SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

xm or sirius radio install...

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-04, 07:44 AM
silv-SC
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default xm or sirius radio install...

Anyone tried this on a 430? Where are the normal antenna placements with this.

Thanks in advance for any help.....This forum is a great help for mod rookies like myself...
Old 09-24-04, 01:48 PM
bt430
Pole Position

I checked it out with a pretty good installer the other day and he gave me a few options. The antenna can be mounted on the dash it might not be the optimum position but certainly the most unobtrusive. The next option was mounted up above the windshield on the passenger side which I really didn’t like. The last one I thought might be interesting was right in the middle of the tail. Considering the shape of the antenna it might be OK and it would provide great reception. As far as receivers went they were selling the XM commander and the Blaupunkt Sirius unit. The Blaupunkt unit was a bit larger and he didn’t think he could get it in the ashtray. The XM commander would fit. I’m going to check around a bit more as I don’t want my choice of services dictated by what fits in the car so maybe there’s a smaller Sirius receiver out there. The receivers usually connect to your audio system by transmitting on an unused FM frequency. I’d like it a bit better if I could connect directly to the audio system and I’m looking at the possibility of installing some switchable aux audio inputs.

BT
Old 09-26-04, 07:18 AM
Doc C
Lead Lap

I put the kenwood FM modulated setup in mine. It's not the Here2 anywhere one but the other smaller Kenwood, It fit perfectly in the ashtray and was covered by the wood ashtray door when not in use. Mounted antenna on the dash. It worked fine. Never any cutouts except for under bridges etc. but that happens to most everyone. It was completely reversible too. They had to remove my cigarette lighter out of the ashtray, but I had them put one over on the passenger side tunnel area. That way I could still charge cell phone, use V1 etc. Just my $.02.
Old 09-26-04, 08:45 AM
silv-SC
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the opinions guys...I am going to check out these options today.

More input is welcome.....
Old 09-28-04, 03:20 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

If you don't want to do something permanent I have a recommendation...

I had a Delphi Sky-Fi that plugged into two places... the cassette player and the power outlet. I kept it in the console plugged in the console power outlet. It had a relatively small antenna that I mounted on the driver's side rear fender. The wire to the antenna ran from the radio under the rear seat (you can lift it up and tuck the wire underneath), into the trunk and out to the fender. You have to leave enough slack for the trunk/roof operation, but it's all inside the trunk so it doesn't show.

There was actually only one wire that was visible inside the car... the one from the radio to the cassette player. The antenna was pretty innocuous, and the sound was great. I traded the car for one with built-in XM radio, so I bought the home adapter and now listen to it through my home sound system.

Really depends on whether you plan on keeping the car long term or you want to let a stereo shop mess with the M-L system. If not, portable is the way to go.

Hope this helps.