Saw an '05 PB at the dealership...

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-04, 03:31 PM
fireballs gs400
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default man

i think that car is hot, even the red carpet

Last edited by fireballs gs400; 10-18-04 at 03:31 PM.
Old 10-19-04, 10:07 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally posted by MarsB007
Ok, here's the deal. Both are great cars -- with slight differences. First, these are my complaints about each one... then what I like about them.

Complaints
SC430
1. Bubbly looking trunk/back
2. Stupid adjustable antenna which goes up and down to maximize signal. While great in theory, it's
annoying as hell if you channel surf.
3. No auto wipers
4. Engine is hesitant to downshift
5. Seats could have more lateral support
6. The "I AGREE" button on the nav unit completely sucks (The MB doesn't have it)
7. You can't program anything while moving, rendering the system useless for your passengers to
help you find your way
8. Trunk is limited with the top stowed
9. No Sat Radio option

SL500
1. Price
2. Price
3. Pretty rough ride
4. The controls are completely retarded (For example... if you have the odometer screen up, you'll no longer be able to change radio stations from the steering controls - they use pages... and the buttons control what is "currently" on that page. Needless scrolling through options which you set once and never bother with again.)
5. Things break alot more easily than with the Lexus. (Already had to change a hinge for the top, an armrest which started to discolor, and a shift ****, which started to come apart. Mechanically, the car started having problems with the "START" button.)
6. Way worse mileage/gallon than the Lexus
7. Seats are stiff
8. The phone option(s) suck. The phone is outdated... please use Bluetooth next time. That being said... Lexus did the same, BUT, they have recently switched to Bluetooth.

Things Which I Like
SC
1. Great value (Costs approx. $40K less than MB)
2. Interior is much better (From the quality of materials, to their layout, to ease of use)
3. Nicely appointed storage shelf (aka back seats) - although I have fit a human being back there - across the seats, with their feet up on the seat (on a towel of course which stays in the trunk)).
4. Much smoother than the MB. Taking off and Braking is much smoother. The MB seems jerky compared to the Lexus. Additionally, the Lexus feels considerably "slower" than the MB, although if you look at stats, this is not the case. This, in my opinion, is due to the fact that the Lexus tries to isolate you from the road, as opposed to the MB, where the road is there with you.
5. See 4 - I like being isolated from the road. All the reviews I have read consider that a "flaw". After a busy day, I want to go through the damn traffic without being reminded of how much the commute really sucks. Isolation=Good in my book.
6. Radio is excellent (DVD addon seemed like a good idea, but I spent over $1000 to be able to watch movies on the nav screen, yet I have only used it once on a long trip - in hindsight it was a waste of money.)
7. Brakes are excellent
8. My dealer offered "Free Tires for Life" - as long as I own the car of course. From what I understand - the runflats are expensive to replace otherwise.

SL500
1. Looks/Design - more streamlined (I Like the way the car looks on the exterior more than the Lexus - however, is it worth the price difference? NO)
2. More of a Status Symbol than the Lexus (but then again, it could be a **** on a stick - just the pure fact that it's 106K makes it desirable - and says nothing about the car)
3. Paint/Interior combos are extensively longer than the list for the Lexus (I would have loved to have a Black/Grey color combo)
4. The top tilts in the trunk, and storage is considerably more with the top stowed than with the Lexus.
5. Feels sportier (for those which like that)
6. Top stows much quicker than Lexus
7. The tire pressure system actually displays the tire pressure (what a concept right?)
8. you have a higher choice of options (like massaging seats, air-cooled) - I'm in Florida... that's a HUGE option for me.

Hope this helped!
'

Wow thats a great and long review. My mom is thinking about buying one of the two, and wanted to know your opinion. I hope that they update the SC430 a little bit next year so it can be more competitive on the tech. side. Thanks for the review, quite interesting.
Old 10-19-04, 02:51 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

I looooove the black color on this PB car. The best way to describe is "Black Mica". I wish they'd offer it as a regular color along with those smoked headlights. HOT.
Old 10-23-04, 01:50 PM
ponytail 4
Driver

I agree
Old 10-27-04, 11:20 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Hmmm... I must be getting old- I actually liked the black on red combo. Perhaps I liked it because it was so different- and so AGGRESSIVE from a traditionally conservative company like Lexus. Would I buy it? Not sure...

Anyway, I was so intrigued I took these at the Lexus dealer last week. Did you notice the headlights?

Interior

Headlight
Old 10-28-04, 01:19 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

MarsB007, thanks for the extremely well written review, my wife is gonna love it. she likes both the sl500 and the sc430. granded the obvious 40k diff between the two cars, you made a very good comparison betweens the two cars on almost all aspect, that's good! i guess from the look my wife would choose the sl500 any day, but with all the problems you mentioned there, i am not sure how much she is going to love the car anymore

well that's good news to me, that means i can save up another 40k
Old 10-28-04, 10:24 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally posted by rominl
MarsB007, thanks for the extremely well written review, my wife is gonna love it. she likes both the sl500 and the sc430. granded the obvious 40k diff between the two cars, you made a very good comparison betweens the two cars on almost all aspect, that's good! i guess from the look my wife would choose the sl500 any day, but with all the problems you mentioned there, i am not sure how much she is going to love the car anymore

well that's good news to me, that means i can save up another 40k
OK , so get her one already & we can expect one of the most hooked up SC430 here
Old 10-28-04, 02:22 PM
MarsB007
Driver

Glad I could help... in my opinion, if you have an unlimited budget, you might as well go for the SL500. However, if you're willing to do without certain options and the status symbol (not to say that driving a Lexus is terrible), you can save yourself $40,000. Therefore, take your significant other on a great vacation, invest the rest of the money, and drive your new SC430 knowing that it's the best value out there.
Old 10-28-04, 02:29 PM
MarsB007
Driver

Sorry, I almost forgot...

If you're planning on leasing... you're paying about $57,000 for the SL over 3 years, and roughly $30,000 for the SC. Therefore, the difference is not per se $40K, but is instead $27K... a very nice chunk of change either way.

The way it worked out with us, my SC is roughly 1/2 the monthly payment of the SL. If you consider that you can buy essentially 2 SCs for the price you're pissing down the drain with the SL, it might change your opinion about the car...
Old 10-29-04, 12:36 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by SexySC
OK , so get her one already & we can expect one of the most hooked up SC430 here
haha no way man, if i were to get the sc430 i will never put FI, maybe just normal engine stuff. so no way my car would be among the top

but hey, the first thing is for her to make a choice, not me
Old 10-29-04, 12:37 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by MarsB007
Sorry, I almost forgot...

If you're planning on leasing... you're paying about $57,000 for the SL over 3 years, and roughly $30,000 for the SC. Therefore, the difference is not per se $40K, but is instead $27K... a very nice chunk of change either way.

The way it worked out with us, my SC is roughly 1/2 the monthly payment of the SL. If you consider that you can buy essentially 2 SCs for the price you're pissing down the drain with the SL, it might change your opinion about the car...
haha this is funny man, it's amazing how much you can play with numbers and get all the different results huh? either way, for sure i don't have endless amount of money behind me, so money is definitely an issue. with that and the fact that we probably want a car to keep, maybe the sc430 is a better option. i guess the best is to go out and just drive both cars. my biggest problem is that when i am at the mb dealership, they literally insult me by questioning whether i can afford any mb or not, coz' i am only 26 (and yes, i already drive into the lot in my gs4...)
Old 10-29-04, 05:40 PM
bt430
Pole Position

Originally posted by rominl
haha this is funny man, it's amazing how much you can play with numbers and get all the different results huh? either way, for sure i don't have endless amount of money behind me, so money is definitely an issue. with that and the fact that we probably want a car to keep, maybe the sc430 is a better option. i guess the best is to go out and just drive both cars. my biggest problem is that when i am at the mb dealership, they literally insult me by questioning whether i can afford any mb or not, coz' i am only 26 (and yes, i already drive into the lot in my gs4...)
Roll up to another dealer bro. I had a BMW salesman pull that on me. I went in on a Saturday looking to drive some cars. He told me "Saturday's are sales days," Pretty sweet blow off huh?. I made it a point to go back the next Saturday to show him the M5 I bought from another dealer.

BT
Old 11-01-04, 09:56 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by bt430
Roll up to another dealer bro. I had a BMW salesman pull that on me. I went in on a Saturday looking to drive some cars. He told me "Saturday's are sales days," Pretty sweet blow off huh?. I made it a point to go back the next Saturday to show him the M5 I bought from another dealer.

BT
haha so i need to get the sl500 and go back to the mb dealer then huh? anyone remember the scene from pretty woman?

anyway, getting OT. but yes, i definitely need to bring my wife and test out those cars one way or the other. bottom line, i think it's pretty retarded if i were to get a car that i can't test drive