SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Stationary SPINNING Wheels for SC 430 (Davin???)

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-04, 06:10 PM
PBEchicago
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stationary SPINNING Wheels for SC 430 (Davin???)

I am a novice concerning after-market wheels. I am the happy owner of a 2004 Azure Blue Metallic "Pebble Beach Edition" (PBE). The factory wheels match the Sky Blue Metallic color of the PBE.

I have noticed the SPINNING wheels (manufactured by Davin???) on some high-end luxury autos. Invariably, the rides have an African-American driver. Are these spinning wheels essentially "a black thing"? (Not that there's anything wrong with that) I understand that these wheels were popularized by the NBA basketball player, Latrell Sprewell.

Do many regard these wheels as kind of "tacky", albeit expensive, for my beautiful sky blue PBE?

If price was no object, what specific brand, model, finish and type of wheels would you put on my PBE? Any major theft problems with your choice? Unused, the PBE is parked in a secure garage.

I opted for the standard 18 inch (NOT run-flats) tires--Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires. Unlike the bumpy "run-flats", they provide a serene ride. If I understand correctly, larger size tires/wheels could have an adverse affect on the seamlessly smooth ride. If true, I'll keep the wheels at the standard 18 inches.

Any tips, guys?
Old 11-04-04, 07:31 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default spinners

I agree that most of the people I see with spinners are Black. However, I was surprised to see a white guy with them on his SUV a couple of days ago. Also, if you look at Plush Magazine, you'll see several people of different races with spinners on their vehicle. I guess that means it's an "anybody can do it thing."

In my opinion, spinners do not belong on a nice car like a Lexus. I can accept them on trucks and the older whips like Caprice, Impala, etc. that are modded. Not a Lexus. It seems sacriligious....wrong....bad. I saw a guy with spinners on an S-class and I couldn't resist telling him how tacky it looked. I know that was wrong to do but it just looked so horrible. But this is just my opinion. In the end, do what you like. It's your car. I just don't think it's right. If you do it, at least you're considering the best. Davin puts out the best spinners I've seen. They actually spin!

There are several nice wheels to choose from. HRE, Maya, iForged, Lowenhart, Work, Symbolic, Asanti, Makavelli, Avus, all of these are high end wheels that would set that car off. As for size, I have 19's and have no more harshness than the 18's I had before. Just make sure you get a quality tire to go with the wheels, like Michelin and you'll be okay with the comfort side of it.

Last edited by Ice350; 11-04-04 at 07:36 PM.
Old 11-04-04, 07:48 PM
Umbo
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The spinning rims are a bit juvenile but I do find them humorous. If you put them on an SC you will get alot of attention but probably not the kind that you want.
Old 11-04-04, 08:18 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

imho.... i will never touch spinners. dunno, they just look stupid to me for some resaon, plus what's a good brand that makes spinners?
Old 11-04-04, 08:32 PM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Stationary SPINNING Wheels for SC 430 (Davin???)

Originally posted by PBEchicago

Are these spinning wheels essentially "a black thing"? (Not that there's anything wrong with that)

classic.........
Old 11-04-04, 08:38 PM
martini3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

spinners on an exquisite PBE is a NO NO!

Please wake up and smell the "coffee".

I have nothing against spinners, but for the type of car that you have, this destroys the overall look of the SC430.

Reggiek suggested other high-end wheels for the Lexus. Any of those will definitely give the SC PBE a better, sleek, stylish, sophisticated and dynamic look.

I have an '03 Millenium Silver w/ chrome TRD rims. I've received many compliments from others regarding the rims and most haven't heard of TRD before. I chose these rims because it was offered from the dealership at the time of purchase w/ the car; and I got a great deal from them.

So far, I have not seen any SC430's w/ spinners. Hopefully, I never will....

Please take your fellow CL members' advice into consideration. I know I have...
Good Luck.

Teeman3
'03 Milli Silver
stock w/ TRD wheels
Xpel
30 coats of Zaino (you can see your relfection; it's mirror-like)
Old 11-04-04, 09:17 PM
PBEchicago
Driver

Thanks for your kind tips, guys. I now feel like an imbecile (I'll get over it in an hour or two). RESOLVED: I will NOT get any spinners for my PBE. Again, thanks for your understanding.
Old 11-05-04, 03:13 AM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: Stationary SPINNING Wheels for SC 430 (Davin???)

Originally posted by PBEchicago
I am a novice concerning after-market wheels. I am the happy owner of a 2004 Azure Blue Metallic "Pebble Beach Edition" (PBE). The factory wheels match the Sky Blue Metallic color of the PBE.

I have noticed the SPINNING wheels (manufactured by Davin???) on some high-end luxury autos. Invariably, the rides have an African-American driver. Are these spinning wheels essentially "a black thing"? (Not that there's anything wrong with that)

Any tips, guys?
That's too funny! Please don't believe the hype! There is no such thing as an ethnic-specific car or car accessory. Perhaps it's understandable for that assumption because of "MTV-type" programs - music videos, "Pimp My Ride", "Cribs", etc. [Almost similar to the incredibly false assumption that Blacks and Latinos are more likely than other ethnic groups to be engaged in illegal activities. Again, due to television programs.]

Personally, I wouldn't mess with the wheels on the `04 PBE, since the matching wheels are one of the distinguishing features of that car.
Old 11-05-04, 04:13 AM
j three
Lexus Test Driver

Default Theft issues?

PBE it is a good idea that you didn't decide to get spinners if theft concerns you because those are some of the most sought after wheels there are. Being that I live in so-cal I have heard of extreme cases where people have been killed for the spinners. Last year a young man that had a gs 300 w/ spinners was gunned down during a car jacking . It's a shame what some people will do to get someone elses stuff .
Old 11-07-04, 11:22 PM
LexFather

Default Re: Re: Stationary SPINNING Wheels for SC 430 (Davin???)

Originally posted by DrRick
classic.........
I was thinking the same thing Doc. Don't get me started.....Looks like I got to start taking pics of ALL the ethnic groups that ride spinners. I guess some of you would be surprised. lol

Quick lessen.
Davin Spinners, IMO, the original designs were pretty good looking. The newer ones do look like trash.
Now we have Spinner knock-offs left and right. These are companies that sell everything.
We now have "add a spinner" where you can add it to your existing rim.
Finally we have the popular spinner hubcaps, no joke, that can be found at Wal-Mart, Pep-Boys etc in 13-15" plastic chrome sizes.

If u just dropped 60k+ on a SC 430 PB, some HREs, I-forged or other high-end compnay would look great.
Attached Thumbnails Stationary SPINNING Wheels for SC 430 (Davin???)-lexus0444.jpg  
Old 11-08-04, 06:01 AM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Default To 1SICKLEX

1Sicklex - Yours is one of the best looking SC430s I've seen! A gorgeous car!
Old 11-08-04, 06:42 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 218 Likes on 146 Posts

I agree with the above posts, no spinners on classy cars
Old 11-08-04, 08:53 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Re: Re: To 1SICKLEX

Originally posted by genearch
Just an FYI..

That's not Sick's car. That particular car was owned by Peter Lee at Wheel Experts. The wheels, springs and bodykit have been removed, sold and the car is no longer owned by Peter.
but the wheels are still owned by one of the members here
Old 11-09-04, 11:34 AM
LexFather

Default Re: To 1SICKLEX

Originally posted by LeslieRC
1Sicklex - Yours is one of the best looking SC430s I've seen! A gorgeous car!
What Genearch and Rominl said.
Old 11-09-04, 01:25 PM
Dev
Rookie

Default Re: Re: Re: To 1SICKLEX

Originally posted by rominl
but the wheels are still owned by one of the members here
So is the body kit.

Quick Reply: Stationary SPINNING Wheels for SC 430 (Davin???)