SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

2005 SC430 Navigation

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-04, 05:19 PM
CDN_Lexus
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 SC430 Navigation

It is official. Just received word that the 2005 Navigation is Generation 4 with Bluetooth capability.
Old 08-23-04, 07:09 PM
Dev
Rookie

*sigh* That's fine. Now I just need to figure out how to retrofit.
Old 08-23-04, 09:49 PM
XZLR8
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, damn. Maybe I should have waited for the '05 after all. Nah!

Since we're talking Bluetooth, maybe one of you guys can answer a Bluetooth question for me. I am new to the whole Bluetooth thing. I have suffered through various Motorola V60s for the last several years because they have been the only phones that I could have with the different BMWs or Audis that I was primarily driving at the moment. With the German contingent cleaned out of my garage, my phone options have expanded and I have just ordered the Motorola V710 w/ Bluetooth, using Verizon as a carrier.

I am considering adding a '05 LS430 Sport as my daily driver this fall, which will be Bluetooth compatible. As long as I have a Bluetooth compatible phone (the V710), is the carrier relevant? I ask because when I look at the Lexus Link website, I don't see Verizon listed as one of the carriers. Does Lexus pick only certain carriers that integrate with their systems, even though it's a Bluetooth system?

Yes, I know this is the SC board, but on the Bluetooth enabled LS system, I assume there's a Caller ID type function & an Address Book on the Nav screen?

Many thanks.
Old 08-23-04, 10:54 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Re: 2005 SC430 Navigation

Originally posted by CDN_Lexus
It is official. Just received word that the 2005 Navigation is Generation 4 with Bluetooth capability.
yeah, even the es300 would have the 4th generation now
Old 08-24-04, 05:25 AM
bt430
Pole Position

Originally posted by XZLR8
Well, damn. Maybe I should have waited for the '05 after all. Nah!

Since we're talking Bluetooth, maybe one of you guys can answer a Bluetooth question for me. I am new to the whole Bluetooth thing. I have suffered through various Motorola V60s for the last several years because they have been the only phones that I could have with the different BMWs or Audis that I was primarily driving at the moment. With the German contingent cleaned out of my garage, my phone options have expanded and I have just ordered the Motorola V710 w/ Bluetooth, using Verizon as a carrier.

I am considering adding a '05 LS430 Sport as my daily driver this fall, which will be Bluetooth compatible. As long as I have a Bluetooth compatible phone (the V710), is the carrier relevant? I ask because when I look at the Lexus Link website, I don't see Verizon listed as one of the carriers. Does Lexus pick only certain carriers that integrate with their systems, even though it's a Bluetooth system?

Yes, I know this is the SC board, but on the Bluetooth enabled LS system, I assume there's a Caller ID type function & an Address Book on the Nav screen?

Many thanks.
I've been looking at the V710 as well but I've read on a few boards that Verizon has crippled the bluetooth configuration and it only works with wireless headsets a few cars. It seems to work with the Acura and another car who’s name escapes me at the moment. I've also read that the crippling only effects the first generation firmware of the phone and in Sept the second generation firmware will be available with a full bluetooth implementation. But who really knows. Verizon has a long storied history of not supporting any of the phones they put out there. I’m using a Samsung i700 now and it’s taken Verizon almost a year to get a working version of PPC 2003 running. This thread on a i700 board might be a good start for you in finding more info http://www.pdaphonehome.com/forums/s...threadid=33728

BT
Old 08-24-04, 07:29 AM
XZLR8
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the information, BT. I have much to learn, apparently. My V60 needed replacing anyway, so I guess I will use the already-ordered V710 in the interim, until I figure out what to do. Maybe by the time I have a sedan parked in my garage, I'll be moderately educated on the Bluetooth situation....

Thanks again.
Old 08-24-04, 09:10 AM
lkirchner
Lead Lap

Angry Re: 2005 SC430 Navigation

I have a 2004 SC and a 2004 LS and will have to say that the SC navigation system is a Hell of a lot more user friendly and intuitive than the one on the LS. Look at the posts on the LS 400/430 board and you will find quite a bit of discussion regarding the nav system and Bluetooth compatibility.
Old 08-24-04, 09:57 AM
tfischer

Received 223 Likes on 164 Posts

I have enjoyed the NAV system in my 2002 SC430, and I'm no expert on Bluetooth, so I am confused about the relationship of the two.

I thought Bluetooth was a wireless linking between two devices, such as a computer and a printer and a cell phone and a wireless headset (which I gather is a very expensive way to eliminate a wire).

What does the NAV system use Bluetooth to communicate with?

Or are we talking about two different things here?
Old 08-24-04, 10:30 AM
CDN_Lexus
Pole Position

The gen. 4 nav system interfaces with a bluetooth cellular phone to allow hands free communication while in your car, as well as one touch speed dial numbers through the nav screen. The gen 4 system can also plot a route via a business telephone number entered into the destination menu. I do agree that the gen 4 system is not as user friendly as the gen 3 system.
Old 08-24-04, 04:34 PM
mikeo
Driver School Candidate

Default Re: 2005 SC430 Navigation

What is your source for this information? do you know of any other changes for 2005?

Thanks
Old 08-24-04, 05:18 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Tfischer, bluetooth compatible cars have integrated speakers and a microphone so you can talk without having to wear a 'handsfree' set. In fact, you're supposed to do whatever you want with your phone craddled in your belt, using the Nav screen as the interface (as previously said), like to answer, to dial, etc.
I still don't know if you need a device connected to the 'headset' jack, or how you tell the phone you want 'remote' operation, rather than flipping it open to answer it.

I'm not a fan of talking on the phone while driving BY ANY MEANS, plus I've never used the Nav in a year of ownership, so I can live with my '04 car just fine. But it's nice to have the capability, especially if the price of the car remains the same. Is the 6-speed tranny going to sneak in as well?

Later.

Last edited by JCtx; 08-24-04 at 05:19 PM.
Old 08-24-04, 10:41 PM
antigeek
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

DISCLAIMER -- this is a collection of some of the tidbits I've learned about BT. It is subject to some minor corrections or clarifications.

Bluetooth is basically carrier-independent, but not necessarily device-independent. As a limited-distance wireless communication protocol, it's been standardized, but it's application has not. Some accessories manufacturers identify their devices as having "hands free" or "headset" profiles, each of which is a different spec, but has an impact on how a cellular phone or master device will interface with it. A headset is hands-free, but most cellular assumptions is that a "hands free" system is a car or desktop application. For example, my BT headset works fine on my cell phone, and it SHOULD work with my USB adapter on my PC as a wireless headset, but it won't. I'm not sure if it's the adapter, the PC, or what.

On the lesser side, there's the security issue. The protocol isn't impossible to hack, but there is some security. However, the voice traffic between devices is NOT. Of course it'd take a geek with the right equipment, but they could listen in on both sides of your conversation (within 33 feet, of course).

Lastly, consider the possible conflicts with BlueTooth. Cell phones will "pair" with a device, but what if you have two of them? For example, you use your BT headset on your way from the offce to the car, what happens when the phone encounters the hands free system in the car? Which device wins out? Will you have to switch over manually, or will you be forced over ore locked out of one of them? The article gave an example similar to this:
Let's say you had an LS430 (something with a reasonable back seat).
If it's equipped with BT, what happens to your passengers' BT-capable (and enabled) phones?
Would they be able to use their headset while your phone was connected to the hands free car unit?

I haven't experienced any of this myself, as I don't have any friends with BT-deviced vehicles, nor many with devices (why else am I the AntiGeek?). But when I have some real-world details, I'll be sure and let you know.

For more geek-based info, I'd start on one of these two:
http://www.bluetooth.com/help/faq.asp
http://www.bluetooth.org/spec/ (has the different profiles listed)

Oh yeah, why "basically carrier-independent"?
It seems that Verizon locked out some BT features in the Motorola V710:
Motorola V710 Bluetoothless!
They do have control over what software is installed on the phones they sell, and BT functionality is definitely controlled by a higher-level software application. If you want more info than you'd ever want on cell phones (including unlocking them, flashing, and flexing (they CAN be upgraded these days)), check out http://www.howardforums.com
http://motorola.howardforums.com is a direct link to MOT stuff -- they have forums for every manufacturer.
Old 08-26-04, 06:18 AM
CDN_Lexus
Pole Position

Default Re: Re: 2005 SC430 Navigation

Originally posted by mikeo
What is your source for this information? do you know of any other changes for 2005?

Thanks
I work @ a Lexus dealership in Canada and I received a memo from Lexus Canada outlining the changes for 2005 for each model. No other changes, besides packages for Canada, and the Limited Pebble Beach Edition.

Last edited by CDN_Lexus; 08-26-04 at 06:20 AM.
Old 09-02-04, 12:16 AM
DevilDog
Lead Lap

To find out what Bluetooth phones will mate to Lexus vehicles, go to this website.

http://lexus.letstalk.com

If the phone is not on the list, Lexus says your on your own.
Old 09-08-04, 05:47 PM
mikeo
Driver School Candidate

Default No Upgrades in 2005

Every dealer I have talked to thus far has said that there are none of the anticipated upgrades in the 2005 model. No Gen 4 Nav, Bluetooth or improved suspension. Near as I can tell it is just $300 more. seems I waited for nothing.

Quick Reply: 2005 SC430 Navigation