SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

How do you turn the reverb off???

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-04, 02:11 PM
MJB
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How do you turn the reverb off???

I finally bit the bullet and replaced the faulty original Japanese audio unit in my imported SC430 with a UK-spec Lexus model.

All seems wonderfull but I cannot for the life of me work out how to turn off the silly reverb effect on the FM radio.

Any suggestions??

(In case you're wondering, yes I will ask the workshop that fitted it, but they've all gone home for the long weekend!)

Thanks for any help,

Martin
Old 08-28-04, 07:30 AM
tfischer

Received 220 Likes on 163 Posts

I don't think I have a silly reverb effect on my FM radio, and I have been playing around with it since I bought the car in April of 2001. I don't think I even have a regular reverb effect.

The standard radio does implement a significant equalization change when the top is raised/lowered, but other than the usual bass/treble/left/right etc controls, the equalizer controls cannot be controlled by the user.

Maybe the UK spec audio unit is different from the US spec audio unit, but I have never heard of that before, other than perhaps changing the broadcast frequencies, which I think are different.

Also, if there is a reverb effect available, I doubt it would be applied to only the FM radio. Why not make it available for CDs as well? Maybe the antennae are out of sync.

Try changing stations.
Old 08-28-04, 10:15 AM
MJB
Rookie

Thanks for the reply.

The reverb effect is in fact being applied to all sound sources: FM and AM radio and CD.

The original Japanese audio unit in my car had a function which allowed you to select from 5 different reverb effects (though why anyone would want to beats me!).

I have spent about 3 hours today trying to find a way of accessing (i.e. turning off) the function on the new unit and it still beats me.

I even managed to find someone at Lexus on the phone today who was unable to help.

I am starting to worry now that some element of the original unit's 'back end' is contributing this reverb effect, but that the UK 'front end' can't control it.

Oh well, back to the dealer on Tuesday I guess...

Thanks,

Martin

Last edited by MJB; 08-28-04 at 10:45 AM.
Old 09-03-04, 02:04 AM
MJB
Rookie

Default Sorted...

Not that anyone's interested in this but....

It trasnpires that before removing the faulty Japanese 'front end' of the audio system, the engineer had accidentally switched on the reverb effect which only the Japanese system seems to have.

When he fitted the new UK-spec front end, the inner workings of the system still had a reverb switched on, but with no capability from the new front end to switch it off.

So.... the engineer had to re-fit the Japanese unit, turn the reverb off, then re-fit the English unit again.

All is working perfectly and at last I can use all the functions of the FM and AM radio to perfection!

Few. Just as well, considering the whole exercise has cost me well in excess of £1000 !!!!

Thanks,

Martin