Tire Replacement Options for the runflats

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-05, 10:01 AM
JJRHO
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default kumho ecsta asx vs. mx

hi,
i agree, i currently have mich pilot a/s and i was lucky, the car tracks fine but at 25K miles, wearing well but it's becoming very noisy already... like when the RFTs were wearing thin....

now, i have ASXs on my S500 sedan, which also initially wore mich pilot A/Ss and i love the ASX tires... very quite and excellent ride... and the tread wear is very high.... the interesting thing is,.... our S500 also pulled... i forgot to which side.... and when we swapped the fronts L/R, it went straight... we aligned....etc. and finally the problem corrected on rotating the tires....

question is: has anyone tried the kumho ecsta MX tires? i have a rear set on my NSX.... which is a 'new' car for me so don't have much experinece...
the MXs tread pattern is much more aggressive.... the wear is only 220s or so, but it's much more of a performance tire....like the pilots....but at 1/2 the wear and also 1/2 the price...

in general, the kumhos are very good tires at less cost.... tire rack is where i got 'em....

j.rho
02 sc430 60K
Old 01-10-05, 01:41 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by capper
I'm sorry, I'm not sure I know what a TSB is....where is a link to see the pricing for a temporary spare...I read somewhere on CL that Lexus wanted $900 for the spare..that, combined with the fact that with the top down, the trunk evaporates, left me to think of other options....if there is a place to get one to use "as needed" , I'd appreciate your helping me find it, thanks, Capper (PS, the Pirelli's showed up on my doorstep today....I'm searching for a qualified tire place to install them in place of the RF's, that won't mess up the air pressure sensors)...Capper
well you can always talk to lexus dealership to get the package to put a donut spare for the car. but it's going to be very small and it will COMPELTELY take away all trunk space. that's why i didnt'e ven think about this option. i will just get a spare wheel with tire, and only put the wheel inside the car if i am travalling out of town. if i am in town, there is always aaa and flatbed

for the spare, yeah i heard it's around 800 bucks?
Old 01-10-05, 03:19 PM
capper
Rookie

Default Pirelli's on the SC430....first impressions....

WOW...what a totally different car with the PNero Zero tires...I live on a little twisty two land road out towards Kentucky Lake, and all of the sudden, I'm sailing around 30 mph curves at twice that, with no drift. I'm running 42 pounds, and they are smooth as silk....all the bumps have magically disappeared from my road, in comparison to the runflats. I'll post more after I take a road trip this weekend of around a 1000 miles, but I'm really digging the Pirelli's (even though tirerack.com didn't send me a calender). The only hitch I had was my car didn't show up with the key for the locking lugs (found that out today when my installer called and couldn't find it), so I had them break the locking lug, and since I live in a relatively crimefree area, ordered four standard lugs from Nashville Lexus for 32 bucks, and I'm done. Also, I read somewhere on CL that the Lexus dealers were trying to charge a hundred bucks a tire to remove the runflats and install tires you bought elsewhere...I got all four of mine on, even with them having to mess with the locks, and alignment for $150.

Rom, when I called, just to see about the spare, Nashville Lexus told me it was $1000 "installed"...not going that route, I'll buy a 12V compresser and a patch kit, and cross fingers..

All the best, Capper loving his new Pirelli's on the SC430
Old 01-13-05, 07:49 PM
uutee
Driver School Candidate

Default Pierelli's and BMW Mobility Kit

I just put a set of Pirelli PNero Zero's on my 02 and bought a "Mobility Kit" from BMW, which is their answer for the no spare M5s. The tires a great so far, only a few miles, and the Mobility Kit (a compressor that plugs into the lighter socket and a can of "stuff" that gets injected into the tire with the compressor. It all comes in a wonderful black nylon zipper bag that fits nicely under the truck floor mat which covers the jack. Pricey at $150.00 but a nice package which I understand works really well. I also understand that the "stuff" will ruin the sensors if I ever need to use it, but that is the price of great ride and security of not getting stuck on long trips. By the way the sensors worked fine with the new tires.
Old 01-13-05, 08:15 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by uutee
I just put a set of Pirelli PNero Zero's on my 02 and bought a "Mobility Kit" from BMW, which is their answer for the no spare M5s. The tires a great so far, only a few miles, and the Mobility Kit (a compressor that plugs into the lighter socket and a can of "stuff" that gets injected into the tire with the compressor. It all comes in a wonderful black nylon zipper bag that fits nicely under the truck floor mat which covers the jack. Pricey at $150.00 but a nice package which I understand works really well. I also understand that the "stuff" will ruin the sensors if I ever need to use it, but that is the price of great ride and security of not getting stuck on long trips. By the way the sensors worked fine with the new tires.
that brings me the question. if you havea to replace the sensor coz' you damage it, do you have to replace all 4? and how much?
Old 01-13-05, 10:00 PM
JJRHO
Driver

Default sensors

no, only the broken ones... they were expensive at the stealer..... forgot but some $160 a piece....

jr
Old 01-13-05, 10:10 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by JJRHO
no, only the broken ones... they were expensive at the stealer..... forgot but some $160 a piece....

jr
ah that's not cheap at all...

anyway, they work by using wireless??

so i wonder. if two sc430 are side by side, if one has all flat, will the light on the other sc430 come on too?
Old 01-13-05, 11:10 PM
JJRHO
Driver

Default sensors

yeah, they are typical wireless sensors, 4 diff channels, the SC does NOT tell you which one is bad...you gotta look or measure the pressure...forgot what the difference is when it goes off... >8-10psi diff?!?
anyway, good question... i know that it has to be synchronized with the car's sensor/receiver... but, i guess it's a possiblity..of setting another car off?!? but as soon as they are apart, it'd go 'OFF'....

tell the tire tech to be careful...they can knock it or break it during tire installations...which happened to me.... cause they deny they broke it then...

jr
Old 01-14-05, 12:06 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

yeah, they are typical wireless sensors, 4 diff channels, the SC does NOT tell you which one is bad...you gotta look or measure the pressure...forgot what the difference is when it goes off... >8-10psi diff?!?
anyway, good question... i know that it has to be synchronized with the car's sensor/receiver... but, i guess it's a possiblity..of setting another car off?!? but as soon as they are apart, it'd go 'OFF'....

tell the tire tech to be careful...they can knock it or break it during tire installations...which happened to me.... cause they deny they broke it then...

jr
ah ic, thanks for the info. so i guess if one goes bad and i need replacement, i will need to somehow "sync" it up with the others? or that the 4 sensors come in 4 different channels? so basically when i get mine i will specifiy which wheel it is for?
Old 01-16-05, 03:36 PM
Carpe Diem
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pressure Sensors

I think they're color coded and your car can be set to recognize two differently coded sets. There's a little switch in the glove box area that allows you to switch between sets if, say you have winter and summer tires with differently coded sensors.

BTW does anyone have a set for sale? Light blue preferred since that's what my first set is but I'll settle for any color, I'll just have to ask Nuum how to program the second set.

George
Old 01-16-05, 07:21 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 218 Likes on 146 Posts

jr
That's not that expensive compared to the price Infiniti dealers charge for sensors for the G35 coupe in Canada - Canadian $600 per piece . I haven't checked with the Lexus dealer how much they charge for the SC430 sensors yet since I have them transferred to the valve stems of my aftermarket wheels & are working fine so far . . .
Old 01-16-05, 10:48 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by SexySC
That's not that expensive compared to the price Infiniti dealers charge for sensors for the G35 coupe in Canada - Canadian $600 per piece . I haven't checked with the Lexus dealer how much they charge for the SC430 sensors yet since I have them transferred to the valve stems of my aftermarket wheels & are working fine so far . . .
damn that's very pricey... i gotta be very careful on mine then
Old 01-16-05, 10:49 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Carpe Diem
I think they're color coded and your car can be set to recognize two differently coded sets. There's a little switch in the glove box area that allows you to switch between sets if, say you have winter and summer tires with differently coded sensors.

BTW does anyone have a set for sale? Light blue preferred since that's what my first set is but I'll settle for any color, I'll just have to ask Nuum how to program the second set.

George
ah gotcha, thanks for the info george
Old 01-17-05, 08:52 AM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

The good thing about the SC sensors is you can put them in any order you want, since there's no individual monitor, like on the vettes. Like somebody said already, if you get a light, better have a tire pressure gauge.
I noticed my light came on (first warning) with my tires still at a very healthy 30 psi; I use them at 33 psi. That's good for me, but it's very different from what the manual says. The buzzer is supposed to be triggered at 18 psi, but I suspect it's going to be a lot higher than that (maybe low 20s). All in all, it works.
Good day.
JC
Old 01-18-05, 12:54 PM
Doc C
Lead Lap

My sensors were $169 each at my dealer. Just FYI. Take care!!!

Quick Reply: Tire Replacement Options for the runflats