SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Saw an '05 PB at the dealership...

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-04, 09:03 PM
XZLR8
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Saw an '05 PB at the dealership...

... tonight for the first time. I liked the subtle exterior differences very much (blackened headlight surround, rim centercaps, etc.). The Diamond Black paint is gorgeous. Very nice looking overall. But man, that red interior is bright and there is just a LOT of it. It was wayyy too much for my taste. The pictures do not lie.

Anyway....
Old 10-02-04, 02:11 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 224 Likes on 152 Posts
Default Re: Saw an '05 PB at the dealership...

Originally posted by XZLR8
... tonight for the first time. I liked the subtle exterior differences very much (blackened headlight surround, rim centercaps, etc.). The Diamond Black paint is gorgeous. Very nice looking overall. But man, that red interior is bright and there is just a LOT of it. It was wayyy too much for my taste. The pictures do not lie.
I just saw one this morning at the new Lexus dealer that just opens today nearby. Love the black paint, but the red interior is , it'll look better if they make it 2-tone red & black IMO.
Old 10-03-04, 09:26 AM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

I agree. Just red seats and door inserts (the rest black) looks very classy, like my ex-BMW convertible.

The new PB even has a red carpet; YIKES! Looks like a pimpmobile. I like the body-color headlight surround, a la Ferrari. Good day.
Old 10-03-04, 05:49 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Everything looks great about the 05 Pebble Beach edition other than 1) The red trim/carpeting 2) The cheesy looking headlight accents.
Old 10-07-04, 10:15 PM
jsl757
Lead Lap

Theres a pebble beach sc on ebay right now. Wow thats a whole lot of red... I like the headlights and the wood grain but that doesn't make up for the liberal use of rojo.

Jeff

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2492549946
Old 10-08-04, 06:35 AM
El Jefe
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PB red

That's just heinous.
Old 10-08-04, 09:27 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Damn am I the only one that doesnt mind the red interior. I like the color combo. The black exterior and 2 toned black and red to me have a more expensive, exclusive look to me. I would rock it.
Old 10-08-04, 12:42 PM
MarsB007
Driver

That has to be the worst pimp-mobile I have ever seen... I'm ashamed my car is related to that!!

Come on people... red interior? Where are the fuzzy dice?

I can see some potential though... have red inserts in black seats... therefore minimizing the red... even better, have a deep blue insert. Keep the rest the same, and I would buy it... but the all red interior HAS TO GO...

ohh yeah, get the same color wheel inserts for god's sake... have them be the same color as the wheels... the way they have it is hideous.

Last edited by MarsB007; 10-08-04 at 12:45 PM.
Old 10-08-04, 04:24 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Off topic, but Mars which one do you like better. Your SC430 or your SL500? And Why?

I guess I am still the only one that doesnt mind it. I mean yeah the red is a lot, but I think its different. Dont M3 and other BMW's have bright red as an interior color? Maybe it doesnt look good to some because the car isnt really a sporty car. I dunno. Like I said, I wouldnt mind rockin it.

Black inserts or piping would be great. But I guarantee that this car will sell out very quickly.
Old 10-08-04, 09:47 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Magneto, I had a BMW with red interior, but first of all, it was a more subdued red than the SC. Second of all, ONLY THE SEATS AND DOOR INSERTS (approx the size of our SCs) were red; the rest of the door and the rest of the car was BLACK (center console, carpet, dash, mats, steering wheel, headliner, sunvisors, etc). It also had real wood inserts in the dash and doors, like most cars (only included in the luxury package, however, just like leather seats -red option only came in leather). I've never been a fan of BMW interiors myself, but that exact application of red on the SC would have looked world class on the PB IMO. It's a luxury car, for crying out loud.
Good weekend gentlemen.
Old 10-09-04, 07:47 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 224 Likes on 152 Posts

It would look much better if the interior color scheme looks similar to this Vanquish S :

Old 10-10-04, 07:41 AM
XZLR8
Driver

Originally posted by SexySC
It would look much better if the interior color scheme looks similar to this Vanquish S
Now THAT is the way to do a red interior.

Last edited by XZLR8; 10-10-04 at 07:43 AM.
Old 10-13-04, 06:36 PM
MarsB007
Driver

Originally posted by magneto112
Off topic, but Mars which one do you like better. Your SC430 or your SL500? And Why?
Ok, here's the deal. Both are great cars -- with slight differences. First, these are my complaints about each one... then what I like about them.

Complaints
SC430
1. Bubbly looking trunk/back
2. Stupid adjustable antenna which goes up and down to maximize signal. While great in theory, it's
annoying as hell if you channel surf.
3. No auto wipers
4. Engine is hesitant to downshift
5. Seats could have more lateral support
6. The "I AGREE" button on the nav unit completely sucks (The MB doesn't have it)
7. You can't program anything while moving, rendering the system useless for your passengers to
help you find your way
8. Trunk is limited with the top stowed
9. No Sat Radio option

SL500
1. Price
2. Price
3. Pretty rough ride
4. The controls are completely retarded (For example... if you have the odometer screen up, you'll no longer be able to change radio stations from the steering controls - they use pages... and the buttons control what is "currently" on that page. Needless scrolling through options which you set once and never bother with again.)
5. Things break alot more easily than with the Lexus. (Already had to change a hinge for the top, an armrest which started to discolor, and a shift ****, which started to come apart. Mechanically, the car started having problems with the "START" button.)
6. Way worse mileage/gallon than the Lexus
7. Seats are stiff
8. The phone option(s) suck. The phone is outdated... please use Bluetooth next time. That being said... Lexus did the same, BUT, they have recently switched to Bluetooth.

Things Which I Like
SC
1. Great value (Costs approx. $40K less than MB)
2. Interior is much better (From the quality of materials, to their layout, to ease of use)
3. Nicely appointed storage shelf (aka back seats) - although I have fit a human being back there - across the seats, with their feet up on the seat (on a towel of course which stays in the trunk)).
4. Much smoother than the MB. Taking off and Braking is much smoother. The MB seems jerky compared to the Lexus. Additionally, the Lexus feels considerably "slower" than the MB, although if you look at stats, this is not the case. This, in my opinion, is due to the fact that the Lexus tries to isolate you from the road, as opposed to the MB, where the road is there with you.
5. See 4 - I like being isolated from the road. All the reviews I have read consider that a "flaw". After a busy day, I want to go through the damn traffic without being reminded of how much the commute really sucks. Isolation=Good in my book.
6. Radio is excellent (DVD addon seemed like a good idea, but I spent over $1000 to be able to watch movies on the nav screen, yet I have only used it once on a long trip - in hindsight it was a waste of money.)
7. Brakes are excellent
8. My dealer offered "Free Tires for Life" - as long as I own the car of course. From what I understand - the runflats are expensive to replace otherwise.

SL500
1. Looks/Design - more streamlined (I Like the way the car looks on the exterior more than the Lexus - however, is it worth the price difference? NO)
2. More of a Status Symbol than the Lexus (but then again, it could be a **** on a stick - just the pure fact that it's 106K makes it desirable - and says nothing about the car)
3. Paint/Interior combos are extensively longer than the list for the Lexus (I would have loved to have a Black/Grey color combo)
4. The top tilts in the trunk, and storage is considerably more with the top stowed than with the Lexus.
5. Feels sportier (for those which like that)
6. Top stows much quicker than Lexus
7. The tire pressure system actually displays the tire pressure (what a concept right?)
8. you have a higher choice of options (like massaging seats, air-cooled) - I'm in Florida... that's a HUGE option for me.

Hope this helped!
Old 10-15-04, 04:31 PM
lkirchner
Lead Lap

Question Re: Saw an '05 PB at the dealership...

Originally posted by XZLR8

Anyway....
Just got back from the dealer and saw the new PB edition. The red interior will grow on you--- I think. The carpets should have been black and that would probably subdue it some. The wheels are terrible. They look like the original centers fell off and they replaced them with new ones but did not bother to have them chrome plated---tacky. As for the paint awesome--- just enough metallic to break up the black and will not show every little mark. Black owners don't get angry. I have a black LS that is a pain in a** but beautiful after a good detail by myself. My SC is midnight pine that is equally as dark but with the metallic in the paint it is much more forgiving.
Old 10-16-04, 02:27 PM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just left my Lexus dealership where I had been negotiating a deal to purchase an `04 GX470 for my wife. One of the service guys there that I know saw me and took me to see a PB that was on the lot. First, let me say that I am not a black car person - nothing negative, black is beautiful; black cars are just not my style. Anyway, back to the point, I saw the PB; the blacked-out headlights are all of that and then some, but the red on red on black interior is a bit too dramatic for me. A black carpet (to match with the black wood) would have been the perfect accent to the red leather (which I love).

Quick Reply: Saw an '05 PB at the dealership...