plate" Covers. I really like the look of the Star covers.

I would prefer the Chrome wheels. Don't know how to make this happen or if you are interested in a swap. I am in Vancouver, BC.

But to answer your question I would go all Chrome or all Alloy. You could install the Alloy finish cover on a chrome wheel. I don't think it would look that good. Just my opinion.

Cheers

Michael Nielsen
Vancouver, BC

2002 Black SC430, with the Luxlink.
Old 08-01-04 | 07:42 PM
herragge
Pole Position

I would agree with Lexy, either go all alloy or all chrome/polish.

The two different finishes together would look odd and ugly imo.