SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Low Beams Too Low?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-04, 09:15 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Low Beams Too Low?!?!

Hi gang. I hardly ever ride it at night to begin with, but I've noticed my low beams are waaaaay too low, and want to fix that. I'm tired of waiting for the service manual to be available for my '04; hence this thread.
Both beams are perfeclty aligned with one another and straight, but just too low. High beam is equally disappointing, by the way. And to make matters worse, NO BUBBLE LEVEL on this car; what's up with that Lexus? Geez.

As a comment, I've had to adjust headlight aim on ALL my vehicles since I can remember, but this is the worst offender. With no manual, I'm asking for your help to make things easier, before I try myself. And no, I won't take the car to the dealer (I've tried that before, okay? . I want it done right). Plus I like these little 'challenges' anyway.

My questions are:

-Do any of you feel the same way?

-How did you adjust it (if applicable)? Detailed instructions please.

I want to comment there's an unorthodox method to adjust the beams: thru the 'auto leveling' arm. By just extending the arm on the rheostat switch (like if raising the car from the back), both beams would raise identically. Just like putting weight would lower them. This little bugger is on the left arm of the rear suspension, and it's a simple rheostat switch hooked to an arm that moves with the suspension. Only problem is this might require many trips down the car (and equal number of ignition cycles) until adjustment is right. Most of the rich guys here won't give a darn, but I know there're some poor tinkerers like me here.

All comments welcome. Later guys.
Old 08-27-04, 05:21 AM
nineback
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you looked at page 363 of the owners manual?

I noticed that mine appear to be aimed low also. Noticed the same thing on my 330. I assumed it was the nature of the HID lights. The thing I really notice is how well defined the beam is. On low beams I can see an almost a perfectly straight line on the pavement where the beam ends. One foot inside the beam there is light. One foot outside the reach of the beam there is no light. In other words there apprears to be no transition zone from having light to no light. Man this is hard to expalin.
Old 08-27-04, 05:32 AM
bt430
Pole Position

I've got an '04 and the lowbeams are auto leveling. There is an adjustable link that attaches to the lower ball joint arm that controls the leveling action. It might be possible that this could be the source of your issue

BT
Old 08-27-04, 07:43 AM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Bt430, the leveling maintains whatever 'base' setting you have; I need to change that setting. And as I suspect, this should be achievable by raising the leveling arm slightly (threaded rod secured by a locknut).

Nineback, will check that. When I read the manual back to back, I only remember it said to take car to dealer for aim. It's nothing I can't figure out myself anyway man. I'll get to this over the weekend. And yes, I might tinker with the auto-leveling arm first
Old 08-29-04, 11:54 AM
bt430
Pole Position

Well now that you've got me looking....
My lights appear too low too, did you figure it out?
BT