SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

ecru leather discoloration

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-04 | 08:24 PM
boneweavr
Driver School Candidate

Default ecru leather discoloration

Just wondering if anyone else has had a problem with the ecru seat (on the passenger's side) leather being discolored? My seat under where the back of the thighs and knees hit the seat has a yellowish hue. The dealer felt that someone had used sunblock and this caused the problem. I'm waiting for a quote to have the seat bottom dyed. Detailing couldn't remove the staining.
Old 08-04-04 | 09:07 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

i won't be surprised. it's so white, even if someone who's "not that clean" could get dirt on the seat
Old 08-05-04 | 05:10 AM
1NICESC430
Instructor

I think you have to be extremely careful with those light colors. A friend of mine leased an RX300 with a light-colored interior and thought the seat leather was wearing through because he noticed a discoloration on the seat back. It turns out that there was a transfer of small amounts of dye from his blue trouser belt to his seat.

So you folks with ecru - be careful what you wear!
Old 08-05-04 | 08:45 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Yes, you do have to be very careful with it and clean it regularly & not let dirt accumulate. I also use the leather protection spray I use with my leather jacket so dirt don't stick to them as easily.
Old 08-05-04 | 11:21 AM
JCtx
Racer

Sunblock is nasty on leather, and not only on light colors. If you (or some other driver) have ever sat with some on the back of the legs, that's your answer.
I religiously condition the leather, especially after somebody wearing shorts or a skirt has skin contact with the seats. Even regular cream women wear can wreak havoc on such a light leather.

Keep us posted.
Old 08-05-04 | 11:55 AM
1NICESC430
Instructor

Jeez .. makes me wonder just how disgustingly filthy my black seats are!
Attached Images  
Old 08-05-04 | 04:08 PM
Roofless
Lead Lap
CL Folding 500000

Hey Ed, I sent someone out to your house last week to check your black seats - not good.
Attached Thumbnails ecru leather discoloration-ed.jpg  

Last edited by Roofless; 08-05-04 at 04:12 PM.
Old 08-06-04 | 04:35 AM
1NICESC430
Instructor

EEEYUCK!!!

Looks like blacktop being chewed by some sort of alien life form ... and a very very bad one at that. But you got my attention, R - I'm going to clean and condition my seats.
Old 08-06-04 | 11:45 AM
herragge
Pole Position

Default blue jeans

Yes, I have the same problem as well with the ercu. I mainly wear blue jeans into my SC as our business is mainly focused on that. The blue seems to rub off on the seats, especially darker colored jeans.

What would be a good cleaner to get rid of this? I regularly condition it, but it looks like its there permanently because its not dirt but like a dye that has been rubbed into the leather....it bothers me but I can learn to live with it.
Old 08-06-04 | 04:31 PM
boneweavr
Driver School Candidate

Default dirty stained seat

The dealer couldn't detail it clean so I'm having it dyed next Tues. Qoute= $175- $200.
Old 08-06-04 | 09:01 PM
JCtx
Racer

Hey guys, the clue here is NOT to let the leather dry out. Like on all my vehicles, I saturate the leather the day the car gets home (takes several applications, since leather is usually quite dry from the factory), and keep it conditioned afterwards. I do this every month or two, depending on weather.
I wear dark jeans all the time on my car and my seats are perfect, even though it has been in the 100s for a while now, which means a sweaty a$$ when jumping in the hot car.
Use a leather conditioner with 'cleaners' in it; they clean as they condition. Otherwise you have to use a separate cleaner, which removes the conditioner . I still use the one from 'Griot's Garage', even after it was 'reformulated' (read: diluted). It smells great, and dries clear. And cleans pretty good too. There should be many other premium cleaners just as good, I'm sure.

Finally, I'm very curious how can the leather be 're-dyed' while on the seat. Whoever is doing that, could you please post your results? I was under the impression that couldn't be done. Good to know when somebody else asks me again. There're several ways of treating and coloring leather, but I'm not familiar with them, and neither which kind we have.

Have a great weekend.
Old 08-06-04 | 10:45 PM
herragge
Pole Position

Great info, Thanks! I hope its not too late for my ercu since it is already quite dyed from blue jeans.

What products would you guys recommend that you have had good results in that would help to get rid of the dye in the seats. I know there won't be an instant formula but after time I hope the discoloration will improve. I'm talking about a cleaner and a conditioner.

great post, i'm sure it applies to other sc owners as well
Old 08-07-04 | 06:39 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

It's good that I never like wearing jeans, I prefer lighter materials. I never had any staining on my ecru leather yet.
Old 08-07-04 | 08:22 AM
lkirchner
Lead Lap

Thumbs up

Originally posted by herragge
Great info, Thanks! I hope its not too late for my ercu since it is already quite dyed from blue jeans.

What products would you guys recommend that you have had good results in that would help to get rid of the dye in the seats. I know there won't be an instant formula but after time I hope the discoloration will improve. I'm talking about a cleaner and a conditioner.

great post, i'm sure it applies to other sc owners as well
I am a true supporter of Leatherique, www.leatherique.com. I am not sure that it will get your stain out but I have had success in removing stains using their product. Go to their web site or call them at 877-395-3366. They are very helpful and can give you the advice that you need.

I have tried all products including Lexol, Griots Garage, Meguires, Zaino to name a few and none can compare with L. If you are not successful in removing the stain, they also sell a "dye" that will match perfectly and will cover your stain. Their products are not cheap but you only get what you pay for.

Lou K
Old 08-07-04 | 10:35 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

yes you want to keep the leather conditioned all the time, doing it 1 - 2 months is good. make sure you don't oversaturated them though, meaning too much chemical. that will lead to cracking

Quick Reply: ecru leather discoloration